Youth Team USA wins GOLD Medal!

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

Just got off the phone with the President of the USA Youth Team. Our kids won the gold medal at the Youth Flyfishing World Championship in Italy.

One of the kids, Danny Marino won the Individual Silver medal.

Way to go, boys!!!

Thats pretty cool. Congrats to our boys.

Dan Marino, huh? hehe

Congratulations to these fine young men!

USA USA USA!!!!

pcray1231 wrote:

Dan Marino, huh? hehe

Obviously not related considering he actually won something.

Yeah, Dan Marino. I first met him four years ago, and funny thing is, he looked like a young Dan Marino (ex Pitt/Miami QB).

FWIW - three of the six team members that competed are PA boys.

congrats!

Pa PA PA...
We need SOMETHING to cheer about, right?

This is a fantastic result brought about by the hard work of some outstanding young people. Great job!

Half of the team is from PA? Right on! Congratulations!

Hi Dave - That is the adult team results.

Here is the Youth Team results.

And here:

http://usyouthflyfishingteam.com/

Ed

USA

How does the scoring and placing work?

csoult wrote:
How does the scoring and placing work?

I was afraid somebody would ask that. I forget exactly how it works, but individuals are awarded a certain amount of points for each legal size fish (20 cm?). Points are added for additional length over the minimum. These points determine your placing in each session (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc). These placing points are added together to give you your final placing points - lowest number wins.

Four years ago, when they had the YFFWC in State College, they had a computer program that figured it all out, as well as randomly assigning competitors to their beats. At the time, I had to know all that stuff, but four years has erased a lot of the scoring details from my memory.

Also, you'll notice that only five of the team members actually fish - the sixth is an alternate. In 2007, Dan Marino was the alternate for Team USA. He was pretty bummed about not being able to fish, and I had a long sit down talk with him. I told him his day would come, and he should pay close attention, and learn all he could. He listened well! To cheer him up, I clipped my ID tag on his shirt and let him walk around with it for a bit. I'll attach a photo of him wearing it. Really nice kid.

BTW, we were allowed to have a PA Team in 2007, since we were the host country. Loren Williams coached it, and wetnet's son was the alternate on that team. They finished seventh overall!

PA - what a country! :cool:

Attachments

• 2007_0809YFFWC0028.JPG
    2007_0809YFFWC0028.JPG
    717.5 KB · Views: 4
I was gonna say. On the adult results, the USA team had the most points, and was 2nd in # of fish, yet finished 5th.

The youths, on the other hand, finished 2nd in points, and 2nd in # of fish, behind the Czech Republic in both categories. However, the USA finished 1st while the Czech's finished 5th.

Placing makes sense.

It seems like it's somehow weighted for team average. When you look at the USA the worst overall place out of the 5 team members was 13th overall. Yeah the overall winner was from the CR, but they had 32,33, and 43th place overall. There's something behind those numbers that show the US should have won, which they did.

Awesome job USA!

ryguy,

By placings, keep in mind, thats in multiple sessions. It looks like 5 sessions.

Lets say I fish 5 sessions. Each session they keep track of everyone's points in that session, and rank us at the end of each session. Now, in the 5 sessions, I've finished 1st, 20th, 12th, 5th, and 3rd.

Now, at the end of the competition, they take all 5 sessions for each of us, and add up our placings. Total points don't matter at this point, it's about placings. I would have finished with 41 placings (1+20+12+5+3=41). The individual rankings are then based on these placings, with the lowest # finishing highest.

For team scores, they simply add up the placings for each team member to get a # of placings for the whole team, and rank that.

What I don't know is whether there are only 5 team members. I thought there were more but could be wrong. Do they only take the top 5 for each team?

Awsome!!

I'm not really in to competitive fishing but I kind of wished I would of went to the clinic they had and tried out, even if I didn't make the team. Anyone know what the age cutoff is?

I think the age cutoff is 18 yrs. There's more than 5 kids on the team, but only 6 are chosen for the championship. 5 actually fish, one is an alternate.

Back