Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Will the Turnpike increases make you fish elsewhere???

Dump your EZ-Pass so you actually see & feel the tolls you pay and you may change your mind about whether or not you will change your habits regarding use.

PA with its ridiculous agency redundancy is mostly to blame. It's time to combine PennDOT with the Turnpike Commission (like just about every other state does successfully).

And while you are at it PA, merge the Fish & Boat Commission, Game Commission, DCNR and the DEP into one agency (like just about every other state does successfully).

A couple of Executive Director's salary dumps and other consolidation may stave off a license increase or two...

Posted on: 12/29 9:43

From Chester County
Quote:

Bamboozle wrote:
Dump your EZ-Pass so you actually see & feel the tolls you pay and you may change your mind about whether or not you will change your habits regarding use.

PA with its ridiculous agency redundancy is mostly to blame. It's time to combine PennDOT with the Turnpike Commission (like just about every other state does successfully).

And while you are at it PA, merge the Fish & Boat Commission, Game Commission, DCNR and the DEP into one agency (like just about every other state does successfully).

A couple of Executive Director's salary dumps and other consolidation may stave off a license increase or two...

Every day...twice a day at rush hour you may not want to wait in line to pay and have to carry cash (not even change anymore) to pay the tolls.

Also, throwing around a couple of dollars here and there doesn't seem like much, but pulling up your monthly toll bill and seeing it equals more than half your monthly car payment is a real eye opener!

YMMV though.

Posted on: 12/29 9:51

Although I was talking philosophically, I get the waiting in line thing although other than a few extremely busy interchanges, at most the wait is negligible and the convenience is not necessarily worth the annual EZ-Pass fee. I know more than a few folks that don't use EZ-Pass because of where they access the Turnpike.

In regards to the dough, somehow I conveniently forget to get outraged when I see the recurring $70 EZ-Pass charge on my credit card bill each month. I have a feeling I’d feel differently if I pulled out the $25 I spent going back and forth this past Christmas out of my pocket...

All of this outrage might be softened somewhat if PA went the way of the Golden Gate Bridge where it is a transponder or nothing. That means no overpaid toll takers getting a fat pension and benefits package to make change for an antiquated system of revenue collection.

That savings alone might pay for a few bridge repairs!!

Posted on: 12/29 10:20

From Mont Co, Pa
No, a toll increase will not change a thing for me. I only use the NE extension of the Pa Turnpike to get to the Poconos anyway. I took Rt 80 (flawless & free) to get to Ohio for a bow hunt this year, but coming home I took the Pa Turnpike, what a mistake!!!!!! I will NEVER travel that road again. Never. Between on and off road work, speed limit changes, going through towns, lights, tunnels, and toll cost's, I learned my lesson. From now on, I'll use Rt 80 going anywhere west.

Posted on: 12/29 10:25

Edited by wildtrout2 on 2017/12/29 10:53:25
Edited by wildtrout2 on 2017/12/29 10:54:54

From Chester County
Quote:

Bamboozle wrote:
Although I was talking philosophically, I get the waiting in line thing although other than a few extremely busy interchanges, at most the wait is negligible and the convenience is not necessarily worth the annual EZ-Pass fee. I know more than a few folks that don't use EZ-Pass because of where they access the Turnpike.

In regards to the dough, somehow I conveniently forget to get outraged when I see the recurring $70 EZ-Pass charge on my credit card bill each month. I have a feeling I’d feel differently if I pulled out the $25 I spent going back and forth this past Christmas out of my pocket...

All of this outrage might be softened somewhat if PA went the way of the Golden Gate Bridge where it is a transponder or nothing. That means no overpaid toll takers getting a fat pension and benefits package to make change for an antiquated system of revenue collection.

That savings alone might pay for a few bridge repairs!!

^ understood and agree.

The main point is the TP tolls should be a user fee and not a general tax, where toll dollars collected are spent on roads other than the TP as well as on and public transportation. TP users pay the gas tax for all road maintenance like everyone else, but also are asked to pay tolls to be used for general road maintenance. That's double dipping.

This is so the H-burg politicians can tell us they didn't raise taxes, just users fees. The TP toll increases every year is a general tax increase posing as a user fee.

How would we feel if some our fishing license dollars actually went to paying travel expenses for the H-burgers to go to Belize for a legislative conference?

Posted on: 12/29 10:48

From Morgantown, PA
My monthly commuting expenses are approximately $400/month:

Turnpike Tolls: $180 (Roughly $9/day)
Gas: $240 (2 tanks of gas/week @approx. $30/tank - Toyota Camry 4 cyl.)

Add in other things like an oil change/tire rotation every other month, more rapid depreciation on my vehicle (approx. 30k miles/year on the vehicle I commute with), etc, and it's a lot. I certainly don't like it, but it's built into my expense budget. The part that stinks is when you think about how much more I could be putting into a mortgage, or otherwise saving, by cutting commuting costs. Just moving back to Lebanon County would save over $300/month by eliminating the tolls and reducing fuel costs to less than one tank/week. I could probably even eliminate a vehicle all together from my expenses and just daily drive my 4Runner...would only be approx 40 miles/day round trip. All stuff to think about. The second I do it though, I'll be transferred back to Malvern or there will be a promotional opportunity I want to explore there.

As far as FFing goes though...once you have made the initial investment in gear, it's a relatively inexpensive hobby to have, all things considered. In any given year, the main expenses for me are all travel related...fuel, lodging, food, tolls, etc. For my bigger trips each year, I'm usually going with friends and there's some inherent cost sharing saving there.

Posted on: 12/29 11:04

From SE Pa
I was in Michigan when a friend told me his son was traveling to philly for work. They don't have tolls in Michigan. He told me he gave his son a roll of quarters for the trip. He almost fell over when I told him he was ten rolls short.

Won't change a thing for me fishing wise. I don't travel that far to fish and I don't need toll roads to get there. I do have EZ pass on four cars. With one kid working in Manhattan and the other down south I've long ago stopped looking at the amount.

Try going over the GW bridge without EZ pass. Having EZ pass is a must.

Posted on: 12/29 11:15

From Pittsburgh
I don't drive the TP much.
Usually just when I'm fishing the laurel highlands, which involves driving from monroeville to new stanton, or donegal - like 20 to 30 miles.
But I still think the EZ pass is worthwhile.
Besides the 15% savings, breezing thru the tollgates - and not fumbling around with cash - makes it worth owning IMO.
I've had it for at least 5-6 years now, and maybe something has changed since then.
But I seem to recall the transponder having a minimal initial cost. And has more than paid for itself since then.

It also works in most other states we've traveled in.
Only place it didn't work that I can recall, is florida. They want something called a sunshine pass there, if I remember correctly

Posted on: 12/29 11:16

From Gettysburg
I doubt the T-pike fees will have any impact on my fishing in 2018.

Posted on: 12/29 11:53

From Fayettenam
i believe you get 35 dollars in tolls when you purchase the EZ pass. Never have to worry about toll money.

Posted on: 12/29 11:59

Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Driving down to the DE beaches to surf fish having EZPass is key, as the lines in those cash lanes can get dozens of cars long at times.

I have a beach house in DE and have practically lived there the past two summers. That means rt1 twice a week. The "dozens" of cars had to have been an outlier. In years of travel down there (when I was a kid on family vacations too), I've never seen more than 3 cars in line. I always pay cash.

Now DE has a problem with their "quarter collection" machines (for the $.50 tolls). I encounter it at least twice a year where they don't register the quarters. I've started taking pictures to document it now for when they send me the fine and I have to fight it.

I've debated getting an EZpass. My only drawback is hearing "wives tales" of people stealing credit card info from them when left on the windshield. I could keep it in the foil in the console. But I'll forget it when I'm in a hurry one day. I've had trouble with stolen CC info before, I don't want to invite more.

Posted on: 12/29 12:50

From Lancaster County
EZ-Pass costs $35 to purchase - that first $35 goes to your tolls and then auto-replenishes when your account dips low, and there is a small annual maintenance fee, but that is easily offset by what you'd pay in cash. I prefer to look at EZ-Pass as the actual toll cost; paying with cash incurs a surcharge. The move will be to eliminate cash payments and have the toll collection be all electronic and automated.

Truck traffic has already shifted north to I-80. The whole wheeling and dealing to try and make I-80 a toll road (and the failure thereof) is one of the reasons why the deals were cut with PennDOT; when the toll revenue from 80 never materialized, the turnpike was forced to increase revenue another way.

The whole $416 toll in 2044 is bogus. The article is poorly written, in that it has no history of why the turnpike toll increase went into place in the first place, or how later legislation changed the financial obligation. But $416 in 2044 makes for a more sensational article, I guess. I will go out on a limb and say the toll won't be $416 in 2044. But it will be higher than it is in 2018

A better analogy to the PFBC for the toll increases and how they relate to a general tax, instead of a user fee, is how the Lake Erie stamp monies are allocated. Initially, all those monies were intended to be placed in a restricted fund for acquiring easements. Buy a combo stamp today and only $6 goes into the Erie fund; the rest is general fund money.

Posted on: 12/29 12:52

Not having ez pass is like living in the stone age. I drive over 30k mi/yr for work. I'm fortunate because work picks up all of my gas and tolls.

Posted on: 12/29 13:40

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
Not having ez pass is like living in the stone age.

EZ Pass is the new boo.

Posted on: 12/29 13:48

From SE Pa
Your ez pass transponder cannot get hacked to gain your credit card info. No way no how. It can be hacked to be used to find you but the distance this is effective means you would already have to be found to allow someone to follow you.

The scam comes in like any other scam. You get an email saying you didn't pay a toll or your Transponder no longer works so click on the link to correct the problem. Once you click on the link you just let the hackers into your computer where your credit/banking info is typically stored. so it's not the transponder being hacked. It's simply a sneaky low life story to get you to open up your computer to them.

Posted on: 12/29 15:28

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com