Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: do you carry bear spray?

From LV
No bear spray, they've always run from me, just like women do. But I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in PA over the weekend on the road along Babb Creek, he was bigger then a 100 lb. propane tank, and his belly was dragging on the ground.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 15:06

From NE OH
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Do you have any rafts and little umbrellas for my mixed drinks?

In fact the kids do have a few rafts and I will pick up some of those umbrellas for you. That pool is going to be pretty tight with you and all of those bears

Posted on: 2013/6/24 15:11

From LV
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
What!? I don't like those odds. That's more black bear attacks than I would have thought. Dang it! I better arm up when I"m in the Smokey's this Fall. What's up w/ Canadian black bear attacks, also...bears breaking into houses and cabins to attack people? Dang.

People being careless. Always make some noise in the woods, and if things suddenly get quiet, make more noise. Whistle and if you can't, carry one.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 15:53

They don't like ammonia. Use it at my cabin which is becoming over-run with bears, keeps them at bay.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 22:09

From Pittsburgh
I've never carried any.
And I fish some very remote areas. Have never been threatened - so far anyway

Posted on: 2013/6/25 8:09

From Armstrong County
I don't know about bears but it works well on people who think they have to fish the same run or pool as you on an otherwise empty stream.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 9:24

From Armstrong County
I don't know about bears but it works well on people who think they have to fish the same run or pool as you on an otherwise empty stream.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 9:27

From Mont Co, Pa
No. Of the 15 or so bears I have seen in Pa, every single one of them has run away once it realized I was a human. If you're close enough to hit a bear with spray, you're prolly going to get mauled anyway. It's the bear that doesn't run, that might change your world. I just break small branches/twigs while walking to let a bear know something is around. Bears don't like company.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 16:19

Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
No. Of the 15 or so bears I have seen in Pa, every single one of them has run away once it realized I was a human. If you're close enough to hit a bear with spray, you're prolly going to get mauled anyway. It's the bear that doesn't run, that might change your world. I just break small branches/twigs while walking to let a bear know something is around. Bears don't like company.

I've been dealing with bears at our cabin near Kettle Creek State Park since 1975. Please don't think for a minute that all bears run away, or even walk away. Only 2 bears I encountered this year ran away (out of 25+-). They become used to humans, now more-so than ever before. We don't feed them, but other camps on the mountain do. Discharge a firearm and they come back half an hour later following any scent of food they can smell. I now lay a line of ammonia around the porch and at the door to discourage them, especially since one particular bear tried to get into the door in April. I had to blockade the door with a picnic bench They are a pain in my azz.

And I've had several encounters along creeks where they just stand their ground. By the way, like other animals, they don't like eye contact.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 19:44

From Mont Co, Pa
Thanks for your concern, but I don't think that ALL bears run from humans. I was just saying that every one I've encountered ran from me. Like I said though, it's the ones that don't run that can be trouble. Almost all of the bears I have seen were in remote areas with very few, if any cabins/people around.

Being in an area where there are people feeding them, or leaving scraps around will embolden a bear without a doubt. In these cases you really need to be on your toes. I honestly think spraying a bear might even make him more pissed off!

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:04

wildtrout2,

I don't spray them directly with the ammonia. Yes I have thought of the reaction they might have if I sprayed them directly in the face. If they are close, I spray some ammonia into the air so they pick up the odor. That usually does the trick. The local Game Commission officer advised me to spray them directly with wasp spray (the kind that shoots a 20' stream) if they become too threatening. I actually feel sorry for them. Man made them into the nuisance they are today.

My wife and I are building a deck extension to our porch which will have handrail all around to act as a safe-guard. We're going to name it "The Bear Pen".

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:27

From Ephrata, PA
The amount of bears in the Kettle Creek area is staggering, to me. I see far more down there than I do at my camp in Potato City.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:06

Sasquatch,

The situation is becoming unBEARable. Our cabin is located on the top of the mountain at the Leidy iron bridge on Kettle Creek. We can't even enjoy an outdoor meal on the porch without having someone on "bear watch".

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:57

From Delaware County
Per an article in F&S, pepper spray or bear spray is your best option. It takes about 4-5 shots from a pistol to drop a bear and that's only if they're good shots. Bears apparently have a keen sense of smell, hence why a spray is the best potential defense. The article did a study of bear attacks over a 80 or 90 year period and had some interesting facts. Plus, black bears can climb trees. PM me if you want a PDF of the article.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 7:18

From Pittsburgh
I'd like to know if there is by chance, anyone out there who has tried spraying a charging bear - and how well it worked.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 7:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com