Whats your favorite Nymph for fall fishing?

jwatts

jwatts

Looking to hit a few streams this fall, whats everyones favorite nymph and size?

woolly bugger- size 6

Pheasant tail nymph size 14-18.

PT 14/16, Prince (same size), and a tan scud for the limestoners.

Gotta be the green weenie.

PT in 16 or 18, sometimes with a brassie as a dropper

I like a Prince in a 12 or 14.

Pheasant Tail nymph #18,#20

Bead head hares ear, size 16-18. Soft hackle is good.

JeffK wrote:
I like a Prince in a 12 or 14.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one favoring bigger, fatter nymphs. I almost posted size 12 as well.

I like black bugger (6/8) or bead head caddis (14) with a zebra (18-22) trailing. I fish it slightly up and high stick the drift. The catch s almost always on the midge.
Coughlin

How far behind do you have the midge larva trailing from the larger fly? Do you tie it off of the bend?

A mink bead head size 14

Hey, barbless, sorry, I've been away. I tie it about 6-8 inches behind the lead fly and off the bend. Because the midge will swing out ahead of the caddis or bugger, it can't be a straight upstream cast. The slightly upstream gives things a few seconds to sink, but I'm really looking for the take as the rig begins to swing.
Happy fall fishing
Coughlin

let's add beadhead Green Scud to the list.

I like the large Prince Beadhead as well....I also used one that had a copper beadhead and did real well..Not sure what the name of it was.

#13(barbless)...It all depends on the water depth and current. I usually use around 2 1/2 to 3' at PennyPack creek.....at Nashaminy its about 2' from the dry fly.

Back