Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Will the Turnpike increases make you fish elsewhere???

Thanks, poopdeck, I appreciate the information.

By the way, I still use the tip you mentioned on here for CC skimmers at fuel stations and the ATM.

Posted on: 12/29 15:37

afishinado wrote:

I find you very confrontational, offensive and have never seen more a glass-half-empty attitude.

From Chester County
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
EZ-Pass costs $35 to purchase - that first $35 goes to your tolls and then auto-replenishes when your account dips low, and there is a small annual maintenance fee, but that is easily offset by what you'd pay in cash. I prefer to look at EZ-Pass as the actual toll cost; paying with cash incurs a surcharge. The move will be to eliminate cash payments and have the toll collection be all electronic and automated.

Truck traffic has already shifted north to I-80. The whole wheeling and dealing to try and make I-80 a toll road (and the failure thereof) is one of the reasons why the deals were cut with PennDOT; when the toll revenue from 80 never materialized, the turnpike was forced to increase revenue another way.

The whole $416 toll in 2044 is bogus. The article is poorly written, in that it has no history of why the turnpike toll increase went into place in the first place, or how later legislation changed the financial obligation. But $416 in 2044 makes for a more sensational article, I guess. I will go out on a limb and say the toll won't be $416 in 2044. But it will be higher than it is in 2018

A better analogy to the PFBC for the toll increases and how they relate to a general tax, instead of a user fee, is how the Lake Erie stamp monies are allocated. Initially, all those monies were intended to be placed in a restricted fund for acquiring easements. Buy a combo stamp today and only $6 goes into the Erie fund; the rest is general fund money.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the I-80 deal nor the Erie stamp appropriation.

You know, in the real world that we all live in, the above would be labeled "misappropriation of funds" and/or fraud, and people actually go to jail for doing that stuff.

But in the world of politics and government it's called SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

How 'bout the passing of allowing oil drilling in Alaska's National Wildlife Refuge which was buried in the recent tax bill.....nice!

Posted on: 12/29 17:03

From lancaster county
If not having an EZ pass puts you in the stoneage then consider me Fred Flintstone.
I don't have TV nor a home computer. I don't want it either. It's likely my smart phone will go next. I have little desire for technology, in fact I mostly despise it even though I build high end military and commercial electronics, engineer processes and run/maintain advanced machinery. Kind of ironic.

These kinds of things in the end waterdown life IMO.
Id rather read a book than watch tv. I'd rather pay in cash than card. Just my way of things I suppose.

I'd consider an EZ pass if I didn't have to link it to my bank account, since you do, I have little desire for the thing.

Posted on: 12/29 17:32

I guess tar came across a little rough. Not sure about PA, but my EZ pass in NY has never been linked to a bank account, always a credit card.

Posted on: 12/29 17:44

From lancaster county
Well then double my loathing for an EZ pass. I don't own credit cards anymore nor will I ever.

Posted on: 12/29 17:59

From Erie Co.
"Buy a combo stamp today and only $6 goes into the Erie fund; the rest is general fund money."
Yes with a comb 6 to Erie fund the other would go to the general fish fund just like the trout stamp. I does save one money or one would need an Erie Stamp and a Trout Stamp.
The Erie fund is working look at the easements that have been acquired and the projects completed that would not have happened if the fund simple put the excess moneys from the net buy out went into the general fish fund.
To cross the state for me I use I-86 and RT 17 avoids tools and truck traffic.

Posted on: 12/29 18:21

From lancaster county
Quote:
To cross the state for me I use I-86 and RT 17 avoids tools and truck traffic.

Lol you found the only 2 roads in PA without idiot drivers?

Posted on: 12/29 18:39

86 and 17 are one road. I use that route too when possible. 80 is brutal with all of the trucks. Ne extension is decent since the limit has been bumped to 70. I don't use 76 much because 17 and 80 are more local to me.

Posted on: 12/29 19:13

From Greensburg, PA
Neither of these roads are in PA are they? NY?

I live in Greensburg and my kids goes to Dickinson. We make dozens of trips each year. In good weather i can drive to Somerset, Bedford, Breezewood before getting on the like and avoid tolls. I can get off at Willow hill...take the back way in...just easier to go exit to exit. I've made it from Carlisle to new Stanton in 2hrs once on the turnpike. My wife is still recovering.

Posted on: 12/29 21:16

From SE Pa
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:

By the way, I still use the tip you mentioned on here for CC skimmers at fuel stations and the ATM.

Don't forget to over the keypad with your hand when entering your PIN. The skimmers also need your pin so they mount a very small camera above the keypad to capture your pin. I think I forgot to mention that the last time.

Posted on: 12/29 21:22

86/17 is on the southern ny border. It crosses into pa a little bit. I think near sayre.

Posted on: 12/29 21:57

Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:

Don't forget to over the keypad with your hand when entering your PIN. The skimmers also need your pin so they mount a very small camera above the keypad to capture your pin. I think I forgot to mention that the last time.

I'll do that from this point on, I didn't know about the small cameras. Thanks again for the tip(s).

Posted on: 12/29 22:22

From Lancaster County
As much as I dislike the turnpike and the tolls that are charged, having just made the trip from home to Pittsburgh and back, I have to give the Commission major props for snow removal. Granted, it was not a big snow (3-5 inches), but we left Saturday morning at 6:45 when the snow was ramping up. Secondary roads were dicey at best, 283 was better but not great, but as soon as we hit the turnpike, we had mostly just wet roads. At one point, I saw something I never saw before - four plow trucks running almost in parallel. The far left truck was in the front, on the left shoulder. That truck plowed the snow into the far left lane, where the next truck plowed the snow to the middle lane, where that truck plowed the snow to the right lane, and that truck plowed it to the right shoulder. The only place we really had any snow on the roadway was between Donegal and New Stanton, where a heavy band of snow was falling. I felt like my toll dollars (for a few hours) were being spent in a way that actually benefited me.

Posted on: 1/1 12:45

From SE PA - Montgomery County
No, because these tolls indirectly pay a portion of my salary.

Posted on: 1/2 8:45

From Brickerville
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
It WILL increase truck traffic on I-80 though.

It has increaded truck traffic on I-80. the turnpike has been increasing rates consistently over the past few years to keep up the payments to PennDOT. When I use the turn pike the truck traffic is very light. Get on 80 and it is tough to get away from the trucks. I dont remember 80 being like the until that past few years.

Posted on: 1/2 11:34

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com