Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?

jayL

jayL

Yes or No.

Would you personally pay for a single day's access on any unstocked pennsylvania trout stream?

*edit to change to "unstocked".

Dam Tom your up to 10,000 posts

Absolutely not! I would be wasting my money. There are so many good trout streams and good trout populations in Pa. that are practically unfished I can't see why anglers would pay for that which is all around them.

Thanks Fred..I didn't notice. Sorry Jay..you were getting kind of close. needless to say, last year was a little slow...

Do you mean in addition to the $38.40/year I pay to the PFBC? :)

Yes. Would you pay a private landowner for a day's access?

In almost 30 years of fly fishing, I've never paid to access any stream anywhere. And I don't plan on starting now.

I would pay a small fee to fish a private stretch of water, if that water was more compelling for me to fish, than say stretches of water I know in my own home county or in NC or NW PA. The key is small fee, meaning less than a few dollars per hour.

For those that state they absolutely would not pay, do you pay for meals when you go out to eat? Do you pay to go to museums or sporting events? Why do you agree to pay for those items and not to fish? In other words, whats the difference between the privatization of fishing, versus the privatization of the restaurant or entertainment business? Is it the notion that somehow "wild" trout should be free?

Awhile ago, I was an idealistic open-source software advocate. I've since moderated my views and use a combination of open-source and proprietary software to provide solutions in the business I work in. I would have, at one time, advocated free software (free as in speech AND beer), but have moderated to be willing to pay for software that actually works and is supported, since no matter how good the ideal of open-source is, some of the products out there are just crap (as are some of the proprietary ones).

So is the notion of free fishing an idea we strive to uphold, or is it the non-free fishing that causes the recoil reaction (in other words is it the cost or the eliteness of a pay fishing operation we dislike)? Is it because we begrudge someone making a buck (or someone who has a buck being able to spend it where we can't)?

By the way, I have never paid to fish anywhere (other than state license fees). If a landowner I know who owns a stream that is essentially a sleeper trophy trout stream wanted a few bucks to fish, I'd be glad to pay them. If it was a club stream, I would not pay to fish on it, as there are viable alternatives, and most likely, I could not afford the fees anyway. The two streams I know that are on 100% private property in the NW part of the state harbor trophy brown populations. The reason I would pay to fish them is because I know they hold trophy browns and while I am 110% certain there are other streams like them that I could discover, if I had limited time (which I do), I'd want to fish a known quantity and that would be worth a little money to me (but, only a few bucks an hour). My favorite drainage in NC PA is on 100% open public land (although the energy giants are gathering like thieves on the fringes of the watershed). My favorite stream to fish in Lancaster is on 100% open public land.

Salmonoid - You're comparing apples and oranges IMO.
If you want to eat out, go to a museum, or a sporting event - you have to pay. They're a business.
There are still plenty of great fishing spots that are free. Fishing is only a business if you choose to make it so

I would only pay to fish, if it was a State wide stamp that would allow access to a lot of miles of streams, and cost @$5-12 more on my license fees I already pay for now.

salmonid,

Restaurants and bars were made by businessmen. The great outdoors wasn't. Has nothing to do with wild fish. I get a little frustrated with posted land, but most of the time I understand and sympathize with the landowner. But if they're doing it for money, that gets to me. They didn't make the stream.

If a private landowner has some expenses, say for a parking area to keep people out of his driveway, or to fix the ruts left by fishermen, and asked for a voluntary donation, I would. But I'd never pay someone who's in it for profit.

I voted YES only because i have bought a Lititz Run Badge for 20 dollars. I also have taken part in the Pine CreeK Trny for a small fee, in years past. So Yes i have paid.

But you didnt say how much and for how long. Lititz Run badge is for 1 year and cheap. The Pine Creek Trny is for one day and is also not on Private Property.

Generally.......No i would not

Not me! I am a member of the Spring Mills fish & game club, which has land along Penns creek, you have to be a member to fish there. I have never fish there, probably never will.

PaulG

I voted YES and I would and I have (but not in PA). I paid to fish on the Douglastown Run in Pulaski. It's all relative. I don't fish waters for pay, but I would and did under the right circumstances. On the other hand, I would never join a club that I knew purchased and leased a lot of land for the sole benefit of its members. I would feel guilty encouraging the privatization of fishing lands in that way. A one time fee is bowing to the devil, whereas a membership or pledge of future support is conspiring with the devil.

I'd pay during spring hatches just to get away from the crowds. Imagine fishing the drakes with less of the carnaval like atmosphere.

I voted yes, but it's more like a maybe. only if the fee was nominal and the money went into conserving the property. I would never pay the big money to join a club like beavers. if I ever came across a group that owned property containing a small brookie stream, had a nice little lodge to stay at, and didn't cost a fortune, I'd be tempted. mainly just to have access to the lodge. I don't have the means to purchase a camp in the mountains. I like to camp, but state parks get crowded during prime weekends. so if there was a club that served my needs, yep, I might consider joining. actually been thinking about getting a camper and parking it at a year round campground.
I'm not into paying money just to catch big fish.

jayL wrote:
Yes or No.

Would you personally pay for a single day's access on any unstocked pennsylvania trout stream?

*edit to change to "unstocked".

As written, I'd have to say no. But i didn't answer the survey as is. Too general.

I can think of a few examples where I might agree.

Depends on who I would be paying and what the money would be used for.

As others said, restaurants, museums, sporting events are all businesses. Would you pay to hike or bike or kayak in the outdoors. Everything in this country has become commercialized. The only thing remaining is the great outdoors, and it's fading fast. Look at fishing in Europe, especially the UK, if you want to see the privatization of rivers and streams which are reserved for the elite class. This country was created 234 years ago to get away from that system.

Sheesh..........the next thing you know they'll be installing turnstiles on the Appalachian trail.

Back