Wind

FiveWeight

FiveWeight

I used to practice casting in the wind all the time.... Just so I was ready for this time of year. I hate the wind. Be it while I'm fly'n or ride'n.

I've been casting into the wind and my leader is not rolling out or whatever the term is. With the wind behind me, I casting great.

RCFetter wrote:
I've been casting into the wind and my leader is not rolling out or whatever the term is. With the wind behind me, I casting great.

RC,

I enjoy casting into wind like today's. It gives me an opportunity to practice my ducking! ;-)

Instead of casting into the wind, try turning around (if that makes it easier for you to visualize), cast with the wind and then lay your back cast down instead of your forward cast. I think the hardest thing I encounter when coaching less experienced casters is that the forward cast and back cast are really the same cast. For some folks I have found it helpful to have them lay the back cast down in windy conditions and it seems to click for them. If that makes any sense ;-)

It was very windy for me today. And I was fishing in a willow tunnel. Once I realized I couldn't beat it I waited until it stopped for a second and punched out a cast. It was one of the connecting with nature moments that made the day so much more rewarding.

I could have been ticked off at the wind but we shared the day together. She gave me broken water to disguise my presence most of the time and short windows to cast. A good friend!

Maurice wrote:
I could have been ticked off at the wind but we shared the day together. She gave me broken water to disguise my presence most of the time and short windows to cast. A good friend!

Well said...make friends with her ;-) She's an annoying friend, but she can be an annoying friend with benefits.

djs12354 wrote:
RCFetter wrote:

RC,

I enjoy casting into wind like today's. It gives me an opportunity to practice my ducking! ;-)

Reminds me of last year when we discussed falling down practice.

Do you have a method of ducking: bending at the knees; bending at the waist; or, a combination thereof.

Been windy every day for a month, it sucks.

Back cast is a good idea, I'll have to try that. I use a side arm cast in the wind and keep the line low and clost to the water. Takes some practice, but it gets the job done.

Maurice wrote:
It was very windy for me today. And I was fishing in a willow tunnel. Once I realized I couldn't beat it I waited until it stopped for a second and punched out a cast. It was one of the connecting with nature moments that made the day so much more rewarding.

I was out fishing with her on Spring creek yesterday myself, she can be a fickle friend in deed.

boychick wrote:
Back cast is a good idea, I'll have to try that. I use a side arm cast in the wind and keep the line low and clost to the water. Takes some practice, but it gets the job done.

I actually learned it fishing saltwater inshore for redfish. It's always breezy and you have to make long accurate casts (stuff we just rarely do on small trout streams). One day I was fishing in stiffer winds and the guide shared the same advice and as we worked through it....it changed my thought process and the dynamics of my casting forever.

If the wind is steady, change your angle and use the wind as your friend. I'm with Chaz, it's been quite windy this year. I fished for 30 minutes in Feb during the newbie jam and I'm itching to get out there but not looking forward to the wind.

Caught several days last year in the Catskills where the wind was 20-25 steady and then it would switch 180 degrees and gust at 45+. I had a nymph rig in the back of my neck, a green drake stuck in my cheek and a prince nymph sooooo deep in the bridge of the nose it took forcepts to remove it. As I rowed past DaveS, he looked over to see blood gushing off my nose and all over my gear. When you're in the middle of a 50-60' cast and the wind does complete change of direction, you better duck or open wide.

I can picture a cartoon of a gent with several flies stuck into him yelling to a another FF that it really wasn't that windy. Gotta have that one in the nose for sure.

Back