Wild rainbow... and more.

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

Thought I would share a few pictures with you guys for fun. Caught my first wild rainbow this year. This stream is primarily native brook trout, but I have also caught one wild brown so far (and lost another potential wild, definitely a brown). It is pretty amazing the variety of fish that can be found in what many of you would consider a very small stream.

Attachments

• wild bow.jpg
    wild bow.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 10
  • wildbrown.jpg
    wildbrown.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 6
  • brook.jpg
    brook.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
Congrats B&H! They sure are some beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing with us.

Beautiful.

Nice!

Awesome

Those colors are stunning!

Those colors are stunning...number 1 is like, whoa

Nice fish, great pictures. That rainbow even smiled for you.

Wow congrats, those are some beautiful fish.

GenCon

I also caught a couple small wild rainbows this year and they sure are beautiful!

great pics, thanks......

Congrats on some great catches. Great pics also. Small stream fishing for natives, my type of fishing.

Aaahhhh...gemmies!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Yes, a few gemmies in there. I have caught some nice sized fish in the same stream, these were just some good looking fish. I have caught a few 10"+ brookies in there, rather large for the area, and one fish in the 12-14" range. I also caught a large holdover rainbow earlier this year, and lost a 15"+ brown at the net in this stream. I have a decent drive for good sized water so I do a good amount of small stream fishing when I only have a short amount of time to get out.

The little wild bow fought like a 12"+ wild fish, and actually tried to run off on me. Surprising for such a tiny fish. The brown literally came out of the water on my lap when I set the hook. A real gem sized brown there hahaha. The rainbow was sure pretty, I have caught some nice looking bows before, but never one with all the spots and parrs to the point this guy did.

Here is a shot of some bigger brooks and the holdover bow that got in there somehow.

Pics:

Attachments

• rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Bigbrookiepic1.jpg
    Bigbrookiepic1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3
GREAT pics, thanks for sharing.

That bow sure is perty.

Most of the wild bows I've caught are actually on the ugly side (silver) compared to stocked fish.

I'm sure I have caught more before at one point or another, but it's really hard to tell to be sure unless you're in a specific watershed. I've caught them places I did not expect, colored up, but I usually believe them to be holdovers. With this guy there was no doubt with the small size, color, and markings. I catch a lot of ugly bows, and a lot of pretty stockers out of streams with good water too haha.

Back