Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Which month?

From Chester County
September.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 16:33

From Lancaster
May, for the opportunity to catch fish and generally for decent stream flow conditions. However, for the best overall experience when it comes to the pure beauty of the environment and the fish that we pursue under low fishing pressure conditions has probably placed October ahead of the month of May for me personally.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 17:24

From South Fayette Twp.
I like May the best although lately it seems to be too warm on average and stream levels are lower than normal.
Going to try Harman's in April (for the first time) so I hope it's a good month.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 18:18

From LV
May because it'sthe time of year for the best hatches, October because that's the month I've caught the most trout.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 19:01

From Northern VA
May, on the brookie streams I fish in SE PA May usually has water levels and temps that cause fish to spread out. The rest of the year (except spawning time) the brookies mostly hold only in the biggest pools and you can't catch as many.

I like March and June for browns, but June has perfect weather!

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:03

From Clinton County, Pa.
May

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:08

From Couldn't Care Less
In my short FF addiction Oct was my favorite. Bias to the fall and love the colors .. just very peaceful.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:35

From Pittsburgh
Until rather recently, I would have said may. But as I get older, I really appreciate fishing in april now. You have nice big flies - quill gordons, hendrickson, and grannoms - that hatch in the middle of the day. And even get spinner falls with a few hours of daylight left.
No waiting around until dark for the fish to start rising good.
And all this right after the long cold winter is over, and I haven't fished for 3-4 months
Hard to beat it IMO.

Also really enjoy fishing BWO's in march - again daytime hatches

Posted on: 2013/2/24 22:48

May here in PA as the weather is great, fish are active and willing to take flies in multiple presentations. And the water is still cool, making more streams and spots available to fish compared to June. In Wyoming, on the North Platte, definitely August. I am lucky enough to go for a week every year to twelve miles of private water on the North Platte and its tribs. That is big fish country out there. Not uncommon to have one out of every ten fish twenty plus. The Articulated Streamer, Nymphing and Trico fishing is the best I have ever seen. Eighty plus fish days between two people is normal.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 0:59

From Butler, Pa
normal here too :)

Posted on: 2013/2/25 3:42

From Philadelphia PA
It's gotta be MAY....That's when we have the FLYFISHING JAMBOREE....Mornings and nights are cold and there's the smell of fresh flowers/leaves in the air.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 9:36
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ephrata, PA
October for sure.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 11:37

From SE PA - Montgomery County
January because everyone else is out fishing in May.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:14

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I gotta say June. It's a combination of how good the fishing is and other people.

All spring, everyone, including me, has been chasing hatches on big water. We're all doing the same thing. It's fun and all, but it gets a bit crazy. We live by the schedule of the bugs, we're all resting at the same times and fishing at the same times. If you miss an event, you feel guilty, like you did it "wrong." This big crescendo right up to the jam and the drakes.

Then comes June. Most fishermen either hang it up, or at least take a break, seeing it as a lull in the hatches before the tricos start. But if you like big fish and big water, the stoneflies are really getting underway and you can pound pocket water with big nymphs. Most of these streams aren't too warm or low just yet. In addition to stones, there's always some caddis flyin around, and you can skate around high floatin dries and get big time strikes. Smaller streams are just getting to their best, and those uber hatches you think are gone are really just PEAKING there. Go to a deep woods stream and you'll find plenty of sulphers, caddis, cahills, and perhaps drakes, with good water levels, good temperatures, and aggressive and opportunistic fish. Great fishing in the morning right through the heat of the day. The woods are still that deep, beautiful green. The weather is PERFECT for camping. And guess what? The bigger waters still have enough mayflies to keep things interesting. Cahills, the bigger BWO varieties, blue quills, etc., and the spinner falls can be every bit as impressive as sulphers in May.

Yes, June is my favorite fishing month.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:37

From Portage, PA
Late February Early March.

i love fishing in the winter. If there is no thawing going on you can have a banner of a day nymphing. The water levels are consitently up and there is far less competition. Any fish you catch is beatuiful.

I fish year round but this is my favorite time to be out.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com