Would you still fish?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I'm curious how many folks would continue to buy a fishing license if the cost (hypothetically) went to $50? Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it, considering the many great days I get to spend on some beautiful streams, catching some beautiful fish. I'd consider it money well spent.

My addiction to fishing is like the addiction I used to have to cigarettes. I will keep paying for it... hopefully the cost does not increase much over the years.

The fishing license here in PA is cheap.... Check out greens fees on an average golf course and hit the links every other weekend and see what your bottom line on that is for a year.... The cost to fish here in PA is no prob, Now.... let me add up the cost of fishing and golf and ammo and the bar and the amateur radio hobby..... Oh, I guess I still have to eat.....

I wouldnt think twice about it. It could go to 100 and for me it would still be well worth it.

jabink84 wrote:
I wouldnt think twice about it. It could go to 100 and for me it would still be well worth it.

+1. To take it one step further, I'd actually pay quite a bit more if they sold a license class which allowed that license holder to fish C&R waters off limits to regular license holders. Not saying it would or should ever happen, just dreaming.

BTW, great forum topic post. These types of questions I like to see the dialogue go on.

I get annual licenses in 3 states...hasn't stopped me yet. I guess I should really say, "My wife hasn't stopped me yet." ;-)

you all have jobs dont cha ! try it on a fixed income like some of us have (osprey is one) goes to 50 and a lot of us will have to decide to eat or fish...guess I'll have to start eating them again if it hits 50...daily limit here we come !!

Without a doubt, I'm in. I will probably buy it just shortly after New Years. I never caught a trout in January or February on a flyrod yet, but it is on my "things to do" list. I will be waiting for those unseasonably warm days. Maybe 2013 will be the year!

My non-resident license is already over $50. I would pay more. Maybe a lot more, if I found that the habitats and fisheries were improving.

I spend that much in gas to and from many streams. Of course I'd pay it.

FiveWeight wrote:
The fishing license here in PA is cheap.... Check out greens fees on an average golf course and hit the links every other weekend and see what your bottom line on that is for a year.... The cost to fish here in PA is no prob, Now.... let me add up the cost of fishing and golf and ammo and the bar and the amateur radio hobby..... Oh, I guess I still have to eat.....
I am in for 50!!
deN3EOG

Yes I would pay $50. And even more. I would think most of the folks on this forum would pay whatever increase is required. I understand that some folks have fixed incomes and have to live on a budget. I would say that in some case you may have to make decisions on what extras you can continue to pay for... Say for example you come to the conclusion you have to cut out something... This forum and internet access or my fishing license?? It would be goodbuy fellows. I am buying my fishing license and going fishing more often!

Bill A

sandfly wrote:
you all have jobs dont cha ! try it on a fixed income like some of us have (osprey is one) goes to 50 and a lot of us will have to decide to eat or fish...guess I'll have to start eating them again if it hits 50...daily limit here we come !!

Bob,
You could sell a couple of the books you have! Then don't forget the lifetime license coming soon to you.

I was looking at the PFBC website last week and there is a historical chart of fishing license fees including trout stamps, Erie stamps etc. Also included is the number of licenses sold and the percentage gain or loss from the previous year. Just eyeballing the data, it sure looks like any time there is an increase, the number of license buyers drops, sometimes by quite a bit.

As an out-of-state resident I pay well over $50 for my yearly license. Well worth it when you consider all the miles of waterways and acres of ponds and lakes available to be fished.

Here lies a benefit of the first day fisherman we all know, and most hate.
With their licenses being the ones the PFBC targets, this in fact helps to keep licenses at a lower price. Sure, we'd all pay more. We love the sport. They dont. If the price gets to high, they simply dont go.

so does the purported drop in license sales due to an increased cost show an increase in poaching or just less fishermen?

That's the question.

What is the current combined annual license? I thought it was $39ish. If that is the case, what is another $11? Not much to me, like the other guy said, I spend more on gas in one trip sometimes. If the license went over $100 that would be a shame, because I gurantee my girlfriend would stop fishing(she only goes a handful of times a summer), and I can see that putting a serious dent in the participation rate of people under 18. I am 24, and $100 is a pretty penny to me, but at 17, $100 was a fortune that would last me months of dates and hanging out. If it hit $150+ then I would probably moan and groan about me being a diehard CR guy and how I should pay less : ) Then, I would most likely spend the necessary 2 and a half minutes to make a perfect forgery of the online license and donate $50 to my local TU.

PatrickC wrote:
I get annual licenses in 3 states...hasn't stopped me yet. I guess I should really say, "My wife hasn't stopped me yet." ;-)

So do I - well, didn't get Virginia this year since I never made the trip to Shenandoah National Park. I pay $64 for a non-resident PA license and trout stamp. I have been doing it for 20+ years, since my brother moved to State College.

Do you think that if the cost was to increase to $50, it would chase away some of the opening day'ers or the guys that fish with their kids the first couple of days after stockings?

Back