Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: big maine? brookies

From Newville, PA
Forget Maine, try Labrador. My buddy and are are driving up for 2-3 weeks in 2015. From what I've read, the deer hair mouse is the killer pattern.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 21:30

From Ephrata, PA
Are you guys talking about my crack about getting a Maine yuppie down here on one of my streams? I was talking specifically about the comment that the brookies were "thin", which is why I said about catching brookies that were about 75% head.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 22:13

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
just_jon is right go to Labrador, was there in 74. brookies don't count unless they are over 5 lb. pike eat the smaller ones while you fight them. would love to go up again.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 6:24

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From PA and NH
Labrador is expensive and you must have a guide with you. Maine and northern New Hampshire are plenty far and empty enough to spread the fishing out, I fish the Upper Connecticut every year and hardly see any fishermen, at least by Pa. standards.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 7:59

From Ephrata, PA
Is it brookies in the upper Conneticut as well, BH?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 8:02

About five years ago I was in VT for a weekend. Driving back on sunday I passed a stretch of the upper Deerfield and pulled off and just decided to see if there were fish. Ended up catching a 14" thick brookie on the second cast. There are big natives up in the northeast, maybe not labrador big but big.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 9:23

From PA and NH
There are brookies all throughout New Hampshire, The Upper Connecticut has good fishing if you catch it right. My cabin is closer to the Androscoggin so I fish it more, it gets warm and has many hydro plants alond its length but still fishes well. As has been said , the real big brookies are more often seen in the ponds and lakes as opposed to the rivers.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

blueheron wrote:
Labrador is expensive and you must have a guide with you.

And faaaarrrrrrr

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:12

From Eastern PA
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

geebee is pretty dead on regarding size, abundance, etc. didnt read the article but it should be noted that most of the beasts come out of ponds, not streams.

all of those fish came from streams on public (not camp) water.

as to teaching people to fish - different strokes for different folks,

I am 100% sure that people that do well on the PA spring creeks on dries, would school the maniacs.

I'm also sure the maniacs would do pretty well with streamers on the Letort, U Delaware etc.

just imho, but local knowledge of times, places, patterns are AS important as presentation or knowing what the hatches ar

sorry, wasnt implying your pictures were pond fish. was just pointing out there is extensive pond fishing up there and a lot of those really big beast photos are from ponds.

regarding fishing styles, my point was the average small stream guy is going to have a tough time on the Aroostook.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:36

From Ephrata, PA
Oh I assume you're right about that. I actually look forward to having my arse kicked. Its part of the fun, you know? To hold a wild brook trout of that size in my hands though, it makes it all worth it.

I think I will start investing some time into researching a 2014 trip. I bet Maine is an area I could even talk my wife into coming (ALMOST had her going to the Smokies with me!)

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:41

From Eastern PA
sas, your wife would love Maine, possibly VT even more so. maine is less expensive in my experience.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:54

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Oh I assume you're right about that. I actually look forward to having my arse kicked. Its part of the fun, you know? To hold a wild brook trout of that size in my hands though, it makes it all worth it.

I think I will start investing some time into researching a 2014 trip. I bet Maine is an area I could even talk my wife into coming (ALMOST had her going to the Smokies with me!)

If you go in late spring, early summer I hope she likes black flies!

Posted on: 2013/5/10 16:18

From Eastern PA
ya. plan around black flies or at least find out how bad they are before going. werent that bad last year.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 16:26

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
as can be expected, those big brookies in a stream bigger than upper d and more fertile

Do rivers/streams of this nature have good public access in Maine?

Posted on: 2013/5/10 18:34

From Eastern PA
Quote:

BeastBrown wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
as can be expected, those big brookies in a stream bigger than upper d and more fertile

Do rivers/streams of this nature have good public access in Maine?

absolutely. seeing posted rivers is unheard of. i have saw a couple of small areas of creeks that were posted but is was small sections of smaller creeks. people can be a bit more protective of ponds if they have cabins due to vandalism and theft.

oh. and tgey have green drakes for a month or two. ya. big brook trout eating big drakes.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com