canoe trips

jmh159

jmh159

So my canoe has been sitting most of the year untouched. I want to plan a float trip sometime (most likely the upcoming spring). Any suggestions for a good trout fishing float trip. I live in south central PA and normally also buy an annual MD license as well. I have floated the Potomac outside of Sharpsburg, MD for smallies in the past. Would the North Branch in western MD be a good float. If so, any suggestions on where to put/take the boat.

Thanks,
J.

Hey JMH,

We floated the west branch of the Upper Delaware during late summer and had a great time. I would wait until flows are higher so you don't have to paddle so much, but the water is good water, and we never had to get out and walk even with the low flows. We launched from Balls Eddy, and floated down to Buckingham (10 miles), and another take out point (can't remember, closer to 6/7 miles). PM me and I can send you more information if helpful. Could be a bit far from where you are (google hancock, ny), but a good trip regardless.

not sure how much you want to put into this...but a good canoe trip is the Kinzu outflow on the Allegheny river above Warren PA...it starts out as a big trout drift and then depending on how long you want to fish or canoe or camp...becomes a small mouth fishery, largemouth, etc..

My boy scout troop is doing 83 miles of the river on Memorial day...5 days camping on the islands...it is a national waterway or something...I plan to take the fly rod for evenings...a good source is www.alleghenyindianwaters.com .

Boss

Not a trout trip , but those dudes from Newport took me on a 3 day trip on the Susk , from Sunbury to Montgomery's Ferry , stopped 2 nights and slept on islands they had fixed up for campsites , complete with makeshift johns , benches tied down for high water , it was a great trip i'll never forget , caught smallmouths the whole time. They had great meals and beer delivered to the islands by friends who would row over from pre-determined meeting spots , the one meal i remember was steak and wild mushrooms...awesome , the last night they even had a keg of beer brought out and we dropped it off the next morning at a landing.......empty. We never drank while on the river , those guys were right in enforcing that rule , it's just too dangerous , but we sure did make up for it in the evenings at camp. They even had piles of firewood already in place. Around here the float trip that gets the most attention is the upper end of the Yough , it's a trout float from what i understand , from the "point" in Confluence to downstream before the whitewater , gonna try that too sometime , from what i hear it's a good trip. There is a poster on here YoughRiverGuide , maybe check with him on that. GOOD LUCK , HAVE FUN

Osprey, who are the "dudes from Newport". That trip sounds great.

JMH,
Most of my canoeing is for warm water species and the Potomac River is tough to beat. Living in SC PA you ought to check out the Juniata River for bass as well (not as many fish as the Potomac but bigger).

Since you're interested in trout I'd encourage you to look upriver on the Potomac. The North Branch is a great trout river but has rapids and some tough to access water and wouldn't be something I'd consider for a canoe trip but if you're experienced with rapids you might like it. Downriver around Paw Paw and Cumberland, it's a bit slower with more pools and is more popular for float trips. Trout are still around but the river gradually transitions to warmwater species in this area. The Little Juniata River probably has some decent floats in the lower section although I have only wade fished this water.

I'd say the NBP would be better when flows are low during the hot Summer months..
As for Spring I'd have to say Big Pine..The canoing may be better then the fishing, but the fishing ain't bad either..

a nice trip in NW pa is french creek, lots of smallmouth and walleye action, beautiful creek to float.
I've read the C@O canal in MD is good for canoeing, not sure how the fishing is though. search some paddeling sites

Regarding trout and the North Br. Potomac: It's a fisheries experiment and watershed reclamation in progress. You usually hear about the upper section below J. Randolph dam, a beautiful area but also overstocked and fished, with so-so macros--I consider it Maryland's most overated trout stream. Never floated any of it, but others do, though I believe they typically use a raft because of some of the rapids and gradient.

North Br. around Westernport I have not fished, but the possibilities are intriguing. Surveys show trout at Westernport (mainly from fingerling stocking), then as you go down river trout mixed with bass, and then mainly bass. A 2005 AMD incident and its effects on Georges Creek and into the mainstem North Br. has not been adequately addressed, but the fish were still there in Fall 2006, according to survey work. Since you're not going until spring you could contact dnr and check for recent survey data and access suggestions, and whether a canoe is suitable. There's much less gradient in that area than the upper section, so I would think it would be fine.

See the following summary for info on the AMD in Georges creek by the biologist/angler who, though now retired, studied and did much of the MD dnr legwork for the North Br.

http://www.mac-tu.org/conservationconcerns_projects_georgescreek.html

I will second Big Pine in the spring. Float the canyon. There is only one or two dicey rapids in the canyon (Class 2) for a loaded canoe, but you can easily portage them if you are not feeling that adveturous. There are a couple really good campsites along the river for an overnight in the canyon (if I remember right, you need a permit which I thought was free). I forget what the min reading on the gauge should be, but that should not be that hard to find on the net. There are some large trout in the canyon and the hatches can get thick, but I think the fishing takes a second seat to the scenery and the canoeing.

Thanks guys, and just for the record, I am not completely ruling out warm water fisheries, I've just never really done a trout float, and was just wandering what my possibilities are. As for rapids....I mean some are ok, but I don't really want any "near death" experiences on the trip. Keep 'em coming though, I'll be doing alot of research on what you guys are suggesting.

The Pine should fish and be in great shape the middle of may. floating from above my place through the canyon is a great way to get a fish over 5lbs. they are there. watch my website for up to date stream conditions and hatches come april..

Cool, thanks Sandfly, I'll check out your site. Big Pine sounds interesting.

Sandfly, I have definitely experienced large trout in the canyon, do those fish find refuge in the small canyon tribs during the hot times, similar to Slate and Cedar, but on a much smaller scale? I always assumed that the canyon had the same temperature issues that exist below Blackwell, but it seems that large holdovers continue to hold a bit better in the canyon. Maybe the canyon water holds a lower temp due to the greater gradient???

springtime
1.) pine creek

summer small mouth trips
1.)Juniata
2.)Clear Creek
3)Clarion River
4.)Susquehanna River
5.)Upper Delaware River

I get to most each year. My favorite is the Juniata and Pine.

wildcat? go for a trip into the Adirondacks...
"we' are going on an extended trip there this summer to get the girls ready for Quetico!!

http://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Canoeing/dp/B0015V5QX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1259360935&sr=8-2

That's all I have to say about that ........

Would it be safe to assume that wherever a canoe can go, a kayak can too? Really looking to get into kayak fishing next year and a float trip sounds like the perfect way to enjoy life...

Back