Who Says Trout Don't Take Caddis Dry

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFFVK5Is574 look closely HMM video is lousy when uploaded to Utube do they have a premium service or how do I get the video to look like the original? Video is much more clear when I view it with Real Player, I would be glad to email it to anyone if someone could tell me how??

You can't get any better quality as far as I know. They are storing about 45 terabytes of data from what I am reading. There's no way they'll take better quality for now.

Either way, I'll have to watch it a little later. I've personally seen caddis adults get eaten by rather large trout. I've never really seen or heard that claim made before.

jayL wrote:
I've personally seen caddis adults get eaten by rather large trout. I've never really seen or heard that claim made before.

Yeah me too... Countless times actually.

granted I usually fish a tandem with a caddis dry and then a larvae or an emerger. I usually get more on the dropper but I still get hook ups on the dry. Enough to warrant the dry as really effective.

Note though that the rises are not the typical caddis splashy type rises! If you look closely you can see the caddis resting on the surface with wings folded. Note also the stream side foliage, it is typical for when the caddis finally get here, just around an inch of green leaf buds on the limbs.

The May and early June Caddis fly hatch is some of the best dryfly fishing on Western rivers such as the Madison and Yellowstone.The rivers come alive as soon as the sun is off the waters and stay alive until dark at 10pm[true].
the Wannabes have a blast catching your basic 12 to 15 inch dryfly type fish.
The almosts have even more fun sniping the 3 and 4 pounders that are ambushing the surface feeders.
The arrived have the best of both worlds by using unweighted marabou muddlers to anchor the tippet and one or two elk hair caddis on droppers which they bounce and dap on the surface like egg laying caddis.
Probably work anywhere.Worth a try -use a long rod or fish from bank.Probably won't catch too many on the streamer but you can have fun as some good size fish go after the bouncing bettys.
I loved that fishing but wouldn't get home to 11 or 12 and had to be at work by 5.Age took its toll.
Penns Creek would be a good one.

It looks just like the hatches I fish all summer on the tully.

Sometimes, though the bugs are actually fallen spent and dying. Keep an eye out for it. It could be the case here.

Never heard anyone say they don't take Caddis adults...ever...in fact I count on it...Its like trout candy!

I've caught plenty of trout on caddis dries - even on Penns, where I've heard that they rarely take them on top

Trout always take caddis when they are available, whoever said they don't better start over.

Nah: Those big trout are way too boring for me, give me a butt kicking 14 17 inch fish anyday.

You guys are missing the point those rises look like Sulphur spinner fall rises, the fish are just tipping and sipping, definately not the typical caddis rise, where you get splashed if you are too close, hey these LJ trout are picky, they have tons of Grannom caddis to gobble, you can raise fish here on drys after the trout are accustomed to the Grannom, but mostly in thin water, they are not going to come to the top during a good Grannom hatch, why should they risk rising to a dancing adult when the pupa are easy pickings., fish aren't stupid

Back