« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: big maine? brookies

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

BeastBrown wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
as can be expected, those big brookies in a stream bigger than upper d and more fertile

Do rivers/streams of this nature have good public access in Maine?

absolutely. seeing posted rivers is unheard of. i have saw a couple of small areas of creeks that were posted but is was small sections of smaller creeks. people can be a bit more protective of ponds if they have cabins due to vandalism and theft.

oh. and tgey have green drakes for a month or two. ya. big brook trout eating big drakes.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Those pics of brooks in public streams are pretty impressive. Wonder how they fight.....most of the bigger brookies I've caught fight like wet socks.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:55

From LV
Hammersly Fork does not priduce big brookies because of poor habitat that is impacted by droughts and floods. They cannot survive if there is no water. In Kettle Creek it's a different mater, there are tribs to Kettle that produce large brookies and they can and do work their way down to Kettle. They are not Maine Large, bur in Maine large brookies are very hard to find without someone guiding you to the choice spots.
The brookies in the post look like stocked fish to me and are not typical Maine Brookies.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 22:03

From Pittsburgh
There is a wonderful, old style fishing camp called Red River, in northernmost Maine. It is located about 30, very difficult logging road miles south of Fort Kent, which is on the Canadian border. Rustic cabins with home cooked meals, not expensive. it is the jumping off place for probably 20 different ponds/small lakes, all with native brookies. You can hike in with your gear , and the owner (used to be the Brophy family..not sure if they still run it) has lugged canoes into most of the ponds. You unlock the chain and use the canoe .....can be tough fishing but can be spectacular.....native brookies sometimes over 20".....most 12-15".....great time but bring plenty of bug spray as previously noted...also...bring a miners head lamp as you will want to fish right until dark...many times that is when they turn on...it can be incredible fishing...eastern flies like Hornbergs...we had some hilarious moonlit treks of a mile or two back to camp through the dense woods...

Posted on: 2013/5/11 10:41

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:

sorry, wasnt implying your pictures were pond fish. was just pointing out there is extensive pond fishing up there and a lot of those really big beast photos are from ponds.

no mate, i know. i was just saying that these were river fish. i do know that there are some fearsome brookie ponds but that is a much much more secretive business than streams, as obviously pond fish are a finite resource and easily wiped out.

the guys up there that do pond fish are pretty hardcore - they'll sled a canoe up there midwinter, chain it to a tree and come back in the spring. its actually a sign of hot fishing in a pond to find a canoe chained to a tree. lol.

i know one guy who will actually dig a pit by hand for the canoe and store it there covered in ferns to hide it.

most of these ponds are unknown to the camps etc - camp ponds tend to have fish in the 12-16' range, but plenty of them.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:07

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

I think I will start investing some time into researching a 2014 trip. I bet Maine is an area I could even talk my wife into coming (ALMOST had her going to the Smokies with me!)

if you're taking Mrs Squatch i'd recommend the NH camps - Lopstick would be my choice. its right on the lake and she could chill with a book etc while you fish.

Maine is pretty hardcore - no cell phones, bugs, 35 miles to the nearest gas station etc...i wouldn't take Mrs GB there, but then i camp with a tent on the shore of lake Aziscohos, for the sunsets and sunrises more than anything.

if you could only do one trip to Maine, i'd make it fall when they're in spawning colour and you can swing traditional Maine streamers for them, like a Gray Ghost.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:16

From Ephrata, PA
Well my wife handles Potter County, and there's no cell phones and lots of bugs! Hardcore sounds awesome!

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:30

From Landenberg, PA
in which case black brook cove east shore should be your ticket.

if you have a tube you can fish right out front of your campsite.

you'll need a 4x4 for the access road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDMqnIk4mAU

less hardcore and actually on the Magalloway is the Aziscoho Valley Camping Area on rte 16 in Wilson's Mills.

i'm going to camp there next time because a) the access road to bcc is a PITA at night, and i want to night fish for hogs, and b) i haven't fished that part of the river - and its nice to just walk out and fish at dawn n dusk.

AVCA has no website btw just a phone #.

nearest gas station is in Errol NH and so is the tackle store - both 20 miles. if you have a hanheld cb vhf radio, bring it - if you hit a moose and total your car truck, help is NOT coming. you'll notice the locals all have CB's on their trucks.

if you do have a tube or kayak, beaver pond and little beaver pond are supposed to be good for fly fishing but i've never got round to it. taken the tube but just can't resist the rivers.

hit me up nearer the time, and i'll lend you my guide books and maps.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 15:22

From Ephrata, PA
Thanks dude. I'll definitely take you up on that offer!

I'm going to have to start showing my wife scenic Maine pictures. She rolled her eyes at me when I brought this up yesterday.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 10:45

From Landenberg, PA
has she seen a Moose. that was the deal breaker with my lovely bride.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 17:38

From harlansburg
moose are great to see, but you'll never see one if you want to, only when you're not looking for one! 4 trips with the girlfriend and no moose, everytrip by myself, yep, moose!
I'm afraid if we stayed at one of those isolated camps, my girlfriend would want to buy it and stay! she never realizes what places like that are like in the winter.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 19:07

From NC PA Mountains
Been to Maine & caught some very nice Brook Trout....but I think the real King up in Northwoods is the Landlocked salmon .

Posted on: 2013/5/13 20:02

From Landenberg, PA
as a PS to this I'm headed up on July 8 for two nights, and whilst checking for flows found this pic online - from 2011 it took a wet fly on a sink tip :

Resized Image

try not to swear/cuss...

Posted on: 2013/6/30 18:09

From Pittsburgh
The wife and I are planning a vacation to new england in september.
And I got her talked into letting me bring some fishng gear along.
I've read some nice things about the rapid river in maine, and am planning on maybe trying it for a few days.
Anyone ever fished it?

Posted on: 2013/7/1 7:56

From Tyrone
Never fished the Rapid but have fished the Magaloway and the Rangely in that area. The Rapid has limited axcess for good info on that area contact Bret Damn at Rangely Region Sports Shop, good guy and good guide. Got me into big brookies and landlock salmon. If you are in northeast Maine Grand Lake Stream has good landlock salmon fishing that time of year. The best fishing up there is smallmouth in my opinion

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:15

From Landenberg, PA
as far as i know the Rapid is only accessible each end by boat, then you wade it.

the lack of access and FFO meant it has maintained its reputation for brookies up to 4lbs +

if Rangely are not available, try Bosebuck or Grants camps guides.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 13:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com