Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Yellow Breeches Outfitters (Back In The Day)
From Chester County
Agreed. Tough times for fly shops. Many FFers choose to buy their rods and tackle and flies online, and shop for fly tying materials at craft stores. Purchasing a few flies and tippet spool or two isn't enough to keep most fly shops open.

Keep in mind, the prices of the major companies that sell rods and reels and waders and boots are the same whether you buy it online or at a shop. Next time you need a rod or tackle, try going to your local fly shop to see what they have....test cast a rod....strap on a pack....clamp on a reel....try on a pair of waders.

There are many decent fly shops still left in PA. Make an effort to support them. You may find that the local shop will give you a good price as well as good service, good advice and will stand behind the products they sell. Can't get all that from the click and ship virtual guys.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:22

From Fairfield, PA
I'm convinced I completely misjudged my visit to YBO. I take back what I said and will drop in this week and start all over. Besides, a trip to Allenberry without a visit to YBO, just would not seem right anyway (after lunch and a beer of course).

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:29

From Carlisle PA
I know Roland personally, he truly is a good man with good intentions.. However, the inventory at the shop is very limited. The shelves and walls are almost bare of needed terminal tackle. Very frustrating to go there for simple items like tippet, floatant and common hook sizes and find that he has none!

I wish him well, but I'll have to go the online route for supplies, or while at State College, shop at TCO.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 11:34

From Banshee
I've never had a issue with YBO or Roland and will continue to support them. However I did hear that some competition is moving into the area.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:04

From Dillsburg, pa.
I really liked Roland the couple times I have been in, much better than that crabby woman I used to deal with. I would recommend going there.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:37

From Boiling Springs, PA
I live in Boiling Springs, just got home from the Breeches at 9:00 PM (caught 3 right at dark). We all need to support the area's fly shops or they won't be around much longer. I don't know about you guys but buying fly gear at Bass Pro or Cabela's just isn't the same as a small shop. Roland's been helpful every time I go in there.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:26

From Dauphin
I have nothing but great experiences at YBO. I usually love looking at the consignment rods. Bought an older Scott G rod that was a steal.

On the other hand its hard to support the store when you walk in and they do not have what you need. I would like to see the shelves more stocked. I know Rolands trying his best so I will continue to shop there.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:59

I've been reading this forum for quite awhile, this topic prompted me to register and post.

When I first started fly fishing (seriously fly fishing) Dusty was working at Cold Spring Anglers. I was thinking back to those days about the time this thread was started. I remember talking to Dusty a good many times when he worked there. I recall telling him about the first couple trout I caught with the new setup purchased from them. I also recall the day I walked into the shop and asked about a new rod I'd spotted a couple days prior and Dusty told me "your Dad was in earlier today and bought that rod". I always planned to buy a similar rod to that one and just last week was able to find one.

As for YBO, I haven't been there in years. I don't get over that way much anymore. My flyshop of choice then was Cold Spring Anglers, and now is Flyfishers Paradise in State College.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:19
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From United States
Dusty is a good fisherman, freind and worthy of most of this praise. I have followed and patronized Dusty from the Burg to Herb's place. I had the pleasure of calling Dusty to inform him of this thread. As soon as Dusty can get his login secured I'm sure that he will post here. Dusty was always the humble good old boy fly fisherman. Rare qualities in a sport that can easily make one feel masterful after one good outing. I could always relate to Dusty. Dusty let's get after some steel again. Mitzi wants to go and says hi..
I hope that Dusty uses his own name as a login it would and should command some respect here. Be nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 21:57

Edited by Stenonema on 2013/8/7 22:22:51

From Enola, PA
Quote:

Decker10 wrote:
I live in Boiling Springs, just got home from the Breeches at 9:00 PM (caught 3 right at dark). We all need to support the area's fly shops or they won't be around much longer. I don't know about you guys but buying fly gear at Bass Pro or Cabela's just isn't the same as a small shop. Roland's been helpful every time I go in there.

I'll slightly disagree, I have felt more welcome in the Harrisburg Bass Pro fly shop that I ever was in YBO (past and present).

I wont make a blanket statement and say that all big box stores are like that but there are some good guys that work in the Harrisburg BPS.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 14:56

uhh...nevermind

From Fairfield, PA
Quote:
Dusty is a good fisherman, freind and worthy of most of this praise. I have followed and patronized Dusty from the Burg to Herb's place. I had the pleasure of calling Dusty to inform him of this thread. As soon as Dusty can get his login secured I'm sure that he will post here. Dusty was always the humble good old boy fly fisherman. Rare qualities in a sport that can easily make one feel masterful after one good outing. I could always relate to Dusty. Dusty let's get after some steel again. Mitzi wants to go and says hi.. I hope that Dusty uses his own name as a login it would and should command some respect here. Be nice.

Great, I look forward to him posting, as it has been a long time. I followed him over to Cold Spring Anglers and then sort of got away from fishing for a few years. I hate to think of all the stuff he sold me.

Quote:

Went in YBO today to give it another try and I needed a new pair of forceps. I found a nice pair, that were just what I wanted and I bought them, but it was the last pair there. I looked around for awhile, but the selection is sparse. I will continue to stop in when I am there, but it was actually hard to spend money, which is not a problem I normally have.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/8 17:01

if there were a real fly fishing store in center city philadelphia I'd buy there. when orvis was on walnut street they had plenty of tweed jackets with leather elbows but ask for 22 hooks in July and you got a blank stare. you guys with a local shop are lucky.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 22:07

I worked with Dusty at the TCO shop that moved into Cold Spring Anglers a few years back. I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute working with him.
That shop was stocked to the gills - we had the entire Wapsi catalog. Unfortunately, rent was sky high, and we were hitting the recession.

I had hoped to fish with Dusty at some point. Anyone know if he's on here? Thanks.
Matt

Posted on: 2013/8/10 2:25

From South Central PA
Matt, I remember you, also, from TCO's short stay in Carlisle.

Roland, I am sure, is doing his best in a tough business. I am sure he is not carrying the inventory he would like, but I still support him whenever I can.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 19:27

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com