Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 19 »

Re: Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?
From Monessen, PA
I voted YES and I would and I have (but not in PA). I paid to fish on the Douglastown Run in Pulaski. It's all relative. I don't fish waters for pay, but I would and did under the right circumstances. On the other hand, I would never join a club that I knew purchased and leased a lot of land for the sole benefit of its members. I would feel guilty encouraging the privatization of fishing lands in that way. A one time fee is bowing to the devil, whereas a membership or pledge of future support is conspiring with the devil.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 6:12

I'd pay during spring hatches just to get away from the crowds. Imagine fishing the drakes with less of the carnaval like atmosphere.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 6:24

From harlansburg
I voted yes, but it's more like a maybe. only if the fee was nominal and the money went into conserving the property. I would never pay the big money to join a club like beavers. if I ever came across a group that owned property containing a small brookie stream, had a nice little lodge to stay at, and didn't cost a fortune, I'd be tempted. mainly just to have access to the lodge. I don't have the means to purchase a camp in the mountains. I like to camp, but state parks get crowded during prime weekends. so if there was a club that served my needs, yep, I might consider joining. actually been thinking about getting a camper and parking it at a year round campground.
I'm not into paying money just to catch big fish.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 7:15

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Yes or No.

Would you personally pay for a single day's access on any unstocked pennsylvania trout stream?

*edit to change to "unstocked".

As written, I'd have to say no. But i didn't answer the survey as is. Too general.

I can think of a few examples where I might agree.

Depends on who I would be paying and what the money would be used for.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 7:47

From Chester County
As others said, restaurants, museums, sporting events are all businesses. Would you pay to hike or bike or kayak in the outdoors. Everything in this country has become commercialized. The only thing remaining is the great outdoors, and it's fading fast. Look at fishing in Europe, especially the UK, if you want to see the privatization of rivers and streams which are reserved for the elite class. This country was created 234 years ago to get away from that system.

Sheesh..........the next thing you know they'll be installing turnstiles on the Appalachian trail.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:22

From Lewistown
No way. If there's one good stream that needs money, there's another close by that's free.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:29

I was going to say "NO WAY", but then I thought about Ressica Falls. I've paid to fish there....once. It's certainly no DB enterprise but how to you all feel about the Boy Scouts charging? IMO it's a worthy cause but pretty expensive. I think it's something like $20.

Ressica aside, I say no. I like catching many other species. Most of the pay to fish outfits center on trout, right? Maybe I’m wrong about that.

Trout is #1 with me but I would be happy fishing for anything with fins & gills.

To me the question may be stated "What is catching a (big) trout worth to you?" I know what the wild brookie guys will say, but it seems to me our values are a little out of whack when folks will bay a kings ransom to fish to stocked, pellet fed mutants. DB could save a lot of money and not pollute streams if he would simply charge members to have their photos taken with large, mounted fish. Or, if that is not satisfying enough he could stock small ponds with the trout and let his "sports" catch them there (like at a kids' fishing derby) & Photoshop the stream in later.

Rant over.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:31

From Gunpowder River, MD
Rather than pay some porch monkey to fish his stream I'd rather donate money to a stream in need..If Spring creek had in place an iron donation box I would slip money in there..

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:36

From harlansburg
"Sheesh..........the next thing you know they'll be installing turnstiles on the Appalachian trail."

in NH you have to buy a permit just to park at national forest service lots and pulloffs. it's already starting.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:37

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I thought of another scenario I would pay, and actually have. I used to belong to a sportsmans club for the main purpose of using their range, it's like $15 per year for a membership. This club didn't own much land, just the range, house, and they happened to have a private pond. This isn't a natural pond, it was built with their own money. It's a decent bass, crappy, and catfish pond and they stock trout in it too. Since I already had the membership, I've fished there once or twice.

But there exists a sharp line in my mind between a fishery that was created by the landowner and one that was pre-existing, or a landowner trying to cover expenses of hosting the public vs. landowners trying to make money by excluding the public.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:44

From Gunpowder River, MD
Revenue deprived budgets...It'll only get worse from here..My number one concern? When states begin to parcel off parks and game lands to privateers and devolpers...McMansions and trout fishing theme parks wil dot the land..

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:48

From Mont Co, Pa
NO!

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:50

I read the original post

threw it it the dumbest post of the year box

and was out all night painting flooors

Posted on: 2010/2/23 8:58

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Dallastown, PA
The question is "would you pay to fish unstocked wild trout streams". Reisica falls and lititz Run in the conservancy don't count.

My answer....I paid John Hamer to fish Spruce Creek 15 years ago, well I gave him five bucks cuz he was whining about how much it costs to feed the trout and how all the guys who come to fish and are granted permission never pay. I don't care if he used it to buy pringles, if it meant he stopped yelling at me, it was worth the money.

I guess most of those trout were probably stocked too.

I am in favor of fishing by permission only if the landowner has reservations about leaving the property open without restriction.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:00

From Greensburg, PA
So you have been responding to the subject dumbest post of the year for three days. What does that tell you?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com