« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: best fly shops in PA?
From Gettysburg
Flyfishers Paradise
Yellow Breeches Outfitters

Posted on: 2007/11/13 6:47

From bucks cty
I have been in TCO in Reading but not their other shops. My impression was "sterile", meaning it didn't seem to have any character. Yellow Breeches does (have character) and would be just out of my top 5.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 7:27

From Enola, Pa.
Feathered hook.. #1 for me, Jonas and Jim always take care of me!

FFP.. Always treated me well!

Yellow Breaches, Clousers, good people and close to home!

Posted on: 2007/11/13 7:35

From LV
I'd say that there are good fly shops in PA and I'd say FFers Paradise and the Coburn shop are very good, but to say one is the best is irrelevent, because as a former retailer I have a jaundiced eye for such things. I can't say how many times I've stopped by a shop for a certain very specific item only to find they didn't have it, something that comes to mind is tippet material, Never, never, never run out of tippet material, it is essential for everyone to have the tippet they need.
Also fly lines is a biggy, too often I've been in shops that didn't have a 4wt wf line in anything but flourecsent colors. They ought to all sell camo clothing or at the very least clothing that blends in with the woods and fields around streams, bright blue and pink shirts don't cut it. Of course some of the blame rests on the shoulders of the marketing people, probably because they don't fish they don't understand.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 7:44

From Lewistown
I only go 2 places.

E-Hille's- I used to work there, it's local, and their tying selection is expansive. As of this month, it is under new ownership.

Feathered Hook- Jonas and Jim hooked me up when I was starting a tying club at my school- something no other shop in the area even hinted at doing when I called them.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 8:04

From Harrisburg PA
Clousers

Yellow Breeches Outfitters

The Evening Rise

TCO

FFP

Posted on: 2007/11/13 8:16

From Delaware Co.
Sporting Gentleman Hands down Barry and Christine have helped me so much in getting started in fly fishing I couldn't ask for better service and advice from a Fly Shop. And they have the best selection in my area also

Posted on: 2007/11/13 8:22

From collegeville, pa
TCO in reading has character..any place that has a picture of J. Garcia on the wall is cool in my book...
The guys at the Evening Hatch are very nice too.

jeff

Posted on: 2007/11/13 8:26

From bucks cty
Quote:

govtmule wrote:
TCO in reading has character..any place that has a picture of J. Garcia on the wall is cool in my book...
The guys at the Evening Hatch are very nice too.

jeff

Maybe I have to stop in and take another look at TCO. Just my first impression.

I fish central Pa a lot, Center and Union counties. It's great to have both FFP and the Feathered Hook. Also a new shop in Laurelton called Penns Creek Angler. It's good to see a new shop when so many others are closing.

Chaz, your right about line colors. As I am getting better at casting and spooking fewer fish with my approach I am noticing that the bright lines seem to scare fish. I'm migrating to more subtle colors.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 9:21

From Westmoreland Co
Well here's my stab at it.

FFP while I was in school and had a good friend who worked there.

Spruce Creek Fly Co.(now part of TCO) - Eric Stroup always treated me awesome.

Oil Creek Outfitters - Mike is a great guy and thats where I got the first fly rod I purchased myself.

The Contented Angler - Lower Burrell PA Amy and Joe are great people and are more interested in you than the buck they might make off of you.

To me it's always more about the people and how they treat you compared to what they have in the store (though that's important too) Good company with a fair price and I'll be a loyal customer without question.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 9:27

From Westminster, MD
Slate Run

Posted on: 2007/11/13 9:38

From Lancaster, Pa
The Evening Rise

I could be bias though, because its only a couple miles from my house.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 9:47

From Berks County
govtmule,
I couldn't agree more about seeing Jerry Garcia on the wall at TCO. It is great walking into the shop and hearing the Grateful Dead playing. Oh, they are also very friendly and helpful too!

Troy

Posted on: 2007/11/13 10:14

From Delaware Co.
I'm puzzeled on why people like Jerry Garcia so much . When I think of Jerry I think about high dirty Hippies driving in a WV van going to a dead concert while thier wasting thier lives talking trash about corporations and the goverment and they don't even vote to change what they are complaining about . And I also think about those same hippies spitting on the vietnam vets when they were returning home from war. If I can say one thing about Jerry he does have character but I can't find a good part of it for anyone to like . And can someone please tell me something good about him so I can change my point of view about him ... Just my 2 cents ............

Posted on: 2007/11/13 10:45

Great thread.

#1 for me hands down is TCO in Reading. Great atmosphere, good ambiance, all the tackle needs you could ever want...and Chad does have good tunes going all the time.

Yellow Breeches has great ambiance and nice folks....ashame the stream isnt better.

Western PA...International Angler

Honorable Mention would go to AA Outfitters, and Wilderness Trekker

Posted on: 2007/11/13 10:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com