Youth Fly Fishing World Championships

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

To All Forum Members:

The Youth Fly Fishing World Championship will be held IN PENNSYLVANIA on August 3-10 this year. We are looking for volunteers to act as Controllers for this event. The duties of a Controller are as follows:

CONTROLLERS
1. Controllers will be responsible for no more than two competitors at any one time.
2. Controllers will be responsible for accurately recording on the competitor's score card details of each eligible fish, including the length to the nearest millimeter and the time of capture. All unused portions of the scoring section of the card must be crossed out by the controller at the end of the session. If it is feasible to have self-copying paper, the original of the scoring card will be given to the sector judge, the duplicate will be given to the competitor.
3. Controllers will be responsible for warning competitors if any breach of the Competition Rules and their Modifications appears probable.
4. Controllers must record any infraction of the Competition Rules or their Modifications and report this information to the sector judge or to the International Organizer.
5. Controllers may have other duties assigned to them by the International Organizer or by the sector judge.
6. The host organization is responsible for recruiting controllers for members of the host country team from nationals of other countries.
7. The arrangements for ensuring that controllers are knowledgeable, competent and conversant with these Competition Rules, and any Modifications, are to be reviewed and approved by the FIPS-Mouche Board.

The days these volunteer Controllers will be needed are as follows:

Sunday 8/5/07 - 7pm Controller's Training Meeting (Ramada Hotel - State College)
Monday 8/6/07 Session 1 9am to 12 noon
Monday 8/6/07 Session 2 5pm to 8pm
Tuesday 8/7/07 Session 3 9am to 12 noon
Wednesday 8/8/07 Session 4 9am to 12 noon
Wednesday 8/8/07 Session 5 5pm to 8pm

If anyone is interested in volunteering for this event for any or all of the fishing sessions listed, please contact me A.S.A.P. at etmaurer@rcn.com , and I'll send you more information. Please help us provide these youth fly fisherman with a quality experience and extend the warm hospitality our state is well known for to these competitors that are coming to our waters from not only this country, but across the globe................Ed

For those interested, there will be two teams entered from this country: Team USA, and Team USA/PA! This is an opportunity of a lifetime for these young people, and it would be great if this forum had a strong presence at this competition. As some of the best fly fishermen in the area, the members of this forum are uniquely qualified to effectively carry out the duties of Controllers, while offering the opportunity to learn the latest skills and techniques in fly fishing from around the world from an "up close and personal" perspective. Here is a link to more information about this event:

http://www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com/

Can you come and watch the fishing are do you have to have a purpose to be there.

Hi SlumpBuster - Spectators are encouraged, but will be asked to keep a respectful distance so as not to interfere with the competitors, or communicate with them in any way - which is strictly against the rules.
As the Sector Judge for the Little Juniata River, I'd like to offer you the "nickel tour" if you come to visit this venue during the competition. The Sector HQ will be located at the Methodist Church across the bridge from Spruce Creek Outfitters. Just come to the HQ and identify yourself as a member of this forum, and I'll do my best to make your visit a worthwhile experience. This is a very "low impact" event - there will only be around a dozen competitors fishing each Sector on each session. Other than the start and end of each session when all the controllers and competitors are together at the HQ, it will probably look like just another day of guys fishing the river - they'll just be really good at it! I'd suggest bringing a pair of binoculars along, so you don't miss anything.Each competitor will be assigned a "beat" that is approximately 170 meters long, so they'll be pretty spread out. Hope to see some visitors from this forum down on the Little J !...........Ed :cool:

Cool. What day will they be on the Little J. I'll have to see how my schedule works out. I would definitely like to see some of these kids fish. It will help to show me how bad I really am.

The fishing days of the competition are Mon 8/6 to Wed 8/8, and the sessions are as I listed them in my prior post. This is going to be a tremendous opportunity to see some of the best fly fishermen from all over the world using the latest, and most advanced fishing methods on our waters. I'm really looking forward to learning all I can from this. :-D

Sounds like a great idea, hope to be able to see some of it!

Do you know the names of the kids from the USA team and where they're from?

Paul

Hi Paul - If you click on the link for the Youth Team I posted, and then click on the "members" tab, you'll find the answer to your question. As for the PA Team, we're still waiting to find out the results of the tryouts held last weekend. I had a friend that tried out for the team, and he's getting a little antsy waiting for a response. There was about a dozen kids that attended the tryouts, and some of them looked awesome! The Team USA guys that ran the tryouts really did a nice job and provided a terrific learning experience for the kids, and even the ones that don't make the team will be better fishermen for their experience. The coach of Team USA (John Wilson), drove in from Arkansas with his two sons (at his own expense!), and just worked tirelessly to help these kids. He's one of the most amazing individuals I've ever met. I've also met some of the current members of the youth team, and they are great kids - they really ARE your typical "All American" caliber young people. They fully deserve all the support we here in PA can provide.

When are they going to be on the streams, Spring and the Little J, I didn't see that in the available literature on the www?

I think this is all real great and all, but can you think of a worse time to fish Pa for trout than august? I just find it funny.

lj - The answer can be found here:

http://www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com/pdf/final_programmeusa.pdf

There are five sectors in the competition:

2 on Spring Creek
1 on Fishing Creek
1 on the Little Juniata River
1 on Lake Perez

The sessions I listed in my first post are the times for ALL the sectors, regardless of venue. Those are the times and dates to come out and watch the kids fish.

Tom - There were a lot of factors involved in picking the dates for this event other than "prime fishing" opportunities. They picked the best compromise available. They had to work around a lot of events, such as PSU football games, etc. Can you imagine trying to hold this event on Spring Creek in the heart of the sulphur hatch, around opening day of trout season, or during a PSU home game? We all know what things are like up there at those times..........Ed :-o

http://www.ncff.net/fishing_the_little_juniata_river.htm

I talked with a friend last night whose son is on the Pa team. The Pa team is doing ok. I believe they blanked a few sections, but did fairly well on some others. Honestly, after fishing with a couple of the kids on the team, I think they are doing great with such a short amount of time to really prepare for this. They are all having a blast from what I hear.

My friend said that the English did very well, putting some good numbers on the board.

Anyone else go or have updates?

Michael Foreman

I am a Judge /controller on the little j . I set up the stakes on the river , Considering the conditions and water temp they all are doing well . We tried to set them up in areas with a cool limestone spring to make the most of the fishing opp. On the littl e J the brits are doing well . But only time will tell . Heritage is doing a great job as overall sector judge !!!!
cheers to ED!!!!

I watched a little bit on Spring Creek the other evening, and watching someone else fish isn't as interesting as fishing yourself! Cast, drift. Cast, drift.

They are superb casters, that was obvious pretty quickly. The guys I watched were doing a lot of fishing, but not much catching. Until right near the 8 pm quit time. Then they started catching them.

I couldn't tell what people were using, even with binocs. Those of you involved, have you seen anyone using Sinking Green Inchworms? If not they are missing out. It's the best summer pattern on these streams.

FIPS-Mouche Youth World Fly Fishing Championship
Team Standings

(following three sessions)

Team Total Placings Fish Caught
1. France 58 110
2. Czech Republic 61 99
3. England 66 105
4. Slovakia 82 60
5. USA 1 83 82
6. Spain 91 51
7. USA 2 102 59
8. Portugal 106 40
9. Canada 109 31
10. Ireland 112 23
Individual leaders

(Top 10 plus U.S. competitors)

1. Scott Nellins, England

2. Vit Pavlacky, Czech Republic

3. Petr Drastic, Czech Republic

4. Virgile Arnold, France

5. Gabriel Antal, Slovakia

6. Frederic Letexier, France

7. Jonathan Letexier, France

8. Adam Picketts, USA 1

9. Alex Jardine, England

10. Karol Letko, Slovakia

17. Mike Himkens, USA 1

18. Andy Simon, USA 1

20. Matt Rose, USA 2

23. Heather Seitz, USA 2

31. Darren Schmoke, USA 2

32. Matt Kowalchuk, USA 2

33. Pat Brennan, USA 1

38. Weston Reynolds, USA 1

48. Kyle Winey, USA 2

I can't think of any tougher fishing for the anglers and the fish with these conditions, low clear and WARM water, hope the release their fish quickly. It is a darned shame the weather isn't better.

I spoke with one of the kids last night and he said that the fishing on Fishing Creek is the toughest overall so far. From what he said, the general/standard nymph patterns have been working well. Pheasant Tail, Zebra Midge, Green Weenies, etc. Hopefully today is going better for him.

Michael Foreman

To All,
The 2007 FIPS Mouche Junior World Championship is completed.
The Little J had a high temperature of 65 degrees and fished the best before the rain on Tuesday night. Spring and Fishing Creek did not fish well at all until Wednesday. The action on Spring picked up tremendously, while Fishing Creek remained tough. The Little J looked like chocolate milk on Wednesday, and this set the stage for the last two sessions of the competition.
The USA 1 team was in first place after the first session, but dropped to 5th at the end of session 3 on Tuesday. Wednesday saw one of the greatest charges in the history of the competition - by Team USA! Adam Pickett of Reedsville PA (USA 1) had a monster session in tough conditions, and caught more fish than the rest of the competitors on the Little J combined in session 4! His 14 fish total gave him a first place finish for the session and set the stage for Weston Reynolds (USA 1) to complete the comeback. Despite fishing in highly discolored water, Weston pulled off an amazing 16 fish effort that gave him first place on the Little J in session 5.
Unfortunately, these two spectacular efforts fell just a whisker short of getting the US Team a bronze medal, as they finished just ONE point out of third.
Kudos to all the competitors for some of the most amazing fishing I've ever witnessed, and a BIG thank you to my controllers and fellow judges on the Little J - these volunteers worked their butts off to make this a quality experience for the kids. Every team made it a point to tell me that our controllers were the best they had ever seen, at any level.
Special thanks to Ranger Keen - NO ONE knows that river better than you, and your knowledge helped make our sector the best in the competition.
Here's a few pics I took, with a link to a Photobucket album to follow, as soon as I download the whole bunch..........Ed

Team USA (brown jackets), Team USA/PA (white shirts)
2007_0809YFFWC0063.jpg

Official Final Standings
2007_0809YFFWC0044.jpg

Great that the Little J did her part for the kids, also great that a Central Pa kid was top gun for our team. I wasglad to see the young lady do so well.

Back