Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Why some people should not fish during the fall

Quote:

k-bob wrote:
good to raise the subject as a timely reminder here. guess the spawn will be over soon now? I only fish remote NE places, have seen some fish on redds reds? recently.

The brookie spawn in northern PA will probably be over soon.

The brown trout spawn, though, will continue for quite a long while yet. The rest of the way through November for sure, and I have seen trout spawning well into December on Spring Creek.

The brook trout spawn mostly in the month of October. (With some trailing off into early Nov.)

The brown trout spawn mostly in the month of November. (But start in late Oct. and continue into Dec.)

My observations have been mostly in central and northcentral PA. I've heard that the timing can be a little later in the southern parts of the state, which is not surprising because the temperatures would be a little warmer further south and at lower elevation.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 8:32

From Johnstown, PA
By all means , just say something you don't have to come accross heavy just treat it as if it's blissfull ignorance and then if it gets escalated i8t is by the other involved and then it's YOUR turn.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 8:39

From Philadelphia
Not sure about whether it is over or not on this stream but this stream had a ton of redds and nothing on them with some even starting to cover over. I also walked a Chester County stream this weekend and again saw tons of redds with nothing on them. Do they often leave their redds and come back to them to sapwn later?

Posted on: 2013/11/12 8:39

From Johnstown, PA
HEY that fox has my brookie!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/11/12 8:42

From Johnstown, PA
I see spawning brookies alot in deer season up here inthe Laurel Highlands , also alot of redds with no trout on em.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 8:57

From chester ct
fox - those redds in your photo had big brownies (not the monsters from the big river I have seen) - maybe 18", as of a few days ago. They scattered for deep water when I came up and I think they stayed there till things settled down. I don't know how much they hang around the redds. Bass and gills hang to fend off egg eating pests. This time of the year I would guess only crayfish might have to be fended off, and maybe the trouts can babysit - that is, eggsit - from a distance? Trouts aren't like nesting hens - they don't need to sit on the redd to provide body heat.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:18

From South Central,PA
While I think this topic is very important I don't totally agree with taking this person's picture and posting it on an internet forum, especially when pointing out his wrong doing. If I were a newbie (which I am compared to some who have fished many many years), I would not be happy to find my picture here under this topic. Think about what we go to the stream for... Solitude, a break from the day to day grind, the enjoyment of fishing, goals and challenges we seek to overcome etc...the last thing anyone wants is to be paparazzied on the creek! I'm hoping that this guy took the advice and went to research redds and trout spawning a little bit further. He might end up on the internet and find useful information and/or he might end up right here and find that he's been photographed and made an example of. It's a bit harsh in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:19

From Johnstown, PA
It is unlawful to post that picture without consent unles you are a public figure i.e. politician , actor , etc. Ask Jack...........?

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:36

From Philadelphia
Quote:

bigslackwater wrote:
While I think this topic is very important I don't totally agree with taking this person's picture and posting it on an internet forum, especially when pointing out his wrong doing. It's a bit harsh in my opinion.

I can't say that I totally disagree with you. I struggled with putting the picture on here but felt it was important to make the point. It is also from behind and probably not going to be identified by anyone other than himself.

As at least two people have PM'd me, I guess this now makes me forever known as PAFF's "Redd" Fox. Oh well it could be worse.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:40

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
It is unlawful to post that picture without consent unles you are a public figure i.e. politician , actor , etc. Ask Jack...........?

uhmmm, no. Fox is actually quite fine to post that pic, technically. If you're out in public, you really have no say in whether or not someone can take you picture and do what they want with the image. Otherwise you'd need total consent for any photo taken in any public space that contains anybody in the image...not at all practical when shooting cityscapes, sporting events, concerts, tourist attractions, etc. So, he's fine to post this pic, even if it is in bad form to think that publicly shaming this guy is an ok thing to do...

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:44

From Johnstown, PA
I'm not so sure that's right after implicating him in the story , just a tecnicality.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 9:47

From down the block from the Letort.
Google is your friend....from photorights.org:

Quote:
Is it legal to take photos of people without asking?

In public places where there is no right to privacy, yes you can. The same applies in private places where you have the permission of the landowner or the landowner has stated no restrictions on photography. However photographing someone without asking their permission can cause a lot of trouble if not handled sensitively. If someone does not want to be photographed it is best to respect their wishes unless there is an overriding reason not to. Most people in most circumstances respond well to friendly explanation, especially if you show them the photo. Nevertheless some will object that you have violated their rights in some interesting way, and it's best to have the explanations ready.

Click thru the link for furthur explanations...

Posted on: 2013/11/12 10:05

From Philadelphia
Well, I won't make this mistake again. I guess I now see there is a fine line (based on people's perception) about using a person as an example versus making an example out of said person. Legal or illegal, bad form or not, I will not be posting pictures as examples in the future.

The message I still want to convey and think is extremely important is to PLEASE learn to identify redds and avoid them.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 10:13

From SE PA - Montgomery County
How are you so sure what that angler was standing in was even a redd? It appears to me that is simply a cleared area from where he was shuffling his feet. If he didn't move for several hours than that is a bonus. He didn't disturb any other areas . . .

Yes, it is not good to wade this time of year, but it can be done if you watch where you are treading. You are obviously not too concerned or you would not even be out fishing for spawning fish, so there seems to be little concern on your part about disturbing them either. Just leave them alone for a month or so and go get some steelhead.

Not trying to be argumentative here. Just stating my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 12:36

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Should the F&BC close class A streams (or Nat. Repro) to fishing during their respective spawning seasons? I would be in favor of that regulation change.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 12:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com