Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Why some people should not fish during the fall

From Couldn't Care Less
Thanks much troutbert and lol at the thought of ole Stagger looking around the gravel for the color red(d). Do the trout hang arnd the redd after she lays her eggs to protect or is it lay and go?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:00

I'll go you one further. Why is anyone fishing in November? Isn't April, may, June, July, August, September and October enough? Hit the surf.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:35

From LV
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Not sure about whether it is over or not on this stream but this stream had a ton of redds and nothing on them with some even starting to cover over. I also walked a Chester County stream this weekend and again saw tons of redds with nothing on them. Do they often leave their redds and come back to them to sapwn later?

The redd will be turned over 1 day and perhaps the spawning will occur as soon as the female cuts the redd. Several males may even spawn with the female, trout don't mate for life, once the eggs are fertilized then female covers the eggs up with the gravel moved during the redd making activity and the 2 trout go on their merry way.
Sometimes the male will hang out over the redd fora short period of time after spawning, but not always. Within a week the gravel has new algae on it and they become hard to see. but a careful eye will be able to pick them out.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 22:25

From LV
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
Quote:
It is unlawful to post that picture without consent unles you are a public figure i.e. politician , actor , etc. Ask Jack...........?

uhmmm, no. Fox is actually quite fine to post that pic, technically. If you're out in public, you really have no say in whether or not someone can take you picture and do what they want with the image. Otherwise you'd need total consent for any photo taken in any public space that contains anybody in the image...not at all practical when shooting cityscapes, sporting events, concerts, tourist attractions, etc. So, he's fine to post this pic, even if it is in bad form to think that publicly shaming this guy is an ok thing to do...

the rules of the road used to require you to sign a consent to have your image used in print media, which now would inculde the internet. That's why you see peoples faces blurred all the time on TV. But the internet apparently doesn't work that way.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 22:35

From down the block from the Letort.
so, you're saying that when there's a picture in the paper of a local football game, Halloween Parade, Art's Fest, etc, that allllll of those folks signed a form of consent to allow that image to be published??....sorry, you're wrong about that. Click the link I provided and educate yourself, you know, like it was suggested for the fella in the picture to do. It is a courtesy to sometimes ask if I as the photographer think the subject may be uncomfortable, but there's nothing that says I have to, and nothing to prevent me from using that image.

And live TV isn't print media, so there probably are different rules for that.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 7:49

From Stevens,Pa.
So it's the fall Browns and Char are spawning. Why don't we have the same uproar in the spring when the fair weather fisherman have had enough of winter and stomp all over the beloved Bows redds?

Posted on: 2013/11/14 8:06

From down the block from the Letort.
Because in the spring nobody is looking at a long dark cold winter of being cooped up inside, so cabin fever isn't an issue and as such there's less tendency for soap box climbing...

Posted on: 2013/11/14 8:32

Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Thanks much troutbert and lol at the thought of ole Stagger looking around the gravel for the color red(d). Do the trout hang arnd the redd after she lays her eggs to protect or is it lay and go?

I don't think trout protect their eggs once laid. But maybe someone else has more info on that.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 10:16

From SEPA
Quote:

brookieaddict wrote:
So it's the fall Browns and Char are spawning. Why don't we have the same uproar in the spring when the fair weather fisherman have had enough of winter and stomp all over the beloved Bows redds?

Because those filthy things have to be stomped out of existance for God's blessed brook troot, obviously.

/chaz

Posted on: 2013/11/14 10:23

From Johnstown, PA
Easy there G.........heh..........i own a little land with a native brookie stream through it , i put the posters up and someone from FOLMONT tears them down , in answer to someones question about when it's safe to start fishing again? From watching over years it's when the fry move to the edges of the stream.......now they are on the way!

Posted on: 2013/11/14 10:31

From York County
Salmonoid wrote

"They take them because they can. When I was a "Ute", I collected road signs, signs warning to not collect or take the rocks (but they didn't warn to not take the sign that said to not collect or take the rocks), etc. Of course, now being a bit older and maybe a bit wiser, I use a little bit more discretion. The only signs I will harvest now are those that are down. The very first thought I had when I saw the spawning trout sign is that it was a sign that someone would steal.."

When I was a kid me and my buddy's were out drivin around in a snowstorm up in Northern PA where I lived with a case of natty ice. We came to an intersection where a new stop sign had been erected. The old one was still in place adjacent to the new one. We had a discussion about taking the old sign. Something about the legallity of taking a sign that has been knocked over or laying down. After some debate I drove around the block and came back around. I hit the gas and went up over the snow bank hitting the sign and sending it up over my truck. We jumped out and threw it in the back and drove off. Lots of laughs.

This is a totally hypothetical scenario of course lol.

I skipped out on the nativity scene ordeal. Messing with baby Jesus is crossing the line.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 17:11

From Christiana, Delaware
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Once the female lays the eggs and the male fertilizes the eggs the female covers the eggs with the sand and small stone and swims away and leaves the redd. The male stays around a little while longer, maybe a week. Then depending on the water temperature it takes 2 to 3 months for the eggs to hatch in a wild stream. Hatching in February ~ March timeframe. The eggs stay put during this time unless the current wash them away or they get picked at by other fish and insects.
About 500~800 eggs are laid on avg. All things considered survival rate is about 5%.

So it's just important in my opinion to recognize the redd and stay off it all winter also so you don't disturb the eggs. But the fish are done their thing around the end of November or so and you can fish away once they're off the redd.

Of course there is a lot more to what I'm stating here and a lot of other factors involved but this is the short story.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 19:54

From Couldn't Care Less
Good stuff Duck ... text received thnx

Posted on: 2013/11/14 22:20

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com