Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Will the Turnpike increases make you fish elsewhere???

From lancaster county
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local ... e7-8463-f70927fbe806.html

For me no,but I certainly won't be using it anymore to travel to my destinations

Posted on: 12/28 20:04

Re: Will the Turnpike increases make you fish elsewhere???

From Lancaster County
No. They have been going up every year for the past eight years or so and might continue for the next 20 years. When I have an extra half hour to burn, I'll take 522 and 22 to get to the center part of the state. Getting to Pittsburgh in the winter time? I'll probably just suck it up and pay the toll.

Act 44 created the millstone that would have been constant fare increases for probably my lifetime. Act 89 amended it, with payments to PennDOT ceasing after 2022, but it remains to be seen if the toll increases stop in four years.

Posted on: 12/28 21:23

From Morgantown, PA
No, but if it keeps up as forecasted it’ll make me live or work elsewhere. Sheesh.

Posted on: 12/28 22:37

No. I rarely use the turnpike. I only once used it to fish (and that was to get to fishing in Ohio).

Posted on: 12/28 22:39

afishinado wrote:

I find you very confrontational, offensive and have never seen more a glass-half-empty attitude.

From Dallastown, PA
I use the turnpike all the time. ‘Bout twice a month. Broke down twice the past week in the Bedford breezewood area. It’s a good place to break down, when crossing the state in the southern tier there s no better option for safety, efficiency and convenience. It’s really just a product you can choose to buy or not.

I know one thing, I have tried the rte 30 option. You can have that.

So if I am heading to the letort and gps tells me to travel a couple exits, I will extend the journey and take 581.to get to the Little J I will use it. Erie, use it if it’s inclimate weather, or if it’s an overnight trip for safety if I break down.

There is value to it. Unless you just hate paying taxes. Here is a tax where you get a direct service. Kinda like buying gum out of a candy machine.

Posted on: 12/28 22:54

From Greensburg, PA
I will use less of it.

Posted on: 12/28 22:56

From Pittsburgh
No.
When you consider the cost of gasoline during a fishing trip, the rate increase is pocket change IMO.

FWIW - I have an EZ pass, which gives a rather significant discount now

Posted on: 12/28 23:06

From lancaster county
Quote:
When you consider the cost of gasoline during a fishing trip, the rate increase is pocket change IMO.

For now. But at the rate they are forecasting, not a chance.

216 bucks to cross the state in 2044? I can drive across the state in my one car for easily under 20 bucks in gas.

I don't use it enough to feel it's effect like some of you (work) but my recreational use is over. I cant justify an EZ pass at my level of use.
Luckily/unfortunately I do not need to go towards Pittsburgh to fish for quality fisheries.

Posted on: 12/29 4:53

From lancaster county
Maurice,

While i agree with you, I'm certain a large portion of TP users commuting to Philly for work will disagree that it's a product you can choose to purchase.
In principle I agree but keep in mind you really don't have a choice. I'm my recent years I have noticed less and less traffic on it. That's fine and dandy but it's not just people like me not using it, it's also freight companies. Those guys are using more municipal roads and other highways not designed for that amount of extra traffic and weight. Roads go bad and you pay of it anyways.
Not much of a choice IMO.

If they wish to price themselves out of business, fine I guess but you will be paying Penn Dot one way or another

Hopefully the river is better next year ( water levels ) then the only pike I'll need is the Marietta

Posted on: 12/29 5:24

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
So if I am heading to the letort and gps tells me to travel a couple exits, I will extend the journey and take 581.to get to the Little J I will use it. Erie, use it if it’s inclimate weather, or if it’s an overnight trip for safety if I break down.

Mo, for the LJ, I'd still avoid the turnpike if I were you. Come to Carlisle like you normally would on the 83-581-81 route then pick up 641 out through Newville and go over the mountain at Roxbury instead of thru the turnpike tunnels, eventually you hit 522 at Shade Gap. It's not that much further of a drive time wise.

And no, the turnpike rates won't personally affect my fishing decisions.

Posted on: 12/29 6:40

From harlansburg
nope, have EZ pass, goes on girlfriends business account!! hehe!!
It WILL increase truck traffic on I-80 though.

Posted on: 12/29 7:10

From Tionesta PA
I think the Turnpike is still a good value. Just finished reading a couple books on the history of its construction.

Most of original route was from an incomplete rail line started in the 1880's.

Speed limit was loosely enforced for first couple years.

Was beta model for Eisenhower highway system. Lots of lessons learned on funding toll free highways.

EZ pass is a must have item.

Posted on: 12/29 7:18

From Chester County
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
I use the turnpike all the time. ‘Bout twice a month. Broke down twice the past week in the Bedford breezewood area. It’s a good place to break down, when crossing the state in the southern tier there s no better option for safety, efficiency and convenience. It’s really just a product you can choose to buy or not.

I know one thing, I have tried the rte 30 option. You can have that.

There is value to it. Unless you just hate paying taxes. Here is a tax where you get a direct service. Kinda like buying gum out of a candy machine.

I commuted to work every day using the TP. I spent more on tolls each day than on gas going to work. My commute cost me over $2000 a year in tolls.

If the money was spent exclusively on TP maintenance and infrastructure, than that would be fair; but that's not the case:

Since August 2007, the PTC made 40 quarterly payments to PennDOT totaling $5.65 billion. Of that, $2.25 billion has supported the PA Motor License Fund (MLF) where it is invested in off-Turnpike highway and bridge projects; $3.4 billion has supported the PA Public Transportation Trust Fund (PTTF) to provide financial assistance to the public-transit systems. Beginning in 2014, the PTC’s payments no longer funded the MLF but have gone exclusively to the PTTF. https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2017/20170718142419.htm

A good part of the money collected for tolls goes to "off Turnpike" road and bridge projects as well as to fund public transportation.

The gas tax should fund the costs of maintenance and repair to other roads, making all drivers that use those those roads share in paying for road improvements. It's not fair to put the burden on the poor schmucks that use the TP to get to work.

Hey Mo, how 'bout when you get your gum out the candy machine, and you have to give back two sticks so someone else, that didn't pay anything, has something to chew.

Posted on: 12/29 8:02

From Pittsburgh
Most of my travels to go fishing are on Rte 22 since I'm coming out of Pittsburgh. I only take the turnpike if I am headed to the Laurel Highlands, and I have alternate routes that I could use. That being said the Turnpike is almost always more convenient.

It's been a few years but isn't the EZ Pass transponder basically free? I thought I paid something like $40 and it was pre-loaded with $35 in tolls, with the remaining couple bucks considered their "set-up fee". There is no reason at this point not to get one if you are saving 15% or so just for having it on your dashboard when using the turnpike.

Posted on: 12/29 8:19

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

DanL wrote:
There is no reason at this point not to get one if you are saving 15% or so just for having it on your dashboard when using the turnpike.

+1. sal, I'd recommend you get one, even if you don't use it much. It will pay for itself the first few times you use it. Even if you don't plan on using the TPike, there may be times you have to out of necessity, or choose to out of convenience at the time. Just not having to wait in the cash lines is worth having it, nonetheless the toll savings. Plus it works in many other states. Driving down to the DE beaches to surf fish having EZPass is key, as the lines in those cash lanes can get dozens of cars long at times.

That's good info to know afish. And I agree. I'm a heavy TPike user. Morgantown to Harrisburg East and back each day for work. I'd much prefer all of my toll money to stay within the TPike system, but I'd prefer even more not to have to take the TPike. My company has offices in Harrisburg and Malvern, and over the last 10 years I've bounced back and forth between assignments in each. Living in between and being able to commute to either is the alternative to moving every 2 or 3 years. That being said, my current Harrisburg assignment seems to be a bit more permanent. If that continues to be the case, I may consider a move back to Lebanon Co. somewhere where I could take 934 up to 81 to get to work (Colonial Park area), and shorten the commute and avoid the TPike. Could still commute to Malvern from that area if needed as well, but back on the TPike in that case. There's talk of working remotely 2 or 3 days a week too, and only reporting to the office a couple times/week...that'd be ideal.

The history of TPike is quite fascinating. I've biked the abandoned section near Breezewood with the two tunnels. There's another abandoned tunnel at the crest of Laurel Ridge that was used by Chip Ganassi racing as a real world wind tunnel for a time. Two more in between Laurel Ridge and Allegheny Mountain that were partially dug for the railroad route, but not used in the highway alignment in favor of open rock cuts. The existing tunnels are big maintenance cost drivers, with nearly constant studies being done on how to either renovate them or figure ways to bypass them.

Posted on: 12/29 8:53

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com