Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2

Re: big brown in a small freestone

From Pittsburgh
I know I'm very biased on this - but I really would consider trying a dry on it. What have you got to lose? If it doesn't take, then you start dredging.
My choice would be a large beetle - or even a hopper

Posted on: 2013/9/25 23:57

From United States
That is the great thing about our sport. You can try the beetle or hopper and it may work. However, I would suggest tying the beetle amazon. You could try it right at the last light of the day. When there is just enough light to see the ripples caused by the splat of the large beetle hitting the surface. Frustrated at the poor presentation and cast strip it in waking it across the surface thru the pool and over that trouts head. You know, you can still call it a beetle.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 7:22

From Pittsburgh
And you can also make a poor presentation with a streamer - snag some underwater vegetation or debris. All part of the challenge.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 7:46

From United States
dryfly, I'm sorry, you missed my vein attempt at being witty. I am not good at this stuff, always misunderstood. Tie the beetle overly big, Accidentally or on purpose do the described. You can call it a beetle irregardless of the reason the big trout exploded all over it.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 8:35
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Pittsburgh
Steno -

I kinda took your post as a sarcastic argument against trying a dry fly. My bad I guess

Posted on: 2013/9/26 9:03

From United States
It's not you dryfly, I confuse everyone in this forum. By forum, I mean typing as a form of communication versus speaking face to face. See what I mean.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 10:14
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
While a beetle or surface mouse might be a good first choice, I'd caution against using the "you can always go under afterwards" thought process. If you don't think it's your best option, don't have the mindset that you're not losing anything by trying.

Make your first shot your best.

In a small stream, the longer you linger, the more likely it is that you are discovered. Even if you don't cast, and just freaking sit there, the longer you sit the worse your chances become.

That first cast, when that big boy has no idea that anything out of the ordinary is going on. Do your best to make that one count!

That's why I said it's such a huge advantage to know EXACTLY where he lays. Not just which pool. But the exact spot. If you start casting to the tail when he's at the head, well, that's disturbing things, and lowers your chances at him when you get up to the head.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 10:15

Quote:

Stenonema wrote:
That is the great thing about our sport. You can try the beetle or hopper and it may work. However, I would suggest tying the beetle amazon.

What is the Amazon Beetle pattern?

Posted on: 2013/9/26 10:22

From United States
pcray, I agree. The first cast is the only cast on most small stream, big brown cases.
\

troutbert, Amazon was a term used to describe an attractive extraordinarily tall women in the eighties. I referenced the term as more of a style of tying the beetle.
Perhaps we should move to the Fly Tying section and design this new pattern, that we could call The Amazon Beetle or even the Waking Beetle. I'm picturing spun deer hair as big as a half dollar, loosely trimmed leaving some fibers out the back like wing tips and maybe some large round rubber legs.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 10:45

From Pittsburgh
I've tied and fished chernoble ants on the green river out west. Just a large foam ant, tied on a #10 long shank hook.
Might be a more recognizable name for a giant beetle

Posted on: 2013/9/26 11:11

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Stenonema wrote:
pcray, I agree. The first cast is the only cast on most small stream, big brown cases.
\

troutbert, Amazon was a term used to describe an attractive extraordinarily tall women in the eighties. I referenced the term as more of a style of tying the beetle.
Perhaps we should move to the Fly Tying section and design this new pattern, that we could call The Amazon Beetle or even the Waking Beetle. I'm picturing spun deer hair as big as a half dollar, loosely trimmed leaving some fibers out the back like wing tips and maybe some large round rubber legs.

My recollection of the term "amazon" in reference to a woman was one who as very muscular and tall. Not necessarily good looking. Unless you have a thing for tall muscular women in which case any of them would be good looking.

So i think the name amazon beetle fits regardless how good lookin it is tied.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 12:33

From United States
I don't know how to quote.
Mo, I think you are accurate on the Amazon definition. Just so happens the first time I heard the reference it was a friend asking me who the two jaw dropping sisters were that were slumming with me.
I am an eternal optimist and can almost always find something I like. So I guess, I'm in agreement on all points. Yup and Yup.

I like it. Amazon Beetle I don't have time or I would spin one up. Not that I would know how to post it. Same reason I don't have an avatar.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:57

A lot of advice, but here's my two cents...

Tie on a big, busy streamer, I'm talking something with Krystal flash, rubber legs, nice webby hackle and really nicely plumed maribou. Tie on as much #censor# on it that you can so that as it falls it wavers. Stay low and away, cast it so that only your leader hits the water if possible. Give it a few seconds to fall if the current allows and then strip it. This will give you two presentations in one drift.

Welcome to boom city.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:59

A lot of advice, but here's my two cents...

Tie on a big, busy streamer, I'm talking something with Krystal flash, rubber legs, nice webby hackle and really nicely plumed maribou. Tie on as much #censor# on it that you can so that as it falls it wavers. Stay low and away, cast it so that only your leader hits the water if possible. Give it a few seconds to fall if the current allows and then strip it. This will give you two presentations in one drift.

Welcome to boom city.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 18:38

From cambria county
what is boom city?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 19:00

« 1 2

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com