Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: do you carry bear spray?

From Ephrata, PA
Pennypack, I tend to agree somewhat. It does seem like we're gearing up to invade East Berlin or something. I travel pretty light. Camera, Richardson, and fly rod. I got my nippers, hemos, and tippet hanging off zippers that are clipped to the straps of the Richardson. I drop my keys down my waders, and my camera goes in the breast pocked of my shirt.

However, I think for all-day trips, especially in areas where I'm unfamiliar or I'm going to be quite some distance from my vehicle, I might take a sling pack or a back pack for stuff like TP, water, food, etc.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 8:50

From Anchorage, Alaska
I fish alone, mostly, in areas with lots of coastal brownies and a fair number of black bear. Always carry bear spray and a .44 mag with heavy loads, but figure my best defense is my brain, as in avoiding putting myself in situations where I might feel the need to use the spray and the handgun. Sometimes, though, "bears happen." I know two people who have used spray on charging or aggressive brownies and both reported that it worked as advertised. (If it hadn't worked, I reckon' they might not have reported anything at all...) On the other hand, you do have people who just can't avoid embracing the dumbass, but still live to tell about it. Case in point:

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/16/2942238 ... d-after-feeding-bear.html

Posted on: 2013/8/22 17:26

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
I currently live 5 miles from PA....

You are now an exPAt...

As long as it falls short of being an FOB.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 18:52

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

You are now an exPAt...

Full Of Baloney
Fresh Off the Boat
Flat On Back

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:12

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

RyanR wrote:

I used to (and still do when they offer it) go to hear Dr. Alt give seminars about PA black bears and I engaged in several discussions with him afterwards. During a seminar, he spoke of tagging (after tranquilizing it) a huge boar once that he said likely had a pre-denning weight of just over 1000lbs.

They don't weigh every bear that's been "tagged"? I'd think exact weight would be very important for their studies. I have to wonder if they weighed this bear previously, to guess a weight like that?

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:58

wildtrout2

I would think weighing tagged bears in the field would be very impractical. Years ago, I sold scales. So the 2 scales that come to mind are platform scales and overhead scales. Platform scales would be very impractical, and overhead scales require a structure overhead to support the scale and the object to be weighed.

I believe the game commission takes certain dimensions (length, girth, etc.) and estimates the weight. They also inspect the teeth and jaw to estimate the age. And if my understanding is correct, they inoculate bears with mange.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 22:16

Portable scales, dot weighs my trailer with them. They know what the trap weighs empty.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 3:40

On Sunday, in the Sproul forest, we met a PAGC ranger studying bears. He had traps in the area, including one near our campsite. The bears are tranquilized, removed from the trap, measured, weighed with an overhead scale, then given adrenaline or something so they recover and scamper off. They estimate the weight initially to determine drug dose, then actually weigh them. They check the teeth and general condition, tag them if they haven't been tagged already, and some get radio collars. He was checking 11 traps that day. No sidearm. No bear spray. No mange shots.

But he was wearing snake gaiters while riding in a truck.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 11:39

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

You are now an exPAt...

Full Of Baloney
Fresh Off the Boat
Flat On Back

It's a secret known only to people who grew up and hunted in NWPA, but here is a hint. The middle word is "Ohio" and the last word questions your legitimacy.

Some day I may get a vanity plate.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:07

Edited by FarmerDave on 2013/8/27 12:23:36

Quote:

mikephl wrote:
On Sunday, in the Sproul forest, we met a PAGC ranger studying bears. He had traps in the area, including one near our campsite. The bears are tranquilized, removed from the trap, measured, weighed with an overhead scale, then given adrenaline or something so they recover and scamper off. They estimate the weight initially to determine drug dose, then actually weigh them. They check the teeth and general condition, tag them if they haven't been tagged already, and some get radio collars. He was checking 11 traps that day. No sidearm. No bear spray. No mange shots.

But he was wearing snake gaiters while riding in a truck.

I was near there about 2 weeks ago with my wife and her niece, and while walking on a trail I found the answer of the age old question ... Bear do indeed shiit in the woods, right in the middle of groomed walking trails.

None of us had a gun or bear spray, but I'm fairly certain the niece and I could both run faster than my wife.

As far as snake gaitors while riding in a truck... that's kind of funny. I remember when I was a kid I was helping neighbors bail hay. I caught a large black snake and when I showed it to the lady that drove us there, she told me to put it in the cab so she can take it home and let it go in the barn. No bag and no cage. Just let it crawl under the seat. That cab seemed much more crowded on the trip home.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:22

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Quote:

RyanR wrote:

I used to (and still do when they offer it) go to hear Dr. Alt give seminars about PA black bears and I engaged in several discussions with him afterwards. During a seminar, he spoke of tagging (after tranquilizing it) a huge boar once that he said likely had a pre-denning weight of just over 1000lbs.

They don't weigh every bear that's been "tagged"? I'd think exact weight would be very important for their studies. I have to wonder if they weighed this bear previously, to guess a weight like that?

I believe he said he had weighed it in early spring and from that weight he extrapolated what it would likely weigh come late fall. It's not like the guy didn't have many years of hands-on experience with bears of all different weights to be able to make pretty darn accurate estimate. If I recall correctly he said it was the largest black bear he had ever had his hands on, and that says something given the bears he'd tagged or recorded over the years at check-ins. I remember the 100lbs part well because it was so stunning to hear, even considering there have been several with estimated live weights over 800lbs.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 12:18

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com