Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: brookie streams that no one fishes

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

What does "prop up a bank or two" mean?

where the bank was crumbling into the stream and in danger of smothering it, i'd find a couple of stones or an old log and put it in tight to protect it a bit.

not undercut banks with a hole obviously cos thats prime brookie refuge.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 15:22

"Thanks Bob, you've screwed me up now!"

oh sure, blame me! But on your substantive point, there used to be carpet commercials in Cincinnati: "I don't care about making money, I just luuuuv to sell carpet."

Me:? "I don't care about catching a lot of fish, I just luuuuv to see remote wilderness ares of Pennsylvania." not quite as catchy, I admit :)

Posted on: 2013/5/14 16:10

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
quite a few streams up this way no one fishes...some are partly private that fish well..was just in Bradford co. on some brookie streams that people think don't have fish..

Posted on: 2013/5/15 6:25

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From LV
Quote:

geebee wrote:
lf these streams are not 'listed' what are the regs for taking brookies ?

I ask, cos it has occurred to me more than once that i find a thin blue line with lots of small brookies i wonder that if i thinned them a little whether that would 'grow' a bigger fish or two ?

the couple of streams i used to fish i used to go late fall with a rake and clear dead leaves from the gravel, remove deadfall, prop up a bank or two - even got Mrs GB out there too, to help the streams as much as we could.

Don't get caught during the fall doing 'stream improvements,' none can be done without a permit and cannot be done after October 1. What makes you think that raking gravel is a good thing anyway? You may be raking a redd. Generally trout don't spawn before rains wash away the leaves where trout might spawn, I think you're wasting time and effort.
Removing woody debris is also a bad thing. propping up banks is also questionable, I'd leave the stream imporving to experts.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 10:05

From Monessen, PA
I have never fished a stream that had not been fished before. I think people underestimate the extent of pressure and/or harvest that would actually make an appreciable difference in the fishing.

Usually, on any given "brookie" water, the pressure is concentrated in certain stretches and less in other stretches. Though walking a good distance will reveal these areas, sometimes just walking a few hundred yards over rough terrain will reveal them as well.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 11:00

"I think people underestimate the extent of pressure and/or harvest that would actually make an appreciable difference in the fishing."

I agree completely, but I'd still rather not fish right behind someone if I can avoid it.

I just get bored if I fish the same stream too many times, no matter how good it is. Plus, I grew up in a place without wild trout and I think all these little streams that have some wild trout are cool.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 11:26

From Monessen, PA
Fishing "behind someone" can be detrimental if they are sloppy with wading and casting and less than an hour has passed. I have never been convinced that any harm lasts much longer. I know a lot of people with more experience have anecdotal proof to the contrary, but I remain skeptical based upon my own paltry experience.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 13:02

From Philadelphia
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Fishing "behind someone" can be detrimental if they are sloppy with wading and casting and less than an hour has passed. I have never been convinced that any harm lasts much longer. I know a lot of people with more experience have anecdotal proof to the contrary, but I remain skeptical based upon my own paltry experience.

Jack, a month ago I would have disagreed with you but not anymore. k-bob and I fished a little brookie stream and actually came upon a pool of freely rising fish to something we couldn't see. We cast into the pool and both caught fish but in the process spooked fish in the tail of the pool to the head and the fish turned off. We both walked through the pool to get to the next spot and then fished upstream. About an hour later, we hiked back a path instead of close to the stream but the path crossed at the tail of the pool I mentioned above. Not only were the fish back in the tail but I was able to get a nicer sized brookie up at the head of the pool on the first cast. Now if it were wild browns, I'm not sure we would have seen fish let alone caught them in that pool.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 13:33

I know foxgap and jackm are right, that brookie fishing one or more hours behind someone may not be as bad as it seems, but I still would rather not do it. And I dont count fish, I count streams, rather be on a new place with less fish than a busy one with more fish.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:06

From Philadelphia
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
I know foxgap and jackm are right, that brookie fishing one or more hours behind someone may not be as bad as it seems, but I still would rather not do it.

Never said I "wanted" to fish behind someone, unless, of course, it's you Bob because I can always then repopulate my fly box with brightly colored flies that way.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:20

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

geebee wrote:
lf these streams are not 'listed' what are the regs for taking brookies ?

I ask, cos it has occurred to me more than once that i find a thin blue line with lots of small brookies i wonder that if i thinned them a little whether that would 'grow' a bigger fish or two ?

the couple of streams i used to fish i used to go late fall with a rake and clear dead leaves from the gravel, remove deadfall, prop up a bank or two - even got Mrs GB out there too, to help the streams as much as we could.

Geebee, you aren't doing the fish any favors by removing the deadfall. The fish are likely better off if you leave it alone. By removing it, you are only helping the predators. And definitely leave the rake at home. You aren't helping the fish, you are just helping the angler, and fishing these streams is not supposed to be like golf.

As far as the regs go, general regs apply, but the extended season creel limit does not. Once the regular season ends, no more harvest allowed. Extended season only applies to "approved" trout streams. On the flip side, if i is not an "approved" stream, then it is not closed to fishing from March 1 to opening day.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:23

I want to "pile on" here and agree with the others who have said: don't remove the deadfalls.

Deadfalls, downed trees, logjams, large woody debris (LWD) coarse woody debris (CWD). Whatever term you prefer, leave it alone.

As you walk along these backcountry streams, look at each pool, and notice what caused the formation of that pool. In a great many cases, the pool was caused by a downed tree, logjam, etc.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:45

From Monessen, PA
I, too, am a "lazy fair" angler. Clip a branch if you need a decent casting lane. Other than that, leave the stream alone. Nature will sort things out.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:51

More on deadfalls.

Earlier this spring I met with some people with a conservation group who are planning some projects to increase the amount of "large woody debris" (LWD) i.e. deadfalls, on small brookie streams.

One of the things I told them was to pick spots that are way back in there, far from the nearest road, to decrease the likelihood that someone will come along with a chainsaw and remove the LWD that you just put in. Because that happens a lot, unfortunately.

Imagine their dismay if they spent the time and effort required to place trees in a stream channel to create some better habitat, then have someone come along and take it out.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:05

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
[quote]

Don't get caught during the fall doing 'stream improvements,' none can be done without a permit and cannot be done after October 1. What makes you think that raking gravel is a good thing anyway? You may be raking a redd. Generally trout don't spawn before rains wash away the leaves where trout might spawn, I think you're wasting time and effort.
Removing woody debris is also a bad thing. propping up banks is also questionable, I'd leave the stream imporving to experts.

this was back in MA, on town forest land and i had permission.

the winter flow was very marginal and not enough to clear the leaves. in places the stream would stop flowing completely with clogs of deadfall and leaves.

some years the leaves could be 3-4" inches thick - i should say the stream was only about 5ft wide and was on a former Estate and in their wisdom they dyked both banks to a height of about 3ft above the natural bank, so there was no way for the stream to meander around deadfalls or wash away leave build up and silt.

the Estate had been derelict since the late 1880's but its records show that one brook had trout and the other alewives ( a small herring).

we felt at the time that if we could keep the headwaters clear that it would help the stream further down renew...

normally i would never touch a stream, but the only alternative would have been a very intensive digging out of both bank dykes, i appreciate and respect people's concerns though.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com