Yellow Breaches

P

ptflyfisher

I'm heading to the Gettysburg area in a few weeks and plan on doing some fishing on the yellow breaches while I'm there, any suggestions on what flies I should take and where to go.

pt,
The best section of Yellow Breeches is the special reg, catch and release area - it's about 40 min north of G-burg at the town of Boiling Springs. There's an excellent fly shop there that can help you out with specifics. For flies I'd have the usual array of terrestrials, mostly small. The trout in this section, although stockies, are heavily pressured and rather hard to hook on surface flies. If the terrestrials don't work, a wet ant dropper with a small nymph works well and will have a better hookup rate. The water is low and clear these days but streamers can always be counted on for some action too. Try white and olive Wooly Buggers. There is a low head dam in the lower special reg section and the still water above it usually has some midging fish too. Good luck.

Fishidiot, covered very well. I have had some luck this time of year, with royal wulff, Adams parachute.

Don't forget to try some ants and beetles

PaulG

If you want to catch a fish, use an olive caddis puppa size 16. Fish it on the bottom and you'll be in the game. Good luck. Fishing is good above or below the dam in the regs section.

Also try small tan CDC caddis with a zebra midge dropper fished there twice this week and caught numerous fish on that setup. Also the Cand R section was just stocked with some bigger fish. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Back