Where do we stand?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

Did you ever wonder where we stand as fishermen/women when we see blank spaces where the %'s are supposed to be regarding the amount of public (open/closed) & private (open/closed) water on the Pa Class A Wild Trout Streams list? There are quite a few streams where there's no info. Any insight on this?

Many of the streams that are on the list were only surveyed once, so in a case where there is no information as to whether a stream is open or closed it's most likely that the info was so old PFBC has not kept the info there. In other cases it may be that they failed to contact the landowner. At any rate always ask permission to fish if you can knock on the door.
Since I rarely fish on private land it's not usually an issue for me, if it's a stocked stream, something I avoid like the plague, I assume it's open, unless posted. That's probably a bad assumption on my part, but it is the landowners responsibility to post their land if it's along a stream that is stocked. Again I don't run into this problem because I rarely fish stocked water. Keeping in mind that landowner attitudes have changed since the good old days, asking permission is always a good idea.
I've only been turned down once, and that was along Mill Creek in Cresco.
As far as where we stand, PFBC has to find a way to fund easements and purchase land along important trout streams that have private water along them, or we will one day run out of water to stock, and wild trout streams to fish. MOST STREAMS ARE ON PRIVATE LAND. Anglers have been hammering PFBC for years about access, they seem to not realize it's a problem. It is a huge problem.

Chaz wrote:
Many of the streams that are on the list were only surveyed once, so in a case where there is no information as to whether a stream is open or closed it's most likely that the info was so old PFBC has not kept the info there. In other cases it may be that they failed to contact the landowner. At any rate always ask permission to fish if you can knock on the door.
Since I rarely fish on private land it's not usually an issue for me, if it's a stocked stream, something I avoid like the plague, I assume it's open, unless posted. That's probably a bad assumption on my part, but it is the landowners responsibility to post their land if it's along a stream that is stocked. Again I don't run into this problem because I rarely fish stocked water. Keeping in mind that landowner attitudes have changed since the good old days, asking permission is always a good idea.
I've only been turned down once, and that was along Mill Creek in Cresco.
As far as where we stand, PFBC has to find a way to fund easements and purchase land along important trout streams that have private water along them, or we will one day run out of water to stock, and wild trout streams to fish. MOST STREAMS ARE ON PRIVATE LAND. Anglers have been hammering PFBC for years about access, they seem to not realize it's a problem. It is a huge problem.

Agreed! The PFBC has a program based on matching funds donated by anglers/citizens but does a lousy job of promoting it. It's called the CAPS program........never heard of it?!? You must search the PFBC site to find it.

http://www.fishandboat.com/caphandout1.pdf

Back