Where To Fish On Opening Day To Avoid the Crowds In SEPA?

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Do you skip opening day or go somewhere remote? I was thinking the Octarara maybe? It is a bit distant from Delco and Philly.

I am curious how crowded a delayed harvest would be on opening day. Maybe that would be something to consider?

I have never fished a stocked stream on opening day. In fact, I noticed a decline in angling pressure on spring creek on past opening days.

I might try a delayed harvest on opening day, or fish for smallies.

Good thought PWK. In addition to the Octorara the Prof and I were thinking the DH section of White Clay.

For the fourth consecutive year I won't be able to fish on opening day...problem solved!

If I could fish, it would probably be a small, remote, nat repro stream though. One of those where it's more hiking than fishing.

I agree w/ Swattie. Swattie knows my recent kick w/ a local brookie stream.

Scheduling conflits prevent me from going on Saturday though.

Fish a warmwater fishery for SMB/LMB?

Poopy on that, I am fishing the Jordan for huge stockers. I might even keep a big one or two for friends to eat. Thinking I might actually use the 10'6 fly rod the whole day and not just after the crowds disperse. That will keep numbnuts from crowding me. Gonna pound with sucker spawns, ipw worms, and caddis larvae. Should be a blast.

I am with Becker. I will be on the quittie fishing the same area I do every year. The last three have resulted in 5 palominos over 17. Opening day to me isnt too much about the fishing. Its a fun tradition that gets alot of my family and friends together. Its actually the one day I love to see crowds. I enjoy walking up and down the stream talking about random stuff with others. Usually keep some fish for a big family fish fry afterwards.

Yea it is really about hanging out all night with friends. Laughing and having a good time. I get in a fight every year though, with idiots. It's a tradition, 15 years at the same hole. However, this year with the water so low, I might have to move down stream a little where there are 3 fish 24+ hiding and another 60 trout. It's just a good day to pound stockers.

Huh. That sounds kind of fun, Becks. Too bad I'm busy (well, kind of too bad. I'm really looking forward to my other plans on Saturday, but I'm sorry to miss the circus fishing!)

When to fish is probably more important than where to fish in many cases. Based on angler use counts that I have done for years on opening day, anglers really thin out between 10AM and 11AM. Also, since the new regional opener went into effect, water temps have been much lower in SE Pa at 8AM on the opener than previously experienced. I have seen some evidence and heard from very reliable sources that afternoon fishing has been much better than in the past. But, if you're looking for less crowding at 8AM, the DH areas would be a good bet I have been told. If you're determined to be on the water at 8AM and on a regular stocked trout stream, then I would recommend the more rural, at least in appearance, SE Pa streams, especially the smaller ones. Some Lancaster Co streams, and those in NE Berks, NW Lehigh, and Schuylkill Co might be good bets.

It will be a circus everywhere! Find your local brookie stream, an be all to your lonesome.

You guys are taking the wrong approach - except for you Beck, I'm down with that, and your avatar....*cough* a-hem, anyway.

Here is what I've been told NOT to do by some friends of mine as this is my first forray into fly fishing from spin fishing:

"If you try to stand in the middle of the stream and fly fish on opening day Jim, you're looking for a fight" What??? Yeah, seriously, that's what I was told. Apparently the "tradition" is so rich around here that us fly guys dare not tread on the spinners territory.

That being said, my game plan is this: Get up at approx 4:30 AM. Pack grill/gear/cooler in truck. Get to stream around 5:30 AM and procede to commence the kegs and eggs festivites in honor of the great annual trout tribute stocking, may the odds be ever in my favor.

After breakfast, defend my territory by making "horrible" casts (which I will do anyway) over, on top of, or in the direction of the spin caster who decides 10 feet away from me is a good spot to be in. All my misdirected casts can, and will be chalked up to my having just started fly fishing. Maybe I am looking for a fight...but mostly just with a big fish.....mostly.

Make sure you have a size 2 bead head bugger on...you can hear it thunk as you cuff em upside the head with it...

You can always go bass fishing.

I'll be golfing.

I'll be visiting Bucknell. More likely to fish the next weekend when all the yahoos go home.

+1 to dave. Ill be bass fishing opening day for sure. If anyone sees me, they will be driving by laughing at me because they didn't stock that creek ;)

Hey Becker,the way the Jordan is dropping you won't have to "fish" for those pelletheads,just wade in to your ankles and pick them up by the tail.

By the way it is dropping? , its there already. I fish a nice section with some great water. Not crappy Home Depot beer can fishing water.

Back