Where do you draw the line?

R

Rickb326

I know that this time of the season is when the local trout streams are just pounded with anglers. So I know that you are just bound to see people, but why do some have to be so inconsiderate? Yesterday on my way home from work I pulled into a DHALO section. No one was around. I started fishing and literally no less than 5 minutes another angler comes down and is casting over top of my line. So I moved on.

In such a situation, my goal is to inform the angler that his actions are inconsiderate, without being overly confrontational about it. Not an easy dance. But there is a chance he just doesn't know any better, and needs "taught". But that doesn't work if you immediately take the confrontation route.

There's also the distinct possibility that he does know better, but is just an ******.

When I was involved in a similar situation this spring (though a number on here thought I overreacted), I told the guy, "I wouldn't do that to you," and I left.

I usually just leave in similar situations or move... I do say something to let the person know there is plenty of other water and he doesn't need to hover over me like a vulture. I have had it happen on the Little Lehigh where someone will work there way literally directly across the stream from me and start casting to the same fish I am fishing for... I have to shake my head at that. I saw a T-Shirt the other day... I cant remember where but it read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE FISHING TOO CLOSE."

Not an over-reaction at all. Seems like a pretty clear statement. I always try the "educate the dude" route". If that does not work, no sense having a confrontation. I'll move on. A-holes tend to remain as such.

That t-shirt is neon yellow and will scare all the fish. It would be a giant billboard on you or I. Lol

In any matter I will buy the shirt if somebody can provide a link to where I saw it... should have inquired when I actually saw it!

FB

It's strange that people do this in my opinion, I suppose that they could not know. I typically just move, in part because I want a little room and also because I feel like they constantly stare at you. Hah maybe just me idk.

Say something like: "Excuse me, Sir, if you wanted this hole/run/riffle, you could have asked and I would have given it to you. I don't find it fun to fish on top of one another. There is a lot of water to fish, so I guess one of us should move along." Then wait for his/her suggestion.

Of course, if they already ruined the hole/run/riffle for you, don't wait for his/her suggestion.

I'd throw a huge rock in the water if he didn't wok it out nicely and just move to another spot. Even when I spin fished, I was always considerate of fellow anglers.

Fairly sure the types that do this get bigger kicks seeing it complained about on a forum.

I'm always asking if its ok to fish near someone or across from them when I feel that I may be encroaching. I'm even a little hesitant when they say it's ok.

Many a times the Serenity Prayer has come in handy....God grant me the serenity to except the things I cannot change...which includes a..holes and idiots.

Now the real question is: If you were friends with the person, would it make a difference?

To a degree I wish that there were more FFO areas, but at the same time I wouldn't want the spin casters who do the right thing to be punished. It just seems that most of the fly fishers that I run into are friendly and are more interested in conservation of the waters than others. It just seems like fly fisherman would rather the fish be there for another day.

I don't think it is a surprise at all. It's just frustrating.

This has happened to me before but I don't like being confrontational, especially when I am unsure abt the right etiquette.

What is the proper distance you should keep to the closest angler assuming he isn't a buddy ur fishing with?

rrt wrote:
When I was involved in a similar situation this spring (though a number on here thought I overreacted), I told the guy, "I wouldn't do that to you," and I left.

Thought? I have no idea who that could have been.;-)

I don't see that as an over reaction at all. If fact I commend you for your restraint. I'd likely have done the same thing, or walked away without saying anything.

I'm a glutton for punishment and went out on Saturday morning. It's been tradition with my friends and I for years. Same guys, same spot, same beer. This year was a little different though. Showed up at the usual spot at 5:30am and it was barricaded off where we always park. The landowner was there guarding his property because someone tore up his field last year on opening day. We bs'd with him for a few minutes and he told us we were good to park on his land. Get down to the stream a few hundred yards away from my truck and there's nobody in sight of us. Standing there having a few celebratory "our wife's let us out for a whole day" beers, and then it happens. One lone fisherman coming our way. There are four of us with our gear spread out every 40 feet or so and this guy decides to step over our gear and get in right in the middle of us. Not another fisherman within a quarter mile in either direction and he picks our spot. We expressed our displeasure with his choice a few different ways, but he didn't care. He tells us he's fished here for years and he's not going anywhere. At 8am, one of my buddies was literally rubbing elbows with him but he held his ground. We moved on and figured it wasn't worth the fight.

Back