big maine? brookies

k-bob

k-bob

nice thread here:

http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7924

bigger brookies due to habitat, looks like fun.

from an old study on pa brookies, suggesting they grow at different rates in different streams:

"Brook trout > 4 in. long grow at the rate of slightly over an inch a year in the Dr. Green Branch, well over an inch in Hevner's Run, and approx. 2 in. in Trout Run and Hammersley Fork and its tributaries, the Bell and Nelson Branches."

Given the short life span of brookies, there can only be relatively big wild brookies where the habitat allows. Even with no harvest or stocking, if they dont grow relatively quickly due to habitat, there cant be bigger wild brookies in a stream. A highly infertile stream just wont have the food to produce bigger brookies, even in the back of beyond.

Im still not ready to go to maine, I think I'd roll the canoe on my first cast :)

I was just reading about Maine. This year the Smokies, next year Maine. I desire brook trout the size of my arm.

Interesting that the canoer describes the brookies as "thin" ;)

I'd love to get one of those Maine yuppies down here on one of our brookie streams hahaha! You want to see thin brookies!? Catch a brookie whose body is 75% head.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I was just reading about Maine. This year the Smokies, next year Maine. I desire brook trout the size of my arm.

I don't think there are 5' brookies out there anywhere.

Bazinga!

k-bob wrote:

from an old study on pa brookies, suggesting they grow at different rates in different streams:

Were you able find the complete study online, or info on the authors, publication, date, etc.?

I'd like to read it.

dwight that quote is from the abstract of the paper copied below (btw, anyone know about the habitat on "Dr Green Branch?")

Brook trout in Kettle Creek and tributaries.

Authors/Editors/Inventors:Watts, R. L. (Author); Trembley, G.L. (Author) ; Harvey, G. W. (Author).

Source:BULL PENNSYLVANIA AGRIC EXP STA. Vol. 437. 1942. 1-41.

Abstract:Report is made of studies conducted to determine (1) feeding habits of brook trout and the available food supply in the streams under observation, (2) their migratory movements in these streams and the relationship of temps. to such movements, and (3) their growth rate in small nursery streams closed to public fishing and also in the important tributary of Kettle Creek, Hammersley Fork, all of which is open to public fishing, and (4) to obtain as much information as possible which would be useful in planning stream management programs. Spawning occurs in Oct. and the first part of Nov. An incomplete fishermen's creel census taken in 1941 gave unmistakable evidence of the importance of natural propagation in Hammersley Fork, for 2,348 native brook trout were captured by fishermen from Apr. 17 to June 20. From Apr. 17 to June 2, 1,034 trout caught by fishermen averaged 7.31 in. in length. Practically all of the fish of legal size stocked in Kettle Creek are caught before they have a chance to migrate up the tributaries. The upstream migration in May becomes most active when water temps. are over 60[degree] F and when rains cause at least some rise in the streams. The downstream fall migration, which is much less than is generally supposed, occurs soon after spawning and particularly when there is a rise of water. There is little movement of brook trout from one small tributary to another, but there is considerable short distance movement between pools. Brook trout > 4 in. long grow at the rate of slightly over an inch a year in the Dr. Green Branch, well over an inch in Hevner's Run, and approx. 2 in. in Trout Run and Hammersley Fork and its tributaries, the Bell and Nelson Branches. Stream management is essential to the max. production of trout in this watershed regardless of the fact that most of these streams possess many natural advantages.

those brookies are dinks by Maine standards.

THESE are Maine brookies :

P9273383.jpg

CopyofP9053134.jpg

CopyofP7272841.jpg

these two are the same fish :

CopyofP7272820.jpg

CopyofP7272819.jpg

look at the girth on that gal...

GB

BradFromPotter wrote:

Did you catch these?

no such luck. all caught by one very good angler who guides for friends up there.

i'd say a good fish up there is 18" + - about 2.5lbs , but a fish of a lifetime is 22"+.

yes its a narrow range, but habitat degradation has limited the upper size. there used to be a top limit of around 26" - you can see many on camp walls around Rangeley.

there's two times to target them - summer during the hatch of big golden stones, and in the fall casting streamers at night.

this may be the Maine sense of humor but one night when my buddy stuck out his chest and said he'd caught a 17" measured wild brookie, the store owner said - 'great. how'd you cook it ? '

my best was 15" btw. but i know where and how to catch 'em.

;-)

My family recently bought a place up in Maine. I can't wait to get up there this summer to catch some of those fish.

i go up there twice a year, once for a business fishing trip and once for a golf trip (where i give up my donated golf team and spend the whole time fishing). geebee is pretty dead on regarding size, abundance, etc. didnt read the article but it should be noted that most of the beasts come out of ponds, not streams.

and ya, k-bob, flipping a canoe is not out of the question. no idea why there is not wider adoption of toons and boats. everyone i fish with up tgere is skinny and fit. they do not understand my "handicap" lol.

speaking to statement of bringing snobs down here to teach them how to fish.....lol. as can be expected, those big brookies in a stream bigger than upper d and more fertile, are much, much more difficult than the nonsense dinks around here. i would go as far as to say they are very discerning.

geebee is pretty dead on regarding size, abundance, etc. didnt read the article but it should be noted that most of the beasts come out of ponds, not streams.

all of those fish came from streams on public (not camp) water.

as to teaching people to fish - different strokes for different folks,

I am 100% sure that people that do well on the PA spring creeks on dries, would school the maniacs.

I'm also sure the maniacs would do pretty well with streamers on the Letort, U Delaware etc.

just imho, but local knowledge of times, places, patterns are AS important as presentation or knowing what the hatches are.

first time i went up to the magalloway, I went in to the Cotes fishing store in Errol, NH (with 3 full fly boxes...) I ask the guy what's hatching - size 12 stimmies and 16 copper johns he tells me.

what else i ask ? - that's all you need he says.....

and he was right, i got plenty of salmon and brookies in the 10-12" range, but there was a white water release that meant the big fish stayed doggo in the best holes.

its horses for courses.

Forget Maine, try Labrador. My buddy and are are driving up for 2-3 weeks in 2015. From what I've read, the deer hair mouse is the killer pattern.

Are you guys talking about my crack about getting a Maine yuppie down here on one of my streams? I was talking specifically about the comment that the brookies were "thin", which is why I said about catching brookies that were about 75% head.

just_jon is right go to Labrador, was there in 74. brookies don't count unless they are over 5 lb. pike eat the smaller ones while you fight them. would love to go up again.

Labrador is expensive and you must have a guide with you. Maine and northern New Hampshire are plenty far and empty enough to spread the fishing out, I fish the Upper Connecticut every year and hardly see any fishermen, at least by Pa. standards.

Is it brookies in the upper Conneticut as well, BH?

Back