Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Where do you draw the line?

From Philadelphia PA
Yesterday this guy's kid threw a stick in the river and he let his son know that he did wrong. I praised him for not throwing his son in after it.

Then later on this drunk lady was in the water....she was complaining that her (you know what) was freezing. she got her boyfriends fishing line wrapped around her leg or foot. When she got out and got the line off of her I almost yelled out that they would have to put her back in the water because your not allowed to keep snaggers. Since they were all drunk I kept quiet. Anyways she was spooking the fish.

From a Jedi Flyer, "It seams that more and more fisherpeople are becoming more and more inconsiderate these days. I can only hope that I am not turning to the "Dark Side".

Blessed are those that fish where no ones around to bother them.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:10
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
What is the proper distance you should keep to the closest angler assuming he isn't a buddy ur fishing with?

There's no clear answer to this question. It depends on the situation and the crowds. At worst (for very crowded situations), the rule of thumb is to never fish the same water/fish as someone else. This would be like in the more popular areas of the Erie steelhead fishery, or sometimes on opening day in some locations. If you have to get any closer than that, I simply don't fish.

But on a small, remote, stream, there are MANY situations where if you see a car parked, you simply don't fish there. And if you come across a fishermen unexpectedly, you give him AT LEAST a half mile in the direction he is fishing. More often, I simply talk to him.

"Excuse me sir. I didn't know you were here, and I don't want to get in your way. I don't want to cut you off, can you tell me how far you expect to fish today?" "Ok, I'll start above that."

Most situations are in between. A common situation, medium sized stream. There are plenty of guys about, and it's impossible to fish and not cut someone off in the direction they are moving. But it's not so crowded that you have to impede upon their reasonable solitude. 1 fishermen per pool is a typical rule of thumb. If someone's fishing that pool, go to the next one. Spring Creek is a typical example, where this situation exists more often than not.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:47

From Couldn't Care Less
I love when Pcray answers my questions .. thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/17 13:17

From Valley Forge
I know man its pretty awesome

Posted on: 2013/4/17 14:01

From Luzerne County, PA
I've found that if openly start a positive discussion with someone they will lighten up and act more like a decent human. I don't believe most guys head down to the creek intending to have a confrontation (unless they're russian).

You can back off and say something like "I was hoping to see some insect activity today". Build a rapport and take a few minutes from fishing to talk, break the ice so to speak.

The guy might not back off and leave your spot but he should recognize you as someone that he should show some respect to rather than just a guy that's in his way, the diplomatic approach you could call it.

I think most early season fishermen are too focused on catching a trout to show any reasonable form of human decency, they have "trout fever".

On the other hand I had a spot yesterday with brush all behind and no real opportunity to wade out, a roll cast wasn't getting the distance I wanted. I used a side to side cast that went right and left of me 30 feet or so, 2 guys showed up and started to approach but stayed their distance after watching me cast, it seemed to work, lol.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 16:44

From Pittsburgh, PA
The easy answer is you move on, but make sure to wade directly through the hole or run on your way out splashing and sloshing as loud as you can.

If he follows you to the next hole an "errant" cast with a size 2 bugger should do the trick.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 20:36

From Philadelphia
I like the circumspection here. Very measured. But jeez...how can anyone not know that fishing over someone's line is just plain rude? That said, yes, no point in trying to educate an A-hole. I just move on trying to not have the day spoiled by my ( hopefully brief) dark thoughts.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/4/17 21:23

From Maytown, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
What is the proper distance you should keep to the closest angler assuming he isn't a buddy ur fishing with?

More often, I simply talk to him.

"Excuse me sir. I didn't know you were here, and I don't want to get in your way. I don't want to cut you off, can you tell me how far you expect to fish today?" "Ok, I'll start above that."

I think is a great way to show others the proper fishing etiquette. Are we here to just teach technique and tools? Is this subject ever talked about at Jams and newbie classes?

I did exactly that the other night. I dropped over the side of a bridge and down to the water and started stringing up my rod and tieing a fly on. Then I realized there was a guy on the other side of the bridge already fishing the whole. I apologized and said I will move up and out of his way. He said no don't worry he was leaving soon. We had a nice conversation, he was local and new to fly fishing. I told him about this site and a little about the stream and moved up out of his way. Now I would have been the one intruding on his space, but tried to set a good example of how we should behave. Still you will get those guys it won't make a difference to.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 21:54

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I dunno, I just threaten to drown people.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:34

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Harrisburg
Y'see, that's why we still have a problem. Don't just threaten!

Posted on: 2013/4/18 1:18

From Philadelphia PA
"Two wrongs do not make a right". Do not lower yourself to their level.
3 years ago I guy was smarting off to me because I was catching trout after trout. When I smarted back at him, he threatened to kick my ass and take my trout (8 1/2 lb Palamino) for 50 cents. At that point it was time to leave the area.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:33
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From LV
They all know better, but they don't care.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:21

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
When I smarted back at him, he threatened to kick my ass and take my trout (8 1/2 lb Palamino) for 50 cents. At that point it was time to leave the area.
That is funny as hell!

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:50

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com