albino mayfly?

SBecker

SBecker

Fishing a local tailwater this evening and had this pure white mayfly fall on my hand. It looked a little deformed, and I have never seen this type of mayfly before. Is it just a spinner of some type, or an actual albino mayfly?

Meh, can't upload photo from phone will upload from computer little later.

This?

400_F_19213368_C5RC4lkEbpGYsk2m5WTSTlVXxu64Xi0a.jpg

Clear wings, dark brown/red eyes

oh it was this

NeverendingStory.jpg

Best guess at this time of year, would be a cream cahill spinner.

White flies are also a very chalky white. But they don't usually hatch until late summer

That's what I was shooting for lol

Here it is.

Attachments

• White Mayfly.jpg
    White Mayfly.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
They are all over the susquahana too. I think it is from the ephemerlla genus like sulfur, pmd and cahills. If I am not mistaken its ephemella dorthoia or something ....

Ok yes epheremella dorothea. Aka sulfurs , just a different variety I guess. I was in wilkes-barre tonight and green drakes and white flies were coming off. They weren't the august white flies that close down bridges but a all white size 16 mayfly. Upon further inspection I found it to be a very light sulfur. It basically loomed like a pale version of a Lt. cahill.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
Ok yes epheremella dorothea. Aka sulfurs , just a different variety I guess. I was in wilkes-barre tonight and green drakes and white flies were coming off. They weren't the august white flies that close down bridges but a all white size 16 mayfly. Upon further inspection I found it to be a very light sulfur. It basically loomed like a pale version of a Lt. cahill.

Yup, I would guess.

(Pic for Troutnut)

Attachments

• Dorothea - Sulphur.jpg
    Dorothea - Sulphur.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5
Thanks guys.

Such I have been only fly fishing a year, I have never seen a white sulphur before.

Pale Watery Dun

I was fishing the Pohopoco last night and around 8:15pm, there was a massive, epic hatch of these things. Fish were going nuts. Had a great time.

I'm going with Cream Cahill Spinner they are pretty common this time of the year. But how big was it?

dubthethorax wrote:
I was fishing the Pohopoco last night and around 8:15pm, there was a massive, epic hatch of these things. Fish were going nuts. Had a great time.

Dammit, I got home from my old man's about 7:45, I knew I should have run down to the Po, I'm only about 2 minutes away. Glad somebody got into them, well not really but it sounds nice,LOL.

Funny thing is, there was also a sporadic caddis hatch coming off and I was catching fish on those. Once the sulphurs were coming off (or whatever these were) I didnt have anything to match them so I was dipping my caddis in silicone desicate drying powder to make it white. they had no problem taking it then.

Dub and Ryan you need to contact me when you fish there. That's where I was as well. Where were you fishing dub? I hammered them.

We originally were going to fish the Lehigh, got all the way up there, and realized it was a scheduled release weekend! DOH! I almost killed myself wading out to the island at Palmerton. I'll never do that again. I seriously thought I was going to get washed away. Dumb move on my part.

That sucked and we got no hits so we just looked on the GPS for a spot on the Poho. We wound up fishing right at the beginning of it, right where the trees start down from the white water, at the parking lot. No big fish, but constant action.

Back