Yellow Breeches Outfitters (Back In The Day)

jbewley

jbewley

I remember the days, as many here do I'm sure, when Emily and Bill owned the shop and Dusty manned the front desk. I spent a lot of time and money there in those days. After Bill left, Dusty went to work at Cold Spring Anglers, which has now closed. Does anyone know where Dusty is now?

Jim

Dusty stills lives in central pa and still does some guiding. He has had some health issues but all in all is doing very well for a man over seventy years old. Still fishes and hunts. He is a sage for all of us younger trout bums in the area. I will tell him he is remembered fondly from his yellow breeches days.

para

Please do. He and I had some great talks and he advised me well on how to fish the Breeches. Tell him I was the guy that ordered the rug from Orvis for my wife, through YB Outfitters and had horses. He should remember. I would love to talk to him again.

Jim

i too remember dusty very well,he taught me alot about fly fishing & tying still learning,i hpe i run into dusty again sometime,i still have the first scott rod i bought from bill & emily ,which i got the first week they were open,i spent a lot of time & money at that shop,i wont cmment on the pesent owner

Does Dusty live in Centre County? When I think of central, PA I think of State College, Center Hall, Lock Haven areas. Not 1 or 2 hours south of there.

Rubby: We may have crossed paths in there at some point. I went in the new shop the other day, for the first time in many years. Let's just say, I doubt I'll go back.

Jim

i agree with you in not going back

If you'd like further info on Dusty's whereabouts - please PM me.

Regarding Yellow Breeches fly shop.......I've been a fan and customer for 30 years, and still am. The shop (as we have discussed here before) is under new ownership. The gear selection may not be all that we'd like, but please be patient as the new owner gets his legs settled. Taking over a small business takes time.

I'll continue to go there.

(In the interests of full disclosure, it should be noted that I have a small business interest with this shop but my experience as a satisfied customer predates this interest)

While YBO is not yet stocked to levels we've been accustomed to, I agree with Dave that we all need to be patient and continue to support Roland as he rebuilds the brand. I've been shopping at YBO since 1973 and have no plans to shop elsewhere.

I did ask a number of questions and was told that certain brands, I like, were no longer being carried and would not be. Perhaps the new owner was having an off day, which can happen, as I honestly got the feeling he did not care if I was in there or not. Sometimes "first impressions" are not correct, so point taken and I won't give up on YBO just yet.

Jim

Roland, the current owner of YBO is a very likeable guy and will help you in any way he can. As others have mention, taking over a business that was on the down is not an easy task to turn around. I think he is doing his best to get this shop back on track. We all need to be a customer if we are in the area or it won't be there when we need it.

As a new fly fisherman a year or so ago, he did nothing to make me feel welcome and I left feeling intimidated. Another example of someone perpetuating the elitist, good ol boys club of fly-fishing. I'll use the shop if I need it but frankly I get better customer service from Internet retailers.

Dusty was a very good friend, and one heck of a flyfisherman. I meet Dusty when he worked at there Tackle shop in Harrisburg,if I remember he sold me my first flyrod.

I first started going to YBO, when Tom,(Blats?) Good time for the YBO were when Bill and Emily owned it, and when Dusty was there. I've only been there once since Roland has had it, he was very nice at that time.

Someone said that they still get to see dusty, please tell him Paul said hello, I'm sure hill remember me.

PaulG

I met Dusty on Clarks creek , if it's the same guy , this fellow worked for the State , Dept. of Ag i think he said. Is that the same person Paul? How r u doin anyhow?

yep, I also have fond memories of Dusty....my DeLorme Atlas is still highlighted by streams he turned me onto. Those were good days, but unfortunately times do change and the fly shop business ain't what it used to be. Roland is a great guy and living his dream and I'm honestly surprised by the negative vibe a couple of you are throwing his way. The shop has come a pretty long way since he took over, what he's trying to do there ain't easy in the current environment and I wish him nothing but the best.

Agreed. Tough times for fly shops. Many FFers choose to buy their rods and tackle and flies online, and shop for fly tying materials at craft stores. Purchasing a few flies and tippet spool or two isn't enough to keep most fly shops open.

Keep in mind, the prices of the major companies that sell rods and reels and waders and boots are the same whether you buy it online or at a shop. Next time you need a rod or tackle, try going to your local fly shop to see what they have....test cast a rod....strap on a pack....clamp on a reel....try on a pair of waders.

There are many decent fly shops still left in PA. Make an effort to support them. You may find that the local shop will give you a good price as well as good service, good advice and will stand behind the products they sell. Can't get all that from the click and ship virtual guys.

I'm convinced I completely misjudged my visit to YBO. I take back what I said and will drop in this week and start all over. Besides, a trip to Allenberry without a visit to YBO, just would not seem right anyway (after lunch and a beer of course). :)

Jim

I know Roland personally, he truly is a good man with good intentions.. However, the inventory at the shop is very limited. The shelves and walls are almost bare of needed terminal tackle. Very frustrating to go there for simple items like tippet, floatant and common hook sizes and find that he has none!

I wish him well, but I'll have to go the online route for supplies, or while at State College, shop at TCO.

I've never had a issue with YBO or Roland and will continue to support them. However I did hear that some competition is moving into the area.

I really liked Roland the couple times I have been in, much better than that crabby woman I used to deal with. I would recommend going there.

Back