Winter Months

TossinFlies15

TossinFlies15

As mother nature warns this winter is looking to be another cold one. With that being said, I have been in a sling for 2 months now and can't fish until January (which I plan on doing). I've done some research and the general consensus is small subtle nymph patterns and fine leaders. However I have not seen anything on temperature of the water. If it is as absolutly freezing as it is supposed to be, do trout totally turn off or will I be fishing in vein?

A trout's metabolism is directly connected to the temperature. So when it's cold, the fish tend to be real slow. It's not impossible, as fish do need to eat, but it is much much more difficult.

Use some of the same tactics you use in the dead summer. Find some nice springs. The same spring that provides nice cold water in the summertime now provides warmer water in the winter.

don't sweat it pal , the same nymphs that were in the water this summer are still there , going small would be a good choice for starters , the only difference is u will have gloves on this winter and u might be surprised how well they cooperate in the winter , its not just a summer sport for some of us

both of the replies above tell the story, same nymphs as summer and find spring creeks that stay warmer in the winter. I've had (very few) days on spring creeks in the dead of winter and have caught 12-15 trout on top with various midge patterns. In fact, the first trout i caught on my own tied fly was Jan 11, 2010 on a parachute midge....trout seem to get extremely sluggish, in my experience, when the water approaches 40 degrees F

Just my experience, I fished this Friday when the air is 19 and the water is 33. I though it will be a really slow day but it turned out to be great. Most of the fish landed are from the shallow water which will be heated up quicker and easier. Those usually very productive deep pool and riffles are absolutely dead.

Well, we just had a really bad cold spell but I went out today. I caught one on a zebra midge, one on a flashback PT, and believe it or not, two on size 20 BWO dry flies. There was a hatch that popped off around 1:30pm.

I've had some of my best days in the winter. As they mentioned above, spring fed creeks will still have fairly active fish all winter long.

I'm planning to fish all winter. Last year I made 16 fishing trips between December and February, and had some excellent days. I'm figuring to make more trips this year. I live in Centre county, so all of the streams I fish have some level of limestone influence. Water temperatures on some of our true limestone streams don't drop below 45 degrees even during extended periods of cold weather.

The one thing that does drop water temps on the limestone streams is snowmelt. A lot of people want to go fishing when they see a 40-degree day after three weeks of sub-freezing temps. When snow is melting, fishing during the warmest part of the day can correspond with the lowest water temperatures as well as the worst fishing of the day. Fishing can be good on those warmer days, but you have to hit the stream before the snowmelt does.

I prefer to fish when the air temperatures are in the low- 30s with as little wind as possible, which ensures minimal snowmelt and it is warm enough that you can keep your hands from turning into icicles. I don't like to fish when the air temperatures are below the mid-20s, simply because de-icing your guides every 10 minutes is a pain in the ***. Most weeks provide at least a few windows of worthwhile fishing.

Also, don't fall in. I seem to do it several times per winter, and its never fun. Always keep a change of clothes in the car.

Pretty solid advice, esp about snowmelt running into the water and shutting the trout down. It took me a long time to figure that out.
As you were told, dress warmly, and if you're travelling, take along a change of clothes in case you fall in. Hypothermia is truly a concern.

Alright I do beleive I got it. I have a ton of size 20 - 22 zebra midges tied. Should I taper to around 6x?

Sounds fine to me. Best thing about winter fishing is there is usually no rush to get out to the water as you can let the water warm up a bit.

Winter is sometimes a good time to take trips with fishing buds who don't like to fish from dusk to dawn. Concentrate your time from 11-4ish. Heard it referred to cocktail fishing since you can be back by 5pm.

Rubber bottom boots also work well when there is snow on the ground since they don't pickup all the caking snow. Good Luck.

I grew up in PA and have fond memories of fishing the limestone streams near State College in the winter months. I am a fishing outfitter in Montana these days and still do a lot of winter fishing since it is our down time of year and the easiest season that I can do some personal fishing. There are several big differences between summer and winter fishing. The water temps (often near freezing) force the trout to feed very little. The peak feeding time is between noon and 4pm. Trout also move into winter lies which are in slower and deeper pools so leave the riffles for the warmer months. Fishing is mostly with nymphs. Midge larva are always a good bet but also try egg patterns, mayfly nymphs or cress bugs (if a limestoner). Sometimes midge hatches can be good for dries later in the winter.

When nymphing use yarn indicators because the takes are very light. I just wrote a few posts on winter fishing on our Montana fly fishing blog that discusses these techniques in more detail.

I have had decent luck with slow stripped streamers, seems that a big meal is tempting to them in the winter months as long as the dont have to work too hard for it.

crotalus, I take it your second hobby is herpetology?

joereese wrote:
crotalus, I take it your second hobby is herpetology?

Actually No!

Its a long story that involves unwanted Christmas gifts, online gaming and a lack of creativity.

in reality i really dont care much for snakes at all unless there is some type of object, whether it be glass, a shovel or a machete, between me and them. i find them interesting, i just dont want to be near them.

I lived and winter fished in Montana also and have to agree and disagree with MTangler-
On the west gallatin deep slow moving pools did seem to be the most productive during the winter but on the Yellowstone and Missouri[my favorite river] the fishing was best on the shallow riffles[had some awesome days-won't brag].
I never took the temp but suspect spring holes and small feeder springs were the reason for the good deep pool fishing while bedrock rock bottoms that were a degree or so warmer were the reason for the great shallows fishing-
so feeding fish are where you find them and winter,summer,nite or day thats usually were the temps are closest to the species ideal all things else being equal.

*Key info*
"The one thing that does drop water temps on the limestone streams is snowmelt. A lot of people want to go fishing when they see a 40-degree day after three weeks of sub-freezing temps. When snow is melting, fishing during the warmest part of the day can correspond with the lowest water temperatures as well as the worst fishing of the day. Fishing can be good on those warmer days, but you have to hit the stream before the snowmelt does."

I usually will hit the streams at 8:30-9AM till noon for the best fishing. You have to remember the melt water is just above freezing or it would have been frozen.

Back