Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Wild Trout Stream Survey

Quote:
So what makes you think that the anglers who were seen creeling trout creeled them on average over the course of the creel survey at a rate that exceeded the 7% rate that you just reported?

Mike

What I'm saying is that there are more anglers out there creeling trout. I dont know the percentage because they may not have participated in the creel survey. The anglers noted that 5 trout were creeled on the cards by the "other anglers".

I think it would be foolish and under conservative to suggest that the rates were lower. In my profession we use groundwater contaminant models and project them to be over conservative for the protection of human health. Based on the Wild Trout Survey, it appears under conservative in a variety of ways. That is just how I interpreted the information that was presented in the report.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 17:52

Quote:
One of the sites in NE Pa. was immediately above a substantial waterfall, high enough that no trout was going to go up even in high water. Even at that sampling site the number of legal size trout was greater in the summer. I can't explain it, but that was the case

What kind of stream did this Stream with the water fall flow into?? And could have fished came up from lower reaches of this stream or even a river/stream this creek flowed into?? Maybe that explains the increase in #s? Just a thought.

Mike is that possible in this case?

Posted on: 2007/4/8 17:57

From Dallastown, PA
Maybe Mike could provide the breakdown of spring +legal size and sub-legal (within an inch). that may be the crux, In the three months between, some fish may have grown to above the legal size because this is when they put on size. (length and weight). With the right fertility, trout can grow fast. But we don't know these details, maybe Mike does.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/4/8 19:55

From Ohio
Using regs to alter the size of the fish is another matter all together.....

What about a slot limit? Would that work...maybe not on brookie streams but maybe with browns and rainbows?

If we want to alter regulations to give us the type of fishery that we want - large, wild fish in a C and R FFO environment, thats fine. But lets be honest and say its self-derving......

I'm out of here, going to the smokies for a week of fly fishing.....look forward to everyone's conclusions when I get back.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 22:20

Maurice, Jack, and LR,

Growth may have played some role, but as I recall it could not have explained much of the results. I expected that upstream movement into the sites was a likely source of the additional legal fish plus some growth, but the upstream movement theory took a major hit when the waterfall case appeared.

LR, what I was trying to say about that was that the sampling site being used was above the waterfall, so any fish moving upstream toward the sampling site could not have gotten to the sampling site because of the blockage.

Lastly, Jack is correct that there are a few prime months for growth of wild trout on some streams. A recent paper on some Appalachian streams concluded that brook trout in the study waters grew for only two months out of the year (during the spring) corresponding with an exceptionally high availability of terrestrial insects (a particular terrestrial insect group, in fact). During summer and fall food availability was limited to the extent that all energy derived from the available food went into fish body maintenance and none went into growth. This helps explain what we have seen in some mining affected streams where there is a pausity of aquatic macroinvertebrates yet the brookies are robust and growing well. In our limited gut analyses in the summer and in a student's gut analysis of the fish in the fall terrestrials were a large part of their diets. The volume of terrestrials that are available for brook trout is probably at least in part determined by the species of vegetation that surround the streams.

Posted on: 2007/4/9 0:05

From Harrisburg
Quote:

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
Using regs to alter the size of the fish is another matter all together.....

What about a slot limit? Would that work...maybe not on brookie streams but maybe with browns and rainbows?

If we want to alter regulations to give us the type of fishery that we want - large, wild fish in a C and R FFO environment, thats fine. But lets be honest and say its self-derving......

I'm out of here, going to the smokies for a week of fly fishing.....look forward to everyone's conclusions when I get back.

Dear OhioOutdoorsman,

I hereby take back all the bad things I have ever said about Ohio.

Seriously though, you have thought this out and I agree with everything that you have posted in this thread.

All the special regulations in the world won't make what ain't there to begin with, it really is that simple.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/9 1:10

Quote:

Mike wrote:
A recent paper on some Appalachian streams concluded that brook trout in the study waters grew for only two months out of the year (during the spring) corresponding with an exceptionally high availability of terrestrial insects (a particular terrestrial insect group, in fact).

The heck with all the number crunching and conspiracy theories; what "particular terrestrial insect species group" fly should I be hurriedly tying up at the bench?

Posted on: 2007/4/10 7:33

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Bamboozle wrote:

The heck with all the number crunching and conspiracy theories; what "particular terrestrial insect species group" fly should I be hurriedly tying up at the bench?

I was thinking the same thing-- what is this a lasagna recipe or something?

Posted on: 2007/4/10 8:58

Quote:

Bamboozle wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
A recent paper on some Appalachian streams concluded that brook trout in the study waters grew for only two months out of the year (during the spring) corresponding with an exceptionally high availability of terrestrial insects (a particular terrestrial insect group, in fact).

I don't understand the part about the conspiracy theories. I didn't see any in the entire thread. But yes I would also be interested in knowing what "particular insect group" we're talking about.

I'm guessing the insect is the green inchworm.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 12:03

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com