Young Woman's Creek

T

Troy

Hi All,
I'm going up to Cedar Run on June 4th and I usually fish Cedar and Slate Runs. I have found the last couple of years that the fishing hasn't been that great. I'm not saying the fish aren't there, but I have been struggling catching them. I think this year I'm going to try Young Womans' Creek. I read that they changed the regulations on it and now stock the section that used to be selective harvest. Anyway, how is the fishing there now? Did the change of regualtions affect it at all or is it still worth going? Are the wilds still in there or has it turned more into a stocked creek. There are plenty of other creeks to fish so I just want to know how some of you that have fished it lately feel about going there. Thanks!

Troy

I fished it a few weeks ago. There are plenty of wild fish up high...a mix in the middle stretch...and mostly stockers down low. Well worth fishing!

The regs are C & R so there ought to be plenty of fish, hat's the right branch middle section. As for hatches there may still be GD's and some other mayflies, maybe sulphurs, there'll be caddis in # 18 tan. Probably some BWO's.

Fished it a few weeks ago, what David said. I found Caddis to work best for surface action, a bunch of dubbing on a scud hook underneath (thanks Jay, my new favorite pattern).

I will definitley fish it. I'm sure it is a beautiful creek. Thanks for the replies.

Troy

Pray for rain! If it doesn't happen, it will be pretty skinny water.

I am also heading up that way (June 4, as well) for my post mid life crisis birthday trip. I started it about six years ago, and it's starting to stick.(now it's tradition, so my wife will have to deal with it.) I have been praying for rain (for us too), as some of those creeks, and Young Womans in particular, run down in a hurry during dry times. They are all below average again at this time. Last year I hit Little Pine, Little Kettle, Kettle, Young Womans, and Slate in a Fri-Sun trip. This year I will try some other options as well. (I hope) Come on Rain!

Back