Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Zebco 202

From Lancaster
I started flyfishing at age 12. My first outfit was a heavily used white fiberglass Shakespeare Wonderrod with a Phleuger reel ... Still have it. I caught my first trout on the fly rod that year in the FFO stretch of the West Branch of the Octararo Creek just upstream from the mouth of Stewarts Run. The fly stretch on the Octararo was definitely where I cut my teeth in flyfishing. Great memories!

Posted on: 2/15 20:11

From Greensburg, PA
Grew up spin fishing. Biking distance to Maiden Crek, Willow creek and lake Ontelaunee. Found my way to Antietam dam, Bernhard's dam...

One Christmas my mother bought me one of those Diawa blow mold cases with a spin/fly outfit. Only used the spin outfit but it was nice to stash in the car.

One Sunday, in college, I was headed to Mill creek near Clarion and realized there was nowhere on the way to buy bait on Sunday. Pulled up to the creek figuring I had to have a spinner or something in the case. I looked at the fly reel and reversed the handle on the 6 1/2 ft rod, tied on one of those flashy florescent blue flies that come with those kind of kits and headed upstream.

It's not a big stream so short casts came pretty easy. Got lucky and dropped the fly in the middle of a deep bend pool and it traveled right through the seam like my worms and minnows always did. Huh...

Big fat holdover slapped his tail, the tip bent over and he was hooked and so was I. Caught a couple native bookies upstream a little further, something I'd never caught with bait. That was the clincher. Those spots!

Now, other than a surf rod I use at the beach, the only spinning rod I own is the first "real" fly rod I ever bought with an ultralight reel on it.

Oh yeah, I had 303.

Posted on: 2/15 20:42

From Lancaster, PA
I started flyfishing when I went to college in 1965.

My first outfit was spinning, a Mitchell 300 and a Shakespeare Wonder Rod. We had a cabin along the Susquehanna in York County, the cabin was burglarized and my rod and reel were stolen. Several months later the Pennsylvania State Police recovered them and they were returned to me. I still have them and they still work. Last month my 10 year old grandson was using them to fish with shrimp off the dock in Florida and the tip top came off the Wonder Rod.

My first fly outfit was a Phillipson fiberglass rod and a Pfluger reel both of which I still have, but no longer use.

Posted on: 2/15 20:59

From harlansburg
A certain farmer from ohio and I may or may not have fished his pond with Zebcos a few years ago!!

Posted on: 2/16 7:03

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
A certain farmer from ohio and I may or may not have fished his pond with Zebcos a few years ago!!

HEY IF GUYS CAN RE-ENACT THE CIVIL WAR, WHY CAN'T YOU ?

Posted on: 2/16 9:39

From Peasant Gap
Oh yeah. The trusty zebco outfit. Got started with one of those around kindergarten and used through my childhood. I started fly fishing at 12or 13. I didnt really get independent with it until my mid 20s

Posted on: 2/16 19:30

From SW Pennsylvania
Gotta start somewhere! Zebco 202 and 404 were my first rods, as I moved on to spin casters, which is what I used to develop my love for fishing. I didn't even start fly fishing until I was 35, which is when I started having kids. Long story short, I am still a novice fly fisherman, and very much learning. I use spinners and fly gear depending on the trip. The only variable that has changed is that I rarely, if ever, use live bait. I used live bait for the first time in forever ice fishing in Minnesota last year. My hope is to introduce my boys to fly fishing at a younger age and let them have fun with fishing regardless of the "type". God rest my Dad's soul, but I wish he would have introduced fly fishing when I was young. He was a great/only influence on me, but I hope to sow three more fly fisherman over the next 5 to 50 years.

Posted on: 2/17 0:22

From South Central PA
I as probably about 12. My first nice fly rod was a Fenwick glass - $35.

Posted on: 2/25 8:16

From Other side of the tracks
I can't believe I missed this thread.

What is a Zebco 202?

Bought my first flyrod when I was about 11 give or take a year. It was an old H-I bamboo. Circa 1934. It set me back $5 which was a weeks pay at the time (paper route).

I knew nothing about fly fishing, just noticed all the fish eating bugs off the surface in my uncles pond. First time I used it for trout was when I was about 18 or so, and it wasn't exactly legal.

Tom, my little brother had a 303. He may still have it.

Posted on: 3/1 13:02

The 202 was my first fishing reel. Caught many a white perch on it, and eventually a 2 1/2 lb. smallie.

But the memory that sticks in my mind was my first time stream fishing, at age 10, for sunnies and rock bass in Conodoguinet Creek below the dam. With an unsplit cane pole and bacon for bait. Original tenkara style. Hammered them at the edge of every weed bed. Took them home- a 15 minute walk- fried them up and chowed down.

Then two months later we moved, to a Maryland suburb with no freshwater fishing opportunities within an hour's drive.

Posted on: 3/3 14:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com