HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Wild or stocked?

From NE OH
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
I also realize this question has been asked many times on the forum, just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

I think people just want to know from a curiosity standpoint. They are trying to learn and there are some fish with blended characteristics. I DON'T think most people are being elitist about it.

Now, you might see Geo, Shane, and me jokingly busting each other's nuts about whether a fish is a stocker, but we are just being goofs. Geo asked me last night if an Arctic Char I caught was a stocker....that's just us.

I do prefer to fish for wild fish, but that is primarily because of the locations where wild fish are found and because they are quite spectacular in their coloration. That being said, I take my kids for stocker trout, because they are in locations easy for the kids to get to and easier for them to catch.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 8:33

Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Stocker and does it really matter?

It's about understanding streams and their fish populations.

If you are able to distinguish wild from stocked trout, you can start understanding what the situation is in the streams you fish.

It has practical uses in fishing, and importance in fisheries management, conservation and restoration.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 9:19

From Harrisburg
When on the fence, lean stocker. For my money, I wouldn't think twice about labeling it such.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:11

From Dauphin PA
Dwight,

Feel free to point out one fisheries biologist participating in the thread. The wild or stocked thing is a very tired subject line. Typically based on a bad photo and every Tom, Dock & Harry will chime in with there "expertise" on fish identification.

If he labeled the thread "Hey Mike, I think I caught a wild trout in XYZ watershed. Can you confirm, provide information or you opinion?". That might have been better.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:43

From South Lebanon Township, PA
In all seriousness I don't think Mike (or any fisheries biologist) could be appreciably more accurate than many of the "amateur" posters here…assuming the same set of facts: The same picture, and assuming both know and have firsthand experience with the watershed in question. If you're just working off a picture with no watershed info, even less so.

The point to be taken from these questionable wild/stockie threads is that it's really impossible to tell for sure without killing the fish and testing and comparing its genetics to known wild fish from that watershed and known stockers from that watershed. And even then you can end up with questions if more than one entity is stocking the same species in that watershed and getting their fish from different sources. There are many credible, knowledgeable anglers in these threads that often take very different positions from the same set of information…no way to be 100% accurate. It's nothing more than a best guess scenario in nearly all of these cases. Whether or not you enjoy the debate and discussion is a separate matter I guess.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, I didn't claim it to really matter as much as how much of an "accomplishment" the catch is.

As troutbert said, learning to distinguish can help understand fisheries and make you a better fisherman. And in this case, the OP asked for our opinions, and we all gave them. I saw nobody get elitist about it.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:28

From Armstrong County
Looks like a stockie or stocked fingerling to me. I've caught them with the same fin color, perfect fins, ect.

99.999999999% of the wild browns I've caught have had a less dense spot pattern and at least a few prominent red spots with a white halo somewhere along their side.

This is just my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:39

From Dauphin PA
I might take a 2mp photo of a dark suit jacket from across the room, post it and ask ..... Is it blue or black? Lol

Sort, couldn't resist.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:54

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
The wild or stocked thing is a very tired subject line. Typically based on a bad photo and every Tom, Dock & Harry will chime in with there "expertise" on fish identification.

+ infinity. I say post the dark suit jacket photo.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 12:03

From Monessen, PA
Maybe.

I mean, yeah, stocked or wild.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 12:50

From down the block from the Letort.
a mythical Cutbrown?

Or maybe a Rainbrown since it's lacking in the red colors....

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:15

From Dauphin PA
I posted 2 photos of suckers over the winter (was bored) and titled it "wild or stocked". LMAO. It was hard to tell since their suction cup was fully intact. That thread got yanked from the forum but there were quite a few replies.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:28

From LV
The thing that gets me about these posts is how many hundreds of streams have fingerlings stocked in them. Maybe even thousands of streams get fingerlings, NOT! There are but a handful of streams receiving fingerlings and they seldom survive long enough for ANYONE to be able to say, 'stocked fingerling.'

Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:01

From Brookville, PA
wow Chaz you have no sense of humor do you?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:03

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
The wild or stocked thing is a very tired subject line. Typically based on a bad photo and every Tom, Dock & Harry will chime in with there "expertise" on fish identification.

Exactly!

Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com