Whither stinkbugs?

L

lestrout

Several years ago, I began seeing these antedeluvian beasts. They were prevalent around the Tulpy, and a couple of my friends had their houses elsewhere infested by this bug, which I personally didn't find that stinky. They figured the critters hitched a ride to their houses after they parked at hotbeds like the Reebers Bridge lot. Of course I thought of Japanese beetles, which trouts appear to relish, but was befuddled by how to imitate the stinkers without resorting to foams.

Every year these guys seemed to increase, and I was interested to learn that an etymological lab in Delaware had pinpointed the natural predator in Thailand, a tiny egg laying wasp, was going through the due diligence to decide if introducing yet another exotic species to our shores was a good idea. Fighting fire with fire, or is the cure worse than the disease?

Anyhow, this year I have seen very few. I read that another exotic species, the pesty starling, was one of the few birds who seemed to eat them. I don't think the wasps have yet been introduced into the environment. So I'm wondering what happened. Maybe the stuffs that knocks off bees and bats also affect the stinkies?

I've still seen a few. But yeah, not as many as there were a few summers ago. Careful, though, fall is when they start coming in houses in greater numbers. September and October as the nights cool, and air conditioners inside go off, so the inside becomes the warmer place.

The stories of hitching rides is probably not true. They aren't aquatic. They are around the houses to begin with. In addition to Rebers Bridge.

Anyway, as for causes of decline, we just had 2 colder than typical winters, with a week or two of extremely cold temps each winter. That can have an effect. They say it does on ticks, for instance.

And for most invasives, an initial population boom followed by decline is typical, before it settles into a steady nuisance, but not of biblical proportions. Gypsy moths are a good example.

That's been studied and yes, most say it's predation. The population takes off. THEN predators adjust. There's debate on whether it takes predator populations a while to realize their edible, or if they always ate them, but it takes a while for them to develop more effective hunting strategies for them. Or, in some cases, predator populations actually increase.

Yo Pat

To clarify the "hitching rides" factor - I meant that the stinkers hitched their rides by hiding in my buddies' cars. I assumed that these kind of bugs are like many beetles, and are terrestials.

Good information there on predator behavior. Mother Nature sure is complicated, but you explain her well.

hp
les

I also think that the cold winters the last 2 years likely had an effect on them.
On a similar note - the squash bugs that were decimating my zucchini plants in the garden after milder winters, haven't been a problem for me the last two seasons either

Good info, Pat.

I also think the two cold winters in a row had a lot to do with it.

Stink bugs have only been around here for a couple years, and we are also seeing a decline (IMO). Normally one would expect an increase (your fourth paragraph).

I've also noticed an increase in the numbers of potential predators this year. Seeing lots of toads and small snakes (garter and brown). Also a whole lot of English sparrows. No idea if they would be eating them. Was planning on trapping and shooting a bunch of those for several reasons, but maybe I should rethink that.

Haven't noticed an increase in Starlings, but probably because we always have a lot of them. They eat a lot of grubs which helps control the Japanese beetles. They are a pain in the arse, but those Japanese beetles are a bigger pain. Not seeing as many J beetles this year, either. Not even close.

My prediction for this winter is warmer than average. Dryer too in our area except in snow belt regions. There it could end up wetter because the lake will not freeze as quickly or as much.

OK, I cheated for the prediction.

on the farm we moved to this summer the j beetles were thick all over the soy crops. hardly a stink bug though

You moved to a farm? Are you nuts? ;-) :lol:

Good for you! (I hope).

Corn here this year. Drought has caused some problems around here, but mine is doing better than most I guess. Mine as in my fields, it's not my corn.

To clarify the "hitching rides" factor - I meant that the stinkers hitched their rides by hiding in my buddies' cars. I assumed that these kind of bugs are like many beetles, and are terrestials.

Understood. But everyone finds some in their houses, not just those who visit "hotbeds". They get in like any other pest. Gaps in foundations, air conditioner vents, attic vents, etc. Car not required.

FD, the winter is hard to predict. It always is, but this year is no exception. Yes, it's an El Nino year, and typically that pulls the jet stream south in the west, while pushing it north in the east, leading to warmer temps around here. However, there's that pesky warm pool off the Pacific Northwest, which is independent from El Nino. It does the opposite. It's what happened the last 2 years and it's still in place now. How do those interact? Who knows.

And, over this way closer to the coast, the amount of precip is largely governed by the NAO, not the ENSO. It's about NorEasters. We're not good at all about predicting NAO more than a few weeks in advance.

The past few years they were all over the place, along with the Asian Lady bugs. I have seen essentially NEITHER this year. Maybe whatever got rid of them kept the grouse population down, as I have found very few of them, as in nearly none.

Syl

Back