Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Winter fly selections

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

Stenonema wrote: I prefer the Golden Stone. I tie it with rubber legs that can trigger strikes in flatter water and when stripped as you would a streamer. I saw someone mention A. Jasper earlier. I believe he has a pattern called a Drone Stone. Don't be afraid to strip it after a long drift. The longer the drift and the slower the drift the better. If you are fishing over stocked trout throw whatever they don't make sense.

Yea just to give credit where credit is due....the Dronestone is a Loren Williams Pattern actually called the LW Frontliner who aknowlwdges it is a spin off of Chauncey Lively's Woven Body Perla Stonefly. Here is a link that actually shows how to tie it. It is a very effective pattern in pockwt water. LW Frontliner

Thanks Becker this just made allot things that I was curious about a few years ago make sense .

Posted on: 12/12 23:36

From Lancaster Co.
Can't believe this thread is on page 2 and still no mention of JUNK FLIES - glo-bug, green weenie, san juan worm, etc.

Posted on: 12/13 8:59

I never had much luck with the san juan worm in any season. But the glo-bug & green weenie are definitely in my fly box regardless of season, but they can be dynamite in Winter.

I usually fish a larger pattern though, maybe a 16 or 14 green weenie with a dropper to a small hare's ear or prince nymph in like a 20 or 18. This pattern usually works for me all Winter long. Switch the green weenie out for the glo-bug, keep the same dropper.

On warmer sunny days, I like to swing streamers. Deep, weighted streamers.

Posted on: 12/13 11:52

From United States
Has anyone had any luck fishing glo-bugs over wild browns. I haven't tried it many times and sort of gave up on it.

Posted on: 12/13 23:30
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

Quote:

Stenonema wrote:
Has anyone had any luck fishing glo-bugs over wild browns. I haven't tried it many times and sort of gave up on it.

Yes. Use a glo-bug that looks like an actual egg. The size should be about the size of a pea.

And the color is a pale orange, not that bright flourescent orange.

Posted on: 12/14 14:53

Check out Charlie Craven's jujubee midge. It's so clever, I love it.

Posted on: 12/14 15:20

I like winter fishing on limestones. As far as patterns go, mostly #20 black zebra midge,#20 AL's Rat, #18 egg and #18,20 small olive scuds.if you fish skinny water and are afraid of spooking the fish then use a dry dropper set-up using a high floating dry(Q-Tip) pattern that lands softly on the water.

Posted on: 12/14 21:21

Winter fishing is def worth the effort. Skunkings will happen in any season but at least you have majority of water all to your self. I usually use an egg fly with an Al's Rat trailing 12-14" behind. If your really feeling fancy you can switch the egg for a caddis nymph of your preferred color and style. I find no need to get fancy in winter. My eggs are on a size 12 or 14 egg hook makes easier threading the line when my fingers are numb.

Posted on: 12/14 21:46

From Long Island
My go to flies in the winter are micro eggs. People may call them junk flies, but my biggest fish of the year almost always comes off a micro egg. Two micro eggs in pink or light orange always work in tandem. One small shot between them under an indicator. Also sucker spawn in white and light orange in the fall and early december do well too. Sometimes if they arent hitting the eggs ill do the top fly egg, and bottom either a 20 pt or a 20 22 zebra midge. Then in january february ill use a 12 or 14 black stone beadhead or gold stone beadhead, depending on what stream im on. Need any info just pm me. Winter fishing is my favorite time of the year. Big fish come out to play depending on conditions, and lots less people.-Kev

Posted on: 12/16 23:17

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Stenonema wrote:

Yes. Use a glo-bug that looks like an actual egg. The size should be about the size of a pea.

And the color is a pale orange, not that bright flourescent orange.

i like size 18-22 eggs - tye in pale orange or yellow with just a touch of fluro orange in the middle. i also put a white glo bug yarn veil over mine.

i normally tye them off a wired stonefly like this to get them hard on the bottom :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-dozen-Beadh ... ain_0&hash=item54021a86ba

i find it works particularly well for rainbows and tailwater trout.

Posted on: 12/17 10:59

From Hunker
On stream practice is the best thing you can do to sharpen up on your nymphing skills, but there is alot of great books that will help you become even better. Just yesterday I was reading "on the Trout Stream with Joe Humphreys" and learned a few new things along with a few new fly patterns.. Take advantage of the knowledge

Posted on: 12/19 3:57
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Landenberg PA
I can reiterate that nymphs and midges are the way to go. In stocked cold water, they get very sluggish. I had a 19 inch bow on and thought it was some kind of snag he was so uninspired.

I think winter is some of the best fly fishing (then again I have never fished an outstanding Spring hatch, ducks from stones being thrown). Less people seem to deal with the cold, and there can be some awesome top water action.

My personal favorites are:
-Griffiths Gnat
-Hares Ear
-Zebra Midge
-Walts Worm
-Pheasant Tail
-Egg Patterns

I don't fish with an indicator, I never have either. Tungsten heads will get the midges and nymphs deeper and slower. Don't forget about adding some induced take method to your plan at the end of your drift.

Have fun!

Posted on: 12/20 20:48

From Whitehall, PA
On flat water in winter - Stinkbug.

Posted on: 12/21 19:26

From Gettysburg
Since I fish mostly SC limestoners for trout in winter much of the time there is a scud (olive, about #16-18) or a cress bug (gray, about #12-16) on my line.

I don't do much bass fishing in winter but have had some luck, esp if you stick to Dec and late Feb-March. Walleyes and other toothies are more active in winter rivers. For these WW game fish, I like a slender, Clouser Minnow fished very slow on the bottom just like a jig. Black is tough to beat.

Posted on: 12/21 22:31

From Portage, PA
I agree with the others.

I like the rubber leg stones as well. I skip the weaving on mine, and used dubbing. I am also part of the thin skin crowd. I had more success lass winter on large stoneflies than another other fly.

I like throwing caddis imitations as well, the standard nymphs always produce with the PT being most productive. I like size 14 on my traditional nymphs, and size 10-6 on my rubber leg stones.

Posted on: 12/27 10:27

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com