Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Why is PA still stocking trout?

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Smike,
Put and Take was never designed to increase license sales. It was and continues to be a fisheries management technique designed to provide an attractive, seasonal, high use, recreational fishery. Where it did and if it did increase license sales, it was a side benefit. I have never heard anyone in the PFBC state that this water will be stocked in order to increase license sales.

OK, I'll play along on that one. I agree it isn't designed to increase license sales, it's to slow the decline in license sales.

What do I win?

Posted on: 10/31 14:00

From lancaster county
Originally it was to supplement the gap in what brook trout reproduction couldn't provide anymore since it's harsh decline in an ever growing populous.

Now somestocking takes place in good places and gives kids places to fish trout. Other times it keeps water open. Sometimes it's over good trout populations, with guys in hippers holding eight o'clock cans full of worms screaming something about a kid's derby.

Sometimes it's on the Letort. You gotta learn to roll with it but yes some places are still stocked and should not be.

Off topic but on first day why do guys in waders sit in lawn chairs?
its like the dude at big spring in the ffo area that has 1000 dollar waders but never gets in

Posted on: 10/31 14:45

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

Sometimes it's on the Letort. You gotta learn to roll with it but yes some places are still stocked and should not be.

I don't agree that we should "roll with it."

The people want hatchery trout stocked in native brook trout streams don't "roll with it."

They participate in the participatory democracy by advocating what they want to the PFBC, the Commissioners and their legislators.

People who think that hatchery trout stocking should be moved away from wild trout streams and particularly native brook trout towards non-wild trout waters have just as much of a right to express their opinions.

Posted on: 10/31 18:44

From Mechanicsburg
Well said troutbert.

Posted on: 10/31 21:44

From Mechanicsburg
Especially when you consider infecting wild fish with gill lice or other pathogens.

There should be actual regulations in regard to stocking. Just bc someone wants to pay out of pocket and pollute it with fish that have pectoral thumbs doesn't mean it should be allowed.

Posted on: 10/31 21:47

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

I don't agree that we should "roll with it."

The people want hatchery trout stocked in native brook trout streams don't "roll with it."

They participate in the participatory democracy by advocating what they want to the PFBC, the Commissioners and their legislators.

People who think that hatchery trout stocking should be moved away from wild trout streams and particularly native brook trout towards non-wild trout waters have just as much of a right to express their opinions.

Agreed, well said ^

The PFBC should make a hard and fast policy of no stocking Class A trout streams by the commission or co-ops / clubs, without exception. Class B's should also be considered for stocking cessation based on their potential for becoming a Class A stream.

Further there should be no stocking in streams that hold a Class D or better population of brook trout. The remaining wild brook trout streams should never be stocked.

With all that said, the trout stocking program is very popular and anglers "vote" for stocking by buying a license. Trout stocking should be continued at least the present rate, if financially sustainable, in streams with little or no trout reproduction.

Posted on: 11/1 7:22

From lancaster county
Certainly not at all what I'm suggesting.

In fact I'm sitting on a gold mine of a brookie watershed because they havbt ruined it with stocking.

What Iam saying is, it's not going away anytime soon, so unless you want to rip your hair out, you are going to have to roll with it.
By all means advocate but I wouldn't let it ruin my week either

Posted on: 11/1 7:56

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com