Wintertime bargain shopping...?

T

TroutBuster

Anyone else spend a ton of time during the winter searching the internet for crazy deals on fly gear?? I probably spend an hour a day browsing sites like Ebay.. I may bid on a dozen items a day for maybe 10% of what they're worth and every once in a while I get lucky. Last spring I won a brand new Reddington Stratus II wading jacket for $16. Can't beat a deal like that!

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/discontinued-products.html

Don't try to sell anything on this site that you might have bought or you'll get into all kinds of problems...:)

Those A-5's would make a nice steelhead rod... pretty good price too!

Troutbuster,

you must be why I can't never get anything cheap on ebay!

Fredrick wrote:
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/discontinued-products.html

If you're in the market for a 12 weight... that's the place to get it. The others are sold out. :-(

HOLY CRAP. A $350 rod marked down to $80???????

That is just crazy.

i got the A-5 4wt , 7'6 , they are awesome rods for the money , i will probably get another one this summer just not sure which one yet

I've had my eye set on the 7'6" 3wt in a 5 piece in the A5 lineup. Overlined with 4wt line that would be a great brookie rod!

PennKev wrote:
HOLY CRAP. A $350 rod marked down to $80???????

That is just crazy.

They have it listed as MSRP... manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price... they've never listed any of their rods that high... they're just showing what it would cost if they put a middleman in their company. The rods are great deals now though. It seems they mark them down for a few months every year. I just know when I get my money together they'll go back up................

I bought mine in September and the prices haven't changed yet.

Boyer

ryguy ,

albright has the gpx series which is basically the same rod but the graphit might be like IM 6 instead of IM 7 , both have wood reel seats , aluminum uplocking hardware etc, they are 44.95 , thats a freaking steal , boyer can chime in , these rods are not what u would expect for the money , i would get the 4wt and overline with 5wt dt , thats what i did and wow what a dream brookie rod especially for windy days and streamers the 4wt helps and it still bends enough to feel the little guys wiggle !!!

oops sorry about the mis info , the albright gp rods are 49.99 , the 3/4 wt weighs 3oz. which is .03 oz heavier than my a-5 so a 3.5-4.0 oz reel should balance it nicely like the orvis battenkill for 80.00

the GP is in fact $44.99 on albright.

The A-5 is a 5 piece, which I like the idea of being able to pack it easier for some hikes in to small brookie streams. It also weights 2.2oz... so for you seasoned vets out there... what actual weight of a reel would balance that very light rod out? The topwater from albright is their lightest at 3.5oz... is that still too heavy?

Just got a buttload of hooks for like 20% of their retail value....

TroutBuster wrote:
Just got a buttload of hooks for like 20% of their retail value....

That must have hurt..I hope they were barbless...

I've been doing the ebay thing and picked up a 9wt (I was "requested" by my wife to loan mine to my brother-in-law who's kids promptly broke it) and 2 bamboo rods. Have my eye on a few other things, too.

Wow, good prices.

I may be in the market for a small stream rod as well, and this may do the trick. I currently have an 8'6" 5wt. Would I be better off with the 7'6 4wt or 3wt? I see ryguyfi mentioning overlining it (which I would consider). In that case am I better off covering my ranges with a 3-4 or a 4-5 (assuming overlining)?

Always trolling for good deals. I can't say that I've gotten any steals but I did pickup an Albright A-5 9 WT for the price (Andros trip in April could have some wind so I needed a 9). I also snagged a Patagonia wading jacket for half price and a Sci Angler tropics line for half price (also for the Andros trip but for the 8 WT) from MRFC.

Oh and BTW - On the Albright stock question. Give them a call to inquire about a specific rod or reel if it doesn't appear to be in stock. I called and spoke to the owner (the 9 wasn't in stock on the site) and he said he had a few and we did the transaction over the phone. The next day, it was at the house. The one complaint is they next day everything (no other shipping options) so you'll get hit for 20 bux or so for that unless you spend $150 or more.

-Chunk

Back