comparaduns

govtmule

govtmule

started tying some of these and have seen different variations regarding the tails. i have seen some with a trailing shuck and some with the adult tail. Anyone have insight on which one they prefer or why?

thanks
Jeff

Damn picky fish...don;t they read the tying manuals? I'd tie some of each and see which you and the fish like best...you may find each works well on different days...

A trailing shuck is designed to be more of an emerger. While the adult tails is designed to look like a spinner. So you'll want to fish the correct body color/style (ie. buggy or smooth) for each stage.

A little tip that works... You can tye your comparaduns in various colors and sizes with adult tails. Then carry a few scraps of a light material such as pantyhose nylon and put that on the bend of the hook to make your "spinner" an emerger. As I mentioned though, you want to be sure match the right color and size. Mayflies generally change color when they molt from the emerger to the spinner.

While you're tying up sparkle duns (the ones with the shuck), you might want to try an X-caddis. It's the same fly, only with a down wing like an elk hair caddis.

Here's the pattern for the XCaddis
http://flyshop.flyfisherman.com/fly_archive/details/1105.htm
Don't feel like you have to use the colors given in the recipe. You should vary those by the hatches you expect to see.

But bear in mind that you can carry a phenomenal number of patterns. Better to pick some general patterns that can be fished a number of ways... Whatever patterns you happen to pick.

Anyway, this is a good archive of patterns:
http://flyshop.flyfisherman.com/fly_archive/index1.htm

thanks for the info...much appreciated

jeff

With Sulphurs, try to catch the beginning of the rise, the longer into the hatch the pickier they get. Toward the last of the Sulphur hatch for the year, the Little J trout are real pros and very hard to fool, that is when I hit the bluegills.

Back