Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Wild vs Stockies

From Philadelphia PA
As I just said:
"It's a shame that this fun topic turned into someone putting down other's enjoyment, sports teams, etc. for their own pleasure."

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:03
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I thought cabin fever was over?

Extended season?

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:13

From Central, PA

This no doubt has to be more fun then fishing for stock trout right? If anyone takes to heart that I said philly teams suck get some thicker skin its in a joking manor. Your points have been very justified and I understand all of you more now. My shift is ending soon as Im fishing in 40 minutes so If you want to chew the fat throw me some quickly

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:16

From Philadelphia PA
Hook_Jaw:
Not really.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:46
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Chester County
Hook_Jaw: For the last few years i have fished exclusively for wild trout, and i agree that its much more challenging, but theres no need to insult people who fished for stocked trout just because they have too. Fly Fishing is Fly Fishing, i just wish people would realize that.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:22

From Lansdale
Hookjaw,
I guess we should all bow down to you???

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:36

From Chadds Ford, PA
And, frankly, I've been fishing almost exclusively for wild trout and don't find them all that difficult to catch. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:42

From LV
Quote:

Hook_Jaw wrote:
I don't know why anyone with the exception of kids fish stock trout.

Excellent point, there is no comparison. The only reason to fish for stocked trout is to harvest them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/25 18:49

From Landenberg, PA
i have no problem fishing for stockies. i'd rather fish for wild fish and i know i'm getting a dumbed down version but that's okay too.

i wouldn't eat one though, because you don't know what steriods, hormones or antibiotics they feed them.

What i do know is that they do feed them on processed menhaden or sandeels partly, which is decimating the striper and tuna foodbase, and bringing cormorants inshore who are in turn decimating inshore waters and trout ponds, so i wouldn't eat em on principle.

i've always found that in cold water (below 50 say) a fat stocker can give a good account of itself.

and i put em back so the noobs/kids can catch them.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 19:06

Stocked fish definately taste better and fight harder. Harder to catch depends on the day and the place. I've hit some Hendrickson hatches this week where the wise old wild browns have been acting downright stupid.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 20:07

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
And, frankly, I've been fishing almost exclusively for wild trout and don't find them all that difficult to catch. Sorry to burst your bubble.

prof, well said. We have all seen stories on these very boards about double digit fish during the hatch of the day - "couldn't miss...missed just as many as I caught...etc."

It's really just a matter of choice or moreover, availability as other have said. Like a lot of guys on this board, I live about 35 minutes from a wild trout Stream. The Gunpowder is my home water, and I would fish there every day if I could. But I also live 10 minutes from a put and take stream, and before the end of spring, I will take a crack at the stockers. They are not necessarily easier to catch all of the time, just different.

When all I have time for is to chuck a few flies at some stocked fish, I do it. Like the saying goes, "pullage is pullage." For those of us that enjoy fishing for sunfish and smallmouth during the hot summer, the fact that they are "easy" to catch does not make it any less fun to catch them

Posted on: 2013/4/25 22:38

From Gamehendge
My local stream has a very high population of wild fish. They stock over them. Needless to say. I fish for the wilds, an do pretty well with them. If a stockie takes, ill catch him with a smile only face. But secretly wishing it was wild. Stocked fish, like spin fishing are for children and uneducated old men.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 23:03

From Gamehendge
If you wann catch wild fish. You will put the time in to find them an catch them.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 23:04

From Butler, Pa
I hope to one day be as elite as you guys :)
not. . .
grow up

I have caught wild fish on bubble gum and have had more wild fish stike my indicator than stockies so please just put this to rest. No need to degrade people because of your elite preferences. As to answer Pennys question, I do enjoy fishing for the big stockies the ones that peel the drag after they've been in for a while. But I also love to explore the wilderness streams just thinking what kind of fish could hold in the run or hole. I'd say I'll take a 10+" wild over a 16" stockie but it would take a 14" wild to rival a 20+" stocked trout's fight.

And I do agree Penny wild fish taste better but I've only ever kept one which I accidentally killed.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 2:02

From Clinton County, Pa.
I flyfish for wild and stocked trout. I have seen stocked fish that have been in the water a while that are as hard to catch as a wild fish. You guys who say you fish ONLY over wild fish are missing ALOT of fun!

Posted on: 2013/4/26 7:36

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com