Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 »

Re: Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?

From Greensburg, PA
My car doesn't have a printer. Many times I just pull off the road and fish when I see nice water. More proof that you have not thought this out.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I am most certainly vehemently opposed to such a model on any large scale, but I could probably come around to supporting it on a limited basis if it were done correctly. You'd want to pick only places where there is no other option but to lose the water to private interests, i.e. its a last ditch effort. In those cases, I'd rather the PFBC or another public entity act as the private interest rather than an exclusive club. It could even be a money maker for them, perhaps helping to pay for more land or access easements in other areas.

But its a slippery slope, for sure. Like I said, limited basis. You don't want the PFBC's main purpose to become a for-profit private club. It would become prohibitively expensive for anglers if all waters were like that.

1. Very often, purchase or simple easement is the cheaper option, and perhaps more attractive for both landowner and angler. I say that because offering permits for certain waters would create a park-like atmosphere that many landowners would wish to avoid. This would only fly on waters that are already a park-like atmosphere. And getting a permit everyday is more expensive and more of a hassle for the angler, but better than losing the water entirely.

2. On heavily fished waters, enough anglers would share in the cost that the cost per angler might be reasonable. But what about a waterway that might see 1 angler a month? Would it be prohibitively expensive for the angler? Or since the demand is lower, would free market principles apply so that the landowner gets very little? If so, is it even worth it for the PFBC and landowner to do all the paperwork and set up the permit system that would surely be involved? We have so many streams that they can't even survey them all in reasonable time frames. What makes you think we can set up a permit system for them all?

3. As Jack said, a number of landowners choose not to post out of the goodness of their hearts, or for the fact that they feel the water and fish are public resources. Some of them actually enjoy going out and talking with anglers. I agree the % of landowners that are like this is shrinking. But as we stand today, it's still a very large group, and paying every single one of is not only prohibitively expensive, it's also just stupid.

4. I would predict massive enforcement issues. On a small scale its doable. On a large scale, its not. Who is responsible for enforcement and making sure everyone has a permit. The PFBC or the landowner? If its the landowner, they're just not gonna do it and it will be de facto like it already is. If its the PFBC, you'll have to have a massive increase in WCO's.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:28

I am positive there would be an annual pass, but it would be better to go to the landowner for that

I would think he would like to at least meet you

THERE IN NO EXCLUSIVE CLUB just you and the landowner

you are fishing because of the generosity of the older landowner

NO REBUTTAL

THERE AIN"T NONE

Remember I was there, I was 12 16 before I even saw a freaking No Trespass sign

the landowner would limit the number of permits, it would be in his best interest

If the landowner sees violations, he reports them

permit denied

legal action taken

anything else

now a little positive input wouldn't hurt

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:31

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Quote:
I am positive there would be an annual pass.

Ok, but I go back to the guy who fishes 40 different streams 1 time each. To have an annual pass for a given waterway, you are definitely encouraging people to roam less and fish the same water over and over. Not only do many fishermen not find this enjoyable, but everyone is going to pick the very best streams to get permits on. You will have a massive increase in pressure on Spring, Penns, the LJR, etc., and a decrease in pressure on all of the lesser waters. This would contribute greatly to something that is already a problem.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:36

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
I am positive there would be an annual pass.

Ok, but I go back to the guy who fishes 40 different streams 1 time each. To have an annual pass for a given waterway, you are definitely encouraging people to roam less and fish the same water over and over. Not only do many fishermen not find this enjoyable, but everyone is going to pick the very best streams to get permits on. You will have a massive increase in pressure on Spring, Penns, the LJR, etc., and a decrease in pressure on all of the lesser waters. This would contribute greatly to something that is already a problem.

Good point, and further, you would get the "I paid for my license" mentality with regard to fishing there to get your monies worth AND keeping fish.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:43

the permits are limited

like doe season

anyone who thinks that a day on Spring Creek or The Little Juniata is not worth 5 bucks

should not be issued a trout stamp

the "I paid for my license jasacks" would be there one time only

anything else

if you fish forty different streams the price is the same

day pass

provided that the stream price is the same

quality streams would demand quality prices

stone creek would be cheaper than the Little J

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:45

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From West Chester, PA
You guys have been snowed in too long!...:) I know it has been a long winter but let's just try to get through to spring without too many more "would you" posts...:)

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:49

we gotta meet "The Barbarians At The Gate"

SRC

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:52

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Quote:
anyone who thinks that a day on Spring Creek or The Little Juniata is not worth 5 bucks

I don't disagree. But who decides how much each waterway is worth? And we're discussing HOW that payment be made, not just IF it is made. Many on here, even the "free lunch crowd", do indeed support a license increase where the money goes towards access, whether its buying land, or buying easements from landowners.

Quote:
the permits are limited

So your only allowed to fish it so many days? What about someone who lives 2 minutes from the stream. Are you forcing them to fish less or travel more, or both? Do you not think this will hurt the popularity of angling? Does discouraging angling fit with the mission of the PFBC?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:54

would be fun to do this before a jury

can we set that up

the forum is horribly biased

by the forum lords (TWO)

who are running the show

so the forum cheapskates don't count

anything else?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:55

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Quote:
so the forum cheapskates don't count

You think the angling public in general is more supportive of paying more to fish than this board? lol.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:58

the landowner determines the price , that is silly to even ask

he is the guy with the ball

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:59

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

OK lets put the following on a ballot

Do you believe the landowner has a right to profit from access to his property?

the no's would be .00000000000000000000000000000001

I prefer

ROFLMAO

That's probably about the same percentage as the number of fly fisherman posting on this forum as a percent of all fly fisherman

Posted on: 2010/2/25 10:04

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Quote:
the landowner determines the price , that is silly to even ask

Ok, are they allowed to change their prices, like bump it up for a holiday weekend, etc? Or must they agree to a fixed price?

If they change prices, who is responsible for keeping track of it all in order to properly run this online permit system? I'm assuming since its a centralized website offering these permits, the money goes to a centralized account and then is divied up accordingly. The keeper of this account must then, maintain up to date price information on several thousand streams.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 10:07

Quote:
Do you believe the landowner has a right to profit from access to his property?

Of course they do. And there is nothing preventing them from doing so today. Thankfully, as it is, most of them CHOOSE not to. You are advocating encouraging them to profit.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 10:08

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com