HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Wild or stocked?

From Armstrong County
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
The thing that gets me about these posts is how many hundreds of streams have fingerlings stocked in them. Maybe even thousands of streams get fingerlings, NOT! There are but a handful of streams receiving fingerlings and they seldom survive long enough for ANYONE to be able to say, 'stocked fingerling.'

And you know this how? The PFBC doesn't even announce all of their adult trout stockings.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:53

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
The wild or stocked thing is a very tired subject line. Typically based on a bad photo and every Tom, Dock & Harry will chime in with there "expertise" on fish identification.

Exactly!

I disagree, I find it very interesting. I don't always agree with the differing opinions but in the end it doesn't matter. It is interesting discussion on a discussion board.

Sincerely,
Dock

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:03

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Mountainbrookie wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
The thing that gets me about these posts is how many hundreds of streams have fingerlings stocked in them. Maybe even thousands of streams get fingerlings, NOT! There are but a handful of streams receiving fingerlings and they seldom survive long enough for ANYONE to be able to say, 'stocked fingerling.'

And you know this how? The PFBC doesn't even announce all of their adult trout stockings.

The stocking of browns from co-op nurseries with weaker growth rates can contribute to this theory about fingerling stockings. Fish commonly stocked that are under 10" can present interesting colorations and be confused with fingerling stockings. I won't get into details but I've handled alot of them prior to stocking and then a few months later. While I can tell they are not wild many exhibit many of the indicators. (and lack some)

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:08

From Lancaster
Alright, I guess I should chime in since I started this mess. First of all, I would like to clarify that I was in no way, shape or form trying to be an elitist with this thread - simply not my MO. Nor was it my intention to turn it into a pissin' match although I knew there was an inherent risk that it might go that way. I merely posted a picture - which admittedly wasn't the best photo - and asked the forum members for some feedback on stocked vs. wild trout. Many folks provided that feedback and I thank them for it. I thought many of the opinions offered on the various characteristics were very interesting.

This fish was caught in the FFO C&R section of the West Branch of the Octararo Creek in southern Lancaster Co. I always considered this stream a totally stocked trout fishery - and I still do. I am unaware of any streams on the natural repro list in the W. Branch's watershed. However, the thing that left me wondering was the fact that this fish had the grayish-blue eye spot. It was a bit hard to see in the photo but I clearly noticed it before the release. I never remember catching a stocked brown that clearly showed this trait.

Years ago this stretch was regulated as FFO/Delayed Harvest. I always figured this reg was on because of the elevated water temps and the inability of fish to survive through the summer. At one point the regulation was changed from DH to C&R. I am not exactly sure why this change was made. Over the years I have discovered several cooler springs that enter the stream through the streambed due to the local geology. Some deeper areas just downstream of these springs offer fish an environment to possibly holdover through the summer. I have never heard anything about any natural reproducing brown trout in this stream. The State stocks the stream every year (spring and fall - I think) and I am unaware of any co-op, club or fingerling stocking programs. If anyone had any other insight on the West Branch I would enjoy hearing it.

This post wouldn't be complete unless I apologized to all the Tom, Dick and Harrys out there who are .... Oh so tired of discussing stocked and wild trout. I am sorry for wasting so much of your time. However, I think it is important for all of us to remember that the Tom, Dick and Harrys out there who so greatly share their love for flyfishing are what make this online community so great. We all play an important role in that.

Kum-ba-yaaaaaaa

Posted on: 2013/8/2 22:48

From Dallastown, PA
John,

There is a co-op that stocks there.

I win the internets!

Posted on: 2013/8/3 0:30

From Lancaster
Maurice,

Thanks for that info. It all kind of makes sense with what you said about co-op nursery brown trout in one of your earlier posts. Well, would you look at that ...... I actually learned something new about a stream that I have been flyfishing for over 30 years. I don't doubt some other folks may find it interesting as well. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 7:03

From Chester County
dc410, I didn't think anything was wrong with your OP at all, you were just purely curious if a trout you caught was wild or stocked, I don't see anything wrong with that, you caught it on a fly rod, and this is a fly fishing board...

Posted on: 2013/8/3 14:21

From Monessen, PA
+++3^

Posted on: 2013/8/3 14:43

From Mont Co, Pa
Yea, there's been many "stocked or wild" threads on here, but after 4 years of reading them I still find them interesting. I'm not beyond learning. After enough time any subject can become "tired" to some folks.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 16:46

From NE OH
Maurice's added info alone made this thread more educational. The 3 brown trout streams we have in OH are stocked with 6-8" fingerlings. By the end of 2-3l years in the stream they have naturalized and look like many 14" wild PA brown...red spots, red dots on the adipose fin, blue dot behind the eye, and (as with most fingerling stocked trout) the fins are perfect.

Here's an example of a 15" fish that has been in the creek for ~2.5 years. He's starting to look like a wild fish. In another year, it will be difficult to say he is not wild just from seeing the picture alone.

Attach file:

jpg  1000881_10200369202381845_1396588282_n.jpg (107.67 KB)
3679_51fd79ac53b78.jpg 960X521 px

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:44

Edited by PatrickC on 2013/8/3 18:02:18

From Dallastown, PA
Patrick,

Now shes a fatty! I would venture to guess that fish was caught between September and January. I see the typically black spots beginning to infuse with "red" although it appears orangish it is a typical during the spawning season. And while I do see those spots [black]getting color I really don't see any red lateral line spots. Another common stocked trait.

We see this in our watershed with BT that carry over the summer that are larger than 12".

You are not gonna see that blue eye spot on the younger stocked fingerlings until after a year or more...sometimes never. I really believe it has to do with some threshold of when their diet changed from fishmeal to natural forage. If the fish has lost all par marks and is a true adult I think it loses its "window" to develop it. The younger or smaller they are stocked the greater their chance to get it. And while present on your fish its not strong like on many truly wild BT.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 21:21

From NE OH
May 14 was when she was caught. I was shocked how intense her coloration was. This was caught on the upper creek above the reservoir which stays cool and the fish holdover.

There is a section of the lower creek (below the reservoir) that is stocked with some brood stock every couple of years in the Winter. The fish do not make it through the Summer due to water temps.

So, in support of your comments, here is a 21" buck that is responsible for some of the genetics in the upper creek. A real difference when that wild diet is introduced.

Attach file:

jpg  ClearForkMay232011016-1.jpg (34.64 KB)
3679_51fdb748b6cb7.jpg 319X218 px

Posted on: 2013/8/3 22:07

From Ferguson Twp.
One thing to keep in mind with topics that get discussed a lot on here and have come to bore the regulars is there are constantly new anglers coming on board with us and have yet to talk about a certain subject with this many different flyfishers in the detail it gets to here to get bored with it.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 7:36

From Gettysburg
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
One thing to keep in mind with topics that get discussed a lot on here and have come to bore the regulars is there are constantly new anglers coming on board with us and have yet to talk about a certain subject with this many different flyfishers in the detail it gets to here to get bored with it.

This is a good point and worth remembering. When I was new on this forum I too started some threads that I thought were interesting and original but, in fact, were old hat. Truth be told, the overwhelming preponderance of material on this forum (like most fly fishing magazines etc) is recycled stuff. Genuinely new ideas or truly original topics are rare.

Sometimes if a well intentioned new forum member starts a thread on an old topic with which we're tired of (or a stream we have discussed at great length recently) a polite and gentle suggestion to try the Advanced Search......or better yet a courteous link to the last thread on the topic, can be helpful.

But we don't want to discourage enthusiastic new members of our forum (esp if they're beginning FFers) from starting new threads.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 8:05

From LV
Quote:

Mountainbrookie wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Fingerlings! Fingerlings ARE NOT adult trout!!! I didn't say anything about adult trout. Many of these fish that people think are holdovers are more than likely trout stocked by co-ops, which often have better color and fins then the PFBC staocked adult fish.
As I said before there aren't many streams that receive fingerlings, they just do't survive.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 8:24

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com