best fly shops in PA?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

What are your five favorite fly shops? Not online, but local shops. I’m not actually trying to rank them but learn about other shops around the state that I haven’t been to but are worth a visit.

Mine are:

1. Evening Hatch in White Haven
2. Fly Tyers Heaven in Sunbury
3. Flyfishers Paradise in State College
4. The Feathered Hook in Coburn
5. Ketttle Creek Tackle Shop in Cross Fork

Cant say that I have visited more than a few flyshops in PA.

Some of the ones you mentioned and

E. Hille, The Angler's Supply House
811 S. Market Street
S. Williamsport, PA 17702
(p) 570-323-7564 (f) 570-323-9995

International Angler
501 Freeport Road
Aspinwall, PA 15212
Tel: 412-782-2222

For me there is only one. Fishing Creek Angler in Benton.

http://www.fishingcreekangler.com/

Rolf

My favorites:

International Angler in Pittsburgh
FFP in State College
Slate Run Tackle shop.

If you can't find what you're looking for in any of these shops, you probably don't really need it

Dear tabasco,

AA Outfitters
Clouser's
FFP
Slate Run Tackle Shop

I've been dealing with all of them for about 20 years or longer in some cases. Between them they got me covered.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

AA Outfitters in Blakeslee, PA.

It's the only shop I visit, except when I need Orvis SS tippet material.

Rolf wrote:

Rolf

I was going to swing by there today on my return from central Pa. But I checked the internet before I left and found they were not open on Mondays. Amazing how many shops are closed on Mondays. I can understand but a guy in need of equipment better not wait till Monday.

What is it about them that sets them apart?

The TCO flyshops in State College and Reading are some of the best PA shops I've been in. I'm either unfamiliar with others mentioned (Slate Run) or agree with others mentioned. Oil Creek outfitters does pretty well with basically a living room from a farm house converted into a flyshop. I have to make a special note about the Feathered Hook in Coburn. Jonas has created a really nice fly shop all the while with the work ethic of Ron White. And I can safely say that would be HIS admission, not mine.

It is tough to get a good start in our sport without good fly shops for help and recommendations. I think more people start there, however you may want to think of that, than with TU and other sporting groups having intro classes and the like. Without good local fly shops and the extended infrastruture beyond (customers, conservation groups, sporting groups and various hangers-on) you won't have much of a FFing following in an area. Oh, a good trout stream helps.

NUMBER 1 - has to be flyfishers paradise. a couple reasons are, a few years ago while i was in college there my buddy won about 3000 bucks playing online poker and deceided to buy a new fly rod. he gets there with the intentions of buying an orvis superfine, no testing out rods or anything. at that time i think they were a little more than 500 bucks. before he pays for it i forget the guys name, (it wasn't steve dan or doug back then, it was the other guy) asked him why doesn't he try out a g loomis before he buys the superfine, stating its just as good and about 200 bucks less. at the time i couldn't believe he was trying to sell him a cheaper rod when my friend had the money out for the superfine (and yes there were a couple more of the same exact superfines still on the rack). now that in my opinon is top quality service. another thing i love about flyfishers paradise is that there's no guide service attatched with the fly shop so on the well known rivers and streams they'll give you a straight answer about where to fish and whats working. as long as they're in business and i get to fish center county now and then i'll never buy from another shop

SECOND - a&g outfitters scranton, they're my home flyshop and they're about the most relaxed people i've met. always in a good mood, say hi when you walk in the store and ask "where you fishin today" if you stand by the flies long enough with a blank stare on your face. all around good guys.

My favorites:
Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters
- Tony is a great supporter of our TU Chapter and others!
Fishing Creek Angler
- Lee is just an all around great guy!
Feathered Hook
- Jonas rocks!

Support your local fly shop. You may spend a few more dollars but the advice and service is well worth it. You won't get any of that buying on the net.

tabasco_joe wrote:
Rolf wrote:

Rolf

I was going to swing by there today on my return from central Pa. But I checked the internet before I left and found they were not open on Mondays. Amazing how many shops are closed on Mondays. I can understand but a guy in need of equipment better not wait till Monday.

What is it about them that sets them apart?

Sounding more like a commercial but here goes. Service and selection. You can get a rough idea of the lines they carry from their site. Nice stuff and a decent inventory. The flies they carry are the best I have seen and I have also heard that from others. If you tie, then you’ll love this shop for their supplies. The shop is owned by Lee and MaryAnn Gaul, both of who are as good as it gets. Lee is also always generous with his stream information and very helpful with newcomers to the area. He genuinely loves Fishing Creek and wants everyone else to love it too. There is also no pressure there. If you want to try out a rod, feel free. Lee won’t be following you outside to stand over your shoulder. I once asked him why not and his answer was, either a rod speaks to you or it doesn’t. Take all this and add in a REALLY nicely laid out shop with a B&B attached, and it’s hard to beat. Besides that, any place that has a dog or two to greet you when you open the door has to be a nice place. Nancy & I make it up there at least 6 to 12 times a year. Again, I apologize for sounding like a commercial but you asked.

Rolf

Neshannock Creek Fly Shop
Main St
Volant PA 724-533-3212
Two others have closed in my area.
The next closest to me is in the opposite direction from PA. I dont know what they're doing there. They're an Orvis dealer but they are into bass and such.
TMF Sport Shop
4081 Sandy Lake Rd
Ravenna, OH
My first favorite was also in Girard OH and it went out of business. I took fly tying lessons there, and they had the best gear around.

I usually go to TCO in Reading. They've always been good to me. Other than that, I've had wonderful experiences with FFP, Slate Run, and Fishing Creek Angler. I plan on hitting the sporting gentleman when I get more than $30 in my bank account.

Even though their selection can sometimes be lacking, French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville is serviceable as well.

i can't say enough good things about the sporting gentleman in media.i stopped there on sunday on my way to ridley creek .

i got to witness a parking lot casting session to zero in on line weight,of a seemingly unused payne.this rod looked like it was brand new.a real payne,sheesh.

anyway barry,mary and the staff at the sporting gentleman are always very helpful ,but never pressure you into a sale.i like that.

i wish there was a fly shop in PA that was like fat nancies up in pulaski NY.i love that shop.

i also wish there was a fly shop in philadelphia.preferably right in rittenhouse area. :}

TCO in Reading and Fishing Creek Anglers in Benton are two of my favorites. They have both seen a lot of my money over the years. Great people run both shops.

Ron

Flyfishers Paradise
Yellow Breeches Outfitters

I have been in TCO in Reading but not their other shops. My impression was "sterile", meaning it didn't seem to have any character. Yellow Breeches does (have character) and would be just out of my top 5.

Feathered hook.. #1 for me, Jonas and Jim always take care of me!

FFP.. Always treated me well!

Yellow Breaches, Clousers, good people and close to home!

I'd say that there are good fly shops in PA and I'd say FFers Paradise and the Coburn shop are very good, but to say one is the best is irrelevent, because as a former retailer I have a jaundiced eye for such things. I can't say how many times I've stopped by a shop for a certain very specific item only to find they didn't have it, something that comes to mind is tippet material, Never, never, never run out of tippet material, it is essential for everyone to have the tippet they need.
Also fly lines is a biggy, too often I've been in shops that didn't have a 4wt wf line in anything but flourecsent colors. They ought to all sell camo clothing or at the very least clothing that blends in with the woods and fields around streams, bright blue and pink shirts don't cut it. Of course some of the blame rests on the shoulders of the marketing people, probably because they don't fish they don't understand.

I only go 2 places.

E-Hille's- I used to work there, it's local, and their tying selection is expansive. As of this month, it is under new ownership.

Feathered Hook- Jonas and Jim hooked me up when I was starting a tying club at my school- something no other shop in the area even hinted at doing when I called them.

Back