Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Where out West?

I've been searching the internet for quite a while to find a place out west to fish. My "dream criteria" are as follows:

1. Trout water - rivers and streams
2. Perhaps dry fly fishing, but I understand that nymphs may be only option at some places.
3. Use of guide NOT required. This is the toughest criteria to get around. I've found many lodges but use of a guide is required at most. I'm hoping for a place that either has access to a trout river/stream or is close enough to public access on a trout river/stream.
4. Wadable water. Obviously if a boat is required then a guide is required.
5. Accomodations clean and some bells - decent meals and either has alcohol or is near a store (hey, I need to drown my sorrows after getting skunked). Cabin is OK where we provide for ourselves.

Montana, Colorado, Idaho - anywhere out west is OK. Looking at July.

Any helpful hints?

Steve P.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 12:40

Re: Where out West?

From SW PA
SteveP,

IMO, go to West Yellowstone and rent a cabin, many streams to choose from and I've been there four times and NEVER hired a guide. Also plenty of flyshops for info, spend a couple bucks and the advice comes easily.

Jason

Posted on: 2006/11/10 12:57

From Room 109
Utah is my pick. Provo and Green Rivers. Plus many others. Salt Lake is a great town. Use salt lake as a base and drive out to where ya need to be.

Also: Best skiing in the country hands down. Alta rocks !!!!! will be there soon. I am taking a rest day and fishing the provo river.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 14:34

From Chester County
West Yellowstone would be ideal. You would be within a reasonable drive to some great water…..the Madison, the Yellowstone, Firehole, Gallatin, Gardner to name just a few. The fly shops would steer you to the places with the best conditions. I usually hire a guide the first day on new water, and go it alone after that. I usually do as well without a guide. You can wade fish in most of the water in the area. Later in July would be better, during a snowy winter and a cool spring some rivers still run high from snow melt in early July. Also take some time to spend in the park - it's spectacular! Good Luck.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 14:43

I REALLY like the Basalt Colorado area near Aspen. You have the confluence of the Frying Pan and the Roaring Fork Rivers, two gold medal trout destinations, in a beautiful and historic ex-mining town with good restaurants and inns. It's not as rural, but the fishing is outstanding, the Frying Pan Anglers and Taylor Creek Fly shop folks are helpful, and the towns are really fun. 10 lb. rainbows below the Reudi dam!!

Posted on: 2006/11/10 17:16

From Mansfield, PA now, Bozeman next year
Middle Fork of the Salmon. Know a guy that would probably fly you in to camp there. Give you some tips then leave and come pick you back up. Not only is the dry fly fishing great for cutts, but you also have the chance of catching some huge bulls on streamers. If you're interested let me know. If you're into hikin in some great areas to fish a large river to small streams and hikin around by yourself you'd love it.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 17:26

From Hershey, PA
Check out this website: bighornriverflyfishers.com
It's on the Big Horn in Ft Smith MT. There is very little in Ft Smith, no alcohol so you must bring your own. This website has rooms and a restaurant right beside it. Not fancy but the fishing is great. My wife and I were there in Aug, floated and caught tons of fish and big fish. You do not have to float. You can drive to 3 mile access, park and walk about 3/4 mile upstream to great water. It is wadable. The guides are always around the restaurant and will give you advice as will Eric the owner. Also fished the North Platte in Walden, CO. Also wadable and lots of fish. Small town but has fly shop and they are very helpful. Inexpensive to stay and eat. 1 bar, the Cowboy bar. Fun place. Stayed in Walden 3 days. These were the 2 best. Also fished the Blue (not good, limited access), the Gunnison ( OK but better in June), the Big Thompson (OK but fished heavy), the upper Green above the damn (low water).
Need any more email me: flyfish1955@comcat.net

Posted on: 2006/11/10 17:40

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
stanley or lower stanley Idaho, great place to fish the upper salmon, not alot of people but lots of fish...good hatches too..I like fishing stone fly nymphs there...

Posted on: 2006/11/10 17:43

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Greensburg, PA
Stanley is a good suggestion...but you don't have to stay there...

Did you mention what time of year?

Anyway, stay in Sun Valley or Ketchum. You want great food and nightlife. Did I mention I once saw Jamie Lee Curtis in a solid gold mini-dress there once?

Short drive north to Stanley, including the Salmon, but (more inportantly) thousands of day-hikeable mountain lakes for lots of fish, all on dries.

Shorter drive south to Silver Creek. Huge trout huge hatches. Very cool place to frustrate the hell out of your self before yu finally catch humungus browns and rainbows.

Half way between Sun Valley and Silver creek is are the Big and Little Wood rivers. Ran into Adam West (Thats Batman for the younger guys) on the little Wood once.

On your drive back to Boise (not like you can fly directly into sunvalley from PA) hit the South fork of the Boise river. You won't find a better tailwater with better hatches anywhere.

The best part, is that as long as you dress for the weather, all these waters are fishable all year long...I've spent the weekend skiing and fished silver creek on the way home.

Good luck in your search...

Posted on: 2006/11/10 19:19

If you got the picture by now you can basically pick any state west of the great divide and have excellent fishing. I would put my 2 cents in and suggest CA, but you would be flying over everything else to get there. Just go out west and head up. Virtually every puddle above 5 or 6 thousand feet has trout.

I would give anything to fish for grayling again.

Since it will be your first time, stay close to a destination place. Yellow stone is a good suggestion but you will be faced with the crowds.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 22:06

Tom,
did you get a pic of her?????? I would love to be her toy, and she fly fishes too..

Posted on: 2006/11/11 8:16

From Greensburg, PA
actually, I shot about ten minutes of video (way more than I needed) as I was working in TV news at the time. But I never kept any. Its all in the KTVB news archive....

Posted on: 2006/11/11 9:45

Oh well.....

Posted on: 2006/11/11 11:22

From Gettysburg
Throw my vote in for West Yellowstone too. You might miss JLC but the scenery and fishing are spectacular. There's lots for the family if you're not going alone. It's a close drive to some world famous waters and some not so well known ones too. I think the "A water" on the Green may be my favorite western water, it is a bit further from a place to stay and is a bit more isolated - although this may be a plus. I've never used guides out West and have managed a good time. If you want to hit remote waters and get away from the crowds a guide would be invaluable but if you are fairly experienced fly fishing for trout in PA you can certainly handle the West. Good luck.

Posted on: 2006/11/11 13:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com