Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Who do you think is in the wrong?

Quote:
Fish cop says come on over he explains what was his story, and the fish cop says "your fishing with an invalid license!" well after threatening to take him to jail and to take his vehicle and gear

if someone can get in that much trouble over their residence paperwork, what's the penalty for poaching?

I understand how the law is spelled out. I also believe in a legal equivalence to triage. An offense like that isn't nearly as damaging to the fishery as poaching or exotic species introductions.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 23:12

Sounds to me that the WCO was a total tool, on a power trip, with a gun and a badge, just like all the guys who carry guns and badges are.

You learned a valuable lesson today and that is that guys with guns and badges are tools, remember it, its a valuable life lesson to learn

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:03

And all the guys in this thread who are telling you that you are wrong, you aren't. It all depends on what your definition of right and wrong is, mine has nothing to do with whats written in a law, it has to do with how you treat other people. Laws do not equal right and wrong, never have and never will, anyone who tells you otherwise is thinking inside the box.

Your friend made an honest mistake (if everything you posted is true) and the WCO didnt treat him fairly or justly, sounds to me like he did everything he could to be as difficult as possible. Therefore the WCO is wrong and quite frankly sounds like his first name should be Richard because then you could call him Dick

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:12

From Lansdale
Lesson learned : PRICELESS.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:11

From Lansdale
Timmyt: Are you an anarchist? We need laws. Not everyone's intentions are good.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:21

From Central, PA
Brad it's saying I was surprised they got out of a vehicle to do anything. They like to walk 2 feet off the road they don't hike in miles into the stream. Im sure Most of them need the exercise they should go for walks more. The out of state plate is nothing new here 4 out of 10 are out of state.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:04

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

Hook_Jaw wrote:
Brad it's saying I was surprised they got out of a vehicle to do anything. They like to walk 2 feet off the road they don't hike in miles into the stream. Im sure Most of them need the exercise they should go for walks more. The out of state plate is nothing new here 4 out of 10 are out of state.

Actually most offenders are close to the road as are most fisherman.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:38

From Central, PA
Why would most offenders do it right off the road where there are alot of anglers? Im curious Brad you seem to know all about this as well as everything else about about fishing more then me tell some me some situations you have seen breaking the law on the stream.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:49

Quote:

timmyt wrote:
And all the guys in this thread who are telling you that you are wrong, you aren't. It all depends on what your definition of right and wrong is, mine has nothing to do with whats written in a law, it has to do with how you treat other people. Laws do not equal right and wrong, never have and never will, anyone who tells you otherwise is thinking inside the box.

Your friend made an honest mistake (if everything you posted is true) and the WCO didnt treat him fairly or justly, sounds to me like he did everything he could to be as difficult as possible. Therefore the WCO is wrong and quite frankly sounds like his first name should be Richard because then you could call him Dick

This countries prison system is full of people with the same ideas.

Tony

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:59

From West Chester
Starvin, While your friend was probably in violation of the law, I can sympathize with being upset over the way you were treated. Assuming everything was civil i think it was totally uneccessary for him to threaten your friend with taking his vehicle and equipment. I know WCO's have a hard job and sometimes work with difficult people, but that's no excuse for being a jerk and certainly no license to threaten people. I've lost a lot of respect for law enforcement and our justice system due to similiar conduct.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:10

Quote:

timmyt wrote:
Sounds to me that the WCO was a total tool, on a power trip, with a gun and a badge, just like all the guys who carry guns and badges are.

You learned a valuable lesson today and that is that guys with guns and badges are tools, remember it, its a valuable life lesson to learn

I have met and also personally know alot of people in law enforcement. They are not "tools", they are honest hard working people who have a tough job to do. A better life lesson would be to follow the law and the "guys who carry guns and badges" will treat you very well.

Tony

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:13

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

Hook_Jaw wrote:
Why would most offenders do it right off the road where there are alot of anglers? Im curious Brad you seem to know all about this as well as everything else about about fishing more then me tell some me some situations you have seen breaking the law on the stream.

Where I fish I don't see anyone! But, a very good friend is a WCO downstate & that's where I get my info.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:16

Quote:

rrt wrote:
I agree with Jack. I think the WCO could have used some discretion in this instance. For instance, he could have insisted that Marvin's friend purchase a non-resident license without fining him. It is obvious this left a "bad taste," and I imagine it lowers both Marvin and his friend's respect for the PFBC. It sounds as though the WCO had "I have a gun and a badge" syndrome, even though he was technically correct. I think he represented the PFBC badly in this instance.

I agree. Their job is to enforce the law and make sure people pay for the correct license.

But they should use judgement, recognize the difference between good people who just made a mistake and the real bad guys, and behave reasonably, rather than in a rude, power-tripping way.

Regarding PFBC law enforcement people, I've come across very good ones, and at least 2 bad ones. And probably most are somewhere in between.

Regarding the WCOs going far from the road, or not. Most of the fishermen, including violators, are near the road. Even if violators walk back in, they can be checked when they return to their vehicles.

And some WCOs do walk back in. I was fishing a backcountry brookie stream in Cameron County and was surprised when a WCO walked up and checked my license and to see if I was following the harvest rules. He had seen my car, and walked up to check.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:36

From King Of Prussia, Pa
I don't think it's the role of a LEO to make judgements between good lawbreakers and bad lawbreakers. They are law enforcement. If you have a problem with the law or the punishments for breaking such laws, then take it up with the people who write laws.

IMO the correct outcome occured based on the known facts. The guy who was fishing without a valid license received a fine for fishing without a valid license. Case Closed. Shut up and pay the fine.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 10:46

JasonS, making those distinctions is actually a very real part of the job. There's often some amount of discretion up to the law enforcement officer on the scene- especially in cases like this. Not everyone gets a ticket after a stop for a traffic violation, for instance.

For that matter, criminal arrests are typically subject to prosecutorial discretion. The officer only makes the initial arrest, they don't bring the case to court. That's up to the DA.

And after that, it's up to the judge at the arraignment whether to continue with the case, or, as they say, throw it out of court.

That said, it's undeniably within the scope of a WCO's duty to cite anyone who's committed an offense.

The guy just sounds like a rookie to me. Someone who has yet to catch someone who's really wrong, like a poacher.

I don't think "all the guys with badges and guns" are "on a power trip." I've seen some remarkable demonstrations of courtesy, patience and diplomacy by police officers, who sometimes have to "negotiate" one or more disputes of some sort or another on every work shift. They've helped me out of a few jams in my time. And I have some idea of what they often confront.

But rookies are rookies. And probably the worst encounter I've ever had with a law enforcement officer was a few years ago in California, with, yes, a young kid rookie Fish&Game cop. (He wanted to bring dogs to sniff the outside of my car after I refused to allow him to search it, having failed to trick me into unlocking and opening the door by inviting me to retrieve a jacket so I wouldn't have to stand out in the cold. After an hour with no dog showing up, he released me from my roadside detention. Was the kid on a power trip? Absolutely.)

Posted on: 2013/4/30 11:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com