Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Where do you draw the line?

From Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't think it is a surprise at all. It's just frustrating.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:41

From Couldn't Care Less
This has happened to me before but I don't like being confrontational, especially when I am unsure abt the right etiquette.

What is the proper distance you should keep to the closest angler assuming he isn't a buddy ur fishing with?

Posted on: 2013/4/16 13:26

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

rrt wrote:
When I was involved in a similar situation this spring (though a number on here thought I overreacted), I told the guy, "I wouldn't do that to you," and I left.

Thought? I have no idea who that could have been.

I don't see that as an over reaction at all. If fact I commend you for your restraint. I'd likely have done the same thing, or walked away without saying anything.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 14:04

From Cambria County
I'm a glutton for punishment and went out on Saturday morning. It's been tradition with my friends and I for years. Same guys, same spot, same beer. This year was a little different though. Showed up at the usual spot at 5:30am and it was barricaded off where we always park. The landowner was there guarding his property because someone tore up his field last year on opening day. We bs'd with him for a few minutes and he told us we were good to park on his land. Get down to the stream a few hundred yards away from my truck and there's nobody in sight of us. Standing there having a few celebratory "our wife's let us out for a whole day" beers, and then it happens. One lone fisherman coming our way. There are four of us with our gear spread out every 40 feet or so and this guy decides to step over our gear and get in right in the middle of us. Not another fisherman within a quarter mile in either direction and he picks our spot. We expressed our displeasure with his choice a few different ways, but he didn't care. He tells us he's fished here for years and he's not going anywhere. At 8am, one of my buddies was literally rubbing elbows with him but he held his ground. We moved on and figured it wasn't worth the fight.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 14:21

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

NickR wrote:
I saw a T-Shirt the other day... I cant remember where but it read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE FISHING TOO CLOSE."
Love it!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/16 17:28

From lebanon, pa
i would rather fish water that i don't stand a chance in hell of actually catching anything, then see another person.

i'am patiently waiting for FFO sections on warm water creeks.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 19:09

From Dauphin PA
Didn't I draw a picture for this last year? Lol

Posted on: 2013/4/16 20:01

From Ferguson Twp.
The other side of this is some people just don't know where to fish in a stream or figure when they see people that's where the fish are and go where they see others fishing. They don't think about the fact they're crowding anyone.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 21:40

From Lancaster
Life is way too short. There are generally plenty of other options. I'm sure I would find myself relocating to another area (without any confrontation with the other angler). Heck, I might even wish them "good luck" as I am moving on. Sometimes actually moving to a different stretch of water turns out to be the best thing you could have done. We are blessed here in PA with many, many miles of water to fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 21:53

From Camp Hill, PA
Ha, similar thing happened to me two weeks ago at Spring Creek up near PSU. He fished all the way upstream, proceeding to hop in between several anglers and hit holes that were within 10 feet of people. Then, he literally just got out and hopped around the next person, and so on and so forth. I just laughed and left.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 22:11

From Butler, Pa
I heard this once while fishing with my neighbor who doesnt take kindly to this, and I think its the best way to handle it. You simply say out loud so they can hear, "pretty big f----n creek aint it?!"

Posted on: 2013/4/16 23:15

From Butler, Pa
and rickb as far as people crowding me, its always other flyfisherman, most spin guys see me and kinda walk away or move on, other fly guys stop right beside me and strike up conversation trying to figure out what flies im using and what not, it gets kind of annoying actually

Posted on: 2013/4/16 23:20

From SW Pennsylvania
I treat other fishermen like they have leprosy. If they get close I move on. If I see another fisherman, I work around them as if I were deer hunting not to disturb them. I have a hard time in Pulaski, NY and during the first couple of days of trout season in PA. If I get into a situation with another fisherman where they are on top of me out of nowhere I let my body language do the talking. If they don't get the hint I move. Although it pains me to be the bigger man, I refrain from tying on a streamer and trying to cross lines. It's embarrassing to say, but my younger self would have been confrontational. Deep breaths, and a swig of Crown Royal help me enjoy the time on the water. The majority of these freezer packers will be gone in a few weeks.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 23:22

From Johnstown, PA
To answer this question honestly , i have to say later in the year , around June , i'm willing to let the "GOOGANS" have their fun for awhile but after it gets nice , GO BASS FISHIN n fake the kids with ya they will love u 4 it...........send

Posted on: 2013/4/17 5:04

From Chester County
Both the stocked fish and the anglers that pursue them, tend to huddle together into tight pods. Soon both will either disappear or disperse, and both the fish and fishermen will return to a more natural state in our streams.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 8:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com