Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Why some people should not fish during the fall

+1 to the informative public service potential of the post...

I know at least one person who learned about redds, where and when to expect them, from reading this board last year.

To expand on that point...

What's a good estimate for when it becomes safe to wade again?
(when you can see trout fry + a few weeks to let stragglers hatch? )

Do the eggs and fry typically stay in the redd where laid, or get moved around by shifting substrates? I guess it depends on storm / flood events.

I think i read that a typical hatching time would be 40-50 days at or just below 50F.

Maybe someone can make a simple statement like:
"the safest thing to do is to stay out of the water, or if you must, wade only in rocky sections, until at least the end of January"

Posted on: 2013/11/12 12:55

From Camp Hill, PA
Simply make signs like this one...and stake it threw their foot.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4497_R.jpg (234.36 KB)
7920_528275488a1fd.jpg 342X504 px

Posted on: 2013/11/12 13:37

OK, there we go.

Posted on: 2013/11/12 22:21

From Stevens,Pa.
Great reply Foxgap239 , I may have seemed a little harsh but our resources are dwindling everyday. We have to police our own,if we see something that will adversely effect our sport we have a right to educate said person,newbie or old stick. It's up to us to make sure what we have now our grandchildren will have for there children,and if it means hurting someones feelings,so be it.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 5:21

From Ferguson Twp.
I like that sign, it would be a great reminder and for those that don't know it would prompt them to ask.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 6:26

From Johnstown, PA
I've been posting "Fishing Permitted" signs on my property for 12 years or more n they allways dissapear , maybe they would leave those alone......where can i get some? I am a lifetimemember of T>U> who do i write to?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 6:44

From Other side of the tracks
Santa Claus?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 9:05

From Philadelphia
Quote:

osprey wrote:
I've been posting "Fishing Permitted" signs on my property for 12 years or more n they allways dissapear , maybe they would leave those alone......where can i get some? I am a lifetimemember of T>U> who do i write to?

Now I really don't get that. Why would people take "Fishing Permitted" signs? Do you think they are taking them to post them elsewhere where fishing isn't permitted?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 9:40

Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

osprey wrote:

Now I really don't get that. Why would people take "Fishing Permitted" signs? Do you think they are taking them to post them elsewhere where fishing isn't permitted?

It could be one of his neighbors who doesn't like the public invitation. Osprey, maybe you should ask the people who own the farm.

But in any case, I hate signs. They just muck up the view.

Attach file:

jpg  sign has sharp edges.jpg (32.91 KB)
348_52839957c7fa9.jpg 315X304 px

Posted on: 2013/11/13 10:23

From South Central,PA
Signs Signs everywhere signs!

Posted on: 2013/11/13 10:25

Why did I know that was coming?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 10:29

From Lancaster County
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

osprey wrote:

They take them because they can. When I was a "Ute", I collected road signs, signs warning to not collect or take the rocks (but they didn't warn to not take the sign that said to not collect or take the rocks), etc. Of course, now being a bit older and maybe a bit wiser, I use a little bit more discretion. The only signs I will harvest now are those that are down. The very first thought I had when I saw the spawning trout sign is that it was a sign that someone would steal..

Posted on: 2013/11/13 14:10

From Couldn't Care Less
So last year I stopped fishing from abt oct 15th – dec 15th and this year haven’t been out since October. I’m looking at this picture (and not questioning anything) and see nothing red in the h2o tho it is far and not great quality ...… w/out having to start a new thread in the beginner forum what exactly should/would I be looking for?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 14:31

From LV
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
Learn from what??? All I see is a guy standing in a stream with a fishin' pole. Maybe you could've taken those 5-15 minutes it took you to make this post and courteously educated him....instead of just shrugging and heading downstream with the hope that he goes home to 'Google it'...

You can see the redd very plainly in the pic if you enlarge it, but if it were me I'd have shown the redd to him. You guy deserved a dunking and he shouldn't be fishing in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 16:54

Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

I’m looking at this picture (and not questioning anything) and see nothing red in the h2o tho it is far and not great quality ...… w/out having to start a new thread in the beginner forum what exactly should/would I be looking for?

A redd is just a place where the trout lays its eggs in the gravel. It has nothing at all to do with the color red, so you don't look for that.

What you look for is bright patches of gravel that have been turned over to form a hollow to lay the eggs in.

The bright colored gravel will show up against the general background color of the rocks on the streambed, which is often olive-brown from the algae etc. that coat the rocks.

You will often see the trout on the redds, especially late in the day, when the sun is heading for the horizon.

If you Google "trout redds" and click Images, you can find some photos.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:46

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com